Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Please explain Del Petro's Racquet Situation (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=490766)

REKX 02-01-2014 07:30 PM

Please explain Del Petro's Racquet Situation

From my experience and understanding, the strings and tension make most of the difference, frames are generally always constructed solid.

Of course we know most of the pro's have customised racquets, although companies like Wilson release new racquets every so often, the ones they give the pro's are just paint jobs for marketing reasons. Wilson must know exactly the racquet Del Potro uses, it will be in their 'secret' directory along with all the others. Federer has been using the same racquet for like 10 years, Wilson provided exactly what he needed. Federer would not want to change his game to match a new racquet, and this applies to all the Pro's who regularly receive new racquets.

Sure this is all in Del Potro's mind? Otherwise every time a pro received a racquet their game would have suffered?

The man has a excellent forehand, hard and low, and efficient backhand, he is one of the best base liners and very good mover for his size. Using a 5 year old frame and coming to 5 set matches with 2 racquets, surely he is not doing himself favours.

Cmon delpo sort it out.

degrease 02-02-2014 02:52 AM

As a racket gets older the graphite or whatever "softens" giving it a different feel. James blake also had this problem. I think i read del potro using an old k factor but giving him new ones dont feel the same. Pro's have very sensitive feel so minimal changes they can register

HRB 02-02-2014 07:47 AM

Mental and superstitious....all in his head, and besides if he was willing to give an PT57a a chance it'd be so much easier on his wrist...hell even Wilsons H22 knockoff of the Head! I love me the 6.1's but with a wrist issue...not the best choice.

strive 02-02-2014 02:05 PM

Even though he has been using his old racquets that he perceives softer, he is having another wrist injury. He should put his doubts on stiffer new racquets at rest.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-02-2014 02:34 PM

I think he wanted to stick with the exact setup that won him the US Open, even down to the paintjob. Haha

Seth 02-02-2014 03:56 PM

Del Petrol.

Lukhas 02-02-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 8094786)
I think he wanted to stick with the exact setup that won him the US Open, even down to the paintjob. Haha

They did produce some; same specs, same PJ, smae vib' dampener. Just search some of the threads on the matter. "It doesn't feel the same" was his answer. Maybe if they put it in a machine to wear it out prematurily, who knows?

BreakPoint 02-02-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by degrease (Post 8093315)
As a racket gets older the graphite or whatever "softens" giving it a different feel. James blake also had this problem. I think i read del potro using an old k factor but giving him new ones dont feel the same. Pro's have very sensitive feel so minimal changes they can register

Del Potro never used a K-Factor. It's a paintjob. He uses the old ProStaff 6.1 Classic underneath the paintjob. A racquet which came out in 1991. Wilson hasn't made them in a very, very long time, which is probably why Del Potro can't get any more.

Silent 02-02-2014 04:54 PM

It's very simple for Del Potro.

Either he changes his racquet, or he changes his career.

As soon as he understands that, he will be at peace.

ENJOY TENNIS 02-02-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent (Post 8095217)
It's very simple for Del Potro.

Either he changes his racquet, or he changes his career.

As soon as he understands that, he will be at peace.

Good point

REKX 02-02-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by degrease (Post 8093315)

I still dont see how this is a 'problem', if it were true then many pro's would suffer from this issue.

REKX 02-02-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 8095190)
Del Potro never used a K-Factor. It's a paintjob. He uses the old ProStaff 6.1 Classic underneath the paintjob. A racquet which came out in 1991. Wilson hasn't made them in a very, very long time, which is probably why Del Potro can't get any more.

Wilson do not make any racquets that proffesionals use as they are all custom made.

Players wont just 'switch' to different racquets when Wilson decide to bring out a new line for business and marketing reasons, it does not work like that. Players like a certain frame and their companies ensure they are getting it.

Ask the players on these forums, most including my self play with a certain racquet with certain strings and tension, we do not change because it is what we are comfortable with and works best for our technique. You cannot expect Pro's to change, unless is major like what Federer has done recently.

aer0pr0 02-02-2014 06:34 PM

i have two prostaff 95 6.1classic... maybe he wants to buy them:P del potro if you are reading this PM me :D hehehehe

its strange how that crazy ******* plays with such a old school racket and never changed it...its time

i really cant imagine a PRO having only two frames.. but my question is: three or 4 months ago he still had 4 frames!! what happened to the other 2 lol??

BreakPoint 02-02-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REKX (Post 8095467)
Wilson do not make any racquets that proffesionals use as they are all custom made.

Players wont just 'switch' to different racquets when Wilson decide to bring out a new line for business and marketing reasons, it does not work like that. Players like a certain frame and their companies ensure they are getting it.

Ask the players on these forums, most including my self play with a certain racquet with certain strings and tension, we do not change because it is what we are comfortable with and works best for our technique. You cannot expect Pro's to change, unless is major like what Federer has done recently.

Of course Wilson makes the racquets that the pros use. No, Wilson does not usually make custom racquets for the pros unless they are planning to come out with a new model or if the racquet does not fit their current line-up. Wilson makes the stock racquets and then AFTERWARDS, they may be customized by racquet customizers like Priority One or RPNY or by the players themselves.

Just because a model is no longer sold at retail does not mean that Wilson does not make that racquet. They still make the stock old models for some pros with new paintjobs on them but you cannot buy them at retail because Wilson only wants to sell the new models to the general public and not the old models that are out-of-date but still loved by the pros.

Just because a racquet is an old model does not make it a custom racquet.

Amphor 02-03-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 8095190)

And i have always wondered why his racket doesn't look quite the same as K-factors Fed used (not saying that they weren't paintjobs either)...

McLovin 02-03-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amphor (Post 8097815)
And i have always wondered why his racket doesn't look quite the same as K-factors Fed used (not saying that they weren't paintjobs either)...

That's because they used completely different frames. Del Potro the Pro Staff Classic 6.1 mold (95 sq in, 22mm beam width), Fed the Pro Staff Original (85 or 88 sq in...can't remember, 17mm beam width).

Amphor 02-04-2014 04:48 AM

It was quite the rhetorical question, by the way

McLovin 02-04-2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amphor (Post 8098837)
It was quite the rhetorical question, by the way

Sorry about that. It is sometimes hard to tell who is kidding and who is serious.

WARPWOODIE 02-07-2014 12:53 PM

Boy o' boy...I recently acquired two the racquets below from a second hand store at $5.95 each! I would rate the condition as being 7/8 out of 10. I know he is short on racquets, I'm wondering if he will take mines ;-)

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...html?from=this

Also, I noticed that Del Potro is not currently in this website's (tennis warehouse) Wilson Player Profile. Is this because he is not using a current model? Just one of those hmmm??...what's going on moments.

Amphor 02-07-2014 03:26 PM

You mean racket-wise?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/play...ode=JMDELPOTRO

here is the profile, though yes, no rackets mentioned. Federer is on the Rackets' page though. I think it's becuase his previous model is still being sold while Delpo's isn't