Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Pro players using retail racquets? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=490273)

DefensiveTennis 01-28-2014 01:15 PM

Pro players using retail racquets?

This is a thread to collect information on pro players of any level who use retail racquets.

They may put lead on the racquet but the frame itself is not a pro stock frame, meaning we can buy their frame and customize it exactly to their specs if we so wish.

I will start it off.

Michael Russell uses a retail Pure Drive.
Denis Kudla using a retail technifibre racquet, (not 100% sure which one)
Filip Peliwo- Wilson Blade 98
Jerzy Janowicz-Aerostorm with 28 grams added to handle
Eugenie Bouchard with the retail APD+ 2013

Add any info you have on pro players using retail racquets below.

Irvin 01-28-2014 01:43 PM

Kudla uses a T-Flight 325

dgoran 01-28-2014 02:38 PM

Can we post past examples like players who use to but switched since

DefensiveTennis 01-28-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgoran (Post 8080365)
Can we post past examples like players who use to but switched since

Go for it as long as they played at pro level with that stock racquet.
eg. If player A used a retail Prestige when he was playing challengers but now uses a pro stock.

dgoran 01-28-2014 03:57 PM

Well reason I was asking is because its easy answer than (although you might not be looking for this answer) since almost all of the pros started with a retail stick than later on switched to paint jobs since most of the time companies "invent" new racquets and discontinue old ones thus leaving pro no other option but to use paint jobbed racquet. If you are looking for specific Milos raonic used nblade but now wilson is painting that same blade to look like new blade.

Second point almost all Babolat sponsored players use retail counterparts but in cases like Fogna roddick and lapentti (and any older players) that started with babolat long time ago before cortex are using non cortex version 2nd gen pure drive (pre team). While those that switched since use or used cortex like Querrey, tsonga (before he changed to strike) Przysiezni, Paire JP Smith, Kokkinakis M Reed, Jordan etc...

Third when players with racquet companies like from head to wilson, they are sometimes stuck with using custom / pro stock / paint jobbed frames since that new sponsor might not produce currently the same type of racquet that he or she is use to using like Monfils pretty much used Prestige frames from Juniors so when he went to prince they fitted him in something similar but now that he went to wilson they had to give him pro stock h19 (Prestige copy) since they are not currently selling at retail anything close

As a general rule older the player more likely is that he is using paint jobbed version of discontinued retail stick

dgoran 01-28-2014 04:03 PM

For me interesting example is Clijsters that after layoff was perfectly happy to switch to retail Pure Drive with first cortex than Active cortex from her trusty 2nd gen pure drive...

They are similar but not the same so I guess she is not that picky. Same with Li Na that went from previous Pure drive cortex to now one 2012 ac Pure drive

Schwelli 01-29-2014 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefensiveTennis (Post 8079993)
This is a thread to collect information on pro players of any level who use retail racquets.

They may put lead on the racquet but the frame itself is not a pro stock frame, meaning we can buy their frame and customize it exactly to their specs if we so wish.

I will start it off.

Michael Russell uses a retail Pure Drive.
Denis Kudla using a retail technifibre racquet, (not 100% sure which one)
Filip Peliwo- Wilson Blade 98

Add any info you have on pro players using retail racquets below.

Peliwo is using Tecnifibre now.

DefensiveTennis 01-29-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwelli (Post 8082246)
Peliwo is using Tecnifibre now.

He used a regular unleaded untampered retail Wilson Blade 98 to win 3 junior grand slams and get to around 300 in the world.

This thread is to document pros that use/have used retail racquets whilst they were on tour.

dgoran 01-29-2014 01:36 PM

Janowicz aerostorm with 28 grams added to the handle

Power Player 01-29-2014 01:39 PM

Special K, the newest Aussie sensation is by all accounts, using a retail Ai98.

darklore009 01-29-2014 01:48 PM

Eugenie Bouchard with the retail APD+ 2013

dgoran 01-29-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 8083442)
Special K, the newest Aussie sensation is by all accounts, using a retail Ai98.

I think he is using previous model stock...

dgoran 01-29-2014 02:00 PM

This one
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yone...EX-YEZX98.html

dgoran 01-29-2014 02:14 PM

[IMG]oHzpUpu7EqTN2AWa9ICoAQ[/img]

Power Player 01-29-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgoran (Post 8083511)
I think he is using previous model stock...

I can't argue with the great Dgoran :)

But, the reason I think it may be the ai, is he even had the muted grommet tech in the throat on the bottom. I mean, that would be a heck of a PJ.

dgoran 01-29-2014 02:31 PM

You might be right I did not look into it that closely but I remember that new one has different head more rounded like old ivanovic model (can't remember the model name) and when I saw special k I noticed that head was not round but more like xi...see this image... what do you think?

dgoran 01-29-2014 02:34 PM

Vs

Power Player 01-29-2014 02:43 PM

In that picture, it indeed looks the xi head shape. But I saw other angles and it looked more round, so who knows.

I guess my other question on it is - does he get a PJ yet? Not sure if he is even top 50.

dgoran 01-29-2014 03:09 PM

Somebody from japan posted that his few friends ATP pros that are yonex sponsored all have custom racquets so would not surprise me...BTW did you try xi vs ai is it much different? If it is different I would say 90% that its paintjob with maybe clear inserts in grommets but if its the same that I can see kyrgy switching

Power Player 01-29-2014 03:28 PM

Yeah an ex WTA teaching pro at the WP courts hits with the XI and has the yy PTP string in it. Its more muted and sluggish. The feel on the ai98 is muted/plush/ but it also feels a bit like an APD. I know that sounds a little odd, but thats what it is like.

Reminds me a lot of a Blade mixed with an aerostorm or APD in terms of feel. It has less power than an APD, but equal control and power to a blade.