Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Head Graphine Prestige S Review (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=491443)

JackB1 02-08-2014 06:30 AM

Head Graphine Prestige S Review

Played some more with the G Prestige S tonite and it continues to impress. It is very similar to the Graphene Rad MP but with a much nicer feel on impact. Mishits are also not harsh like with the Rad. I strung one up with a multi/copoly hybrid since its a lower powered racquet, but it had plenty of power with that combo. Great for touch and feel shots. It has a low stiffness rating of 61, but the Graphene keeps it from feeling to dampened or flexy. Specs are almost perfect for me and it works great for my all court type of game.

Wasn't expecting to like this one, but Head did a nice job on this update. Looks great too with the red cap grommets. I picked up a demo a couple of weeks ago and immediately felt comfortable with it. Played against a 4.5 player tonite and pushed him to 6-4 in the 2nd set. I was overmatched but I still managed a few service breaks and hit some really nice winners here and there. Serve was clicking too. Not much to complain about with this one.

SCRAP IRON 02-08-2014 07:11 AM

Jack- I am curious if you have ever played with the PRESTIGE S? I am referring to the previous versions, which would not be the Graphene models. I found the Prestige S to have good specs and very easy to use. The problem is that it was too soft and ultimately did not allow me to dictate pace in order to control points. As a reference, I am an experienced 4.5 player with fast strokes.

mpournaras 02-08-2014 09:01 AM

The G Prestige S is the 16x19 Radical everyone wanted with a hair less of swingweight.

YesTennis 02-08-2014 09:06 AM

It seems that most people are saying that they like the G Prestige S more than the G Radical MP. The fact that the G Prestige S is somewhat of a lower powered racquet, I was thinking of trying one with Gut/Poly. On a related note, Jack, just wondering how you like the Volkl Psycho hybrid? By using the multi in the mains, just wondering how many hours you'll get out of the set-up? Thanks

monomer 02-08-2014 09:57 AM

I love this racquet. I had tried the Youtek and IG Prestige Pros and found them to be just a little too sluggish for me. Actually, the weight would have been OK if they were more HL. I added some weight to the buttcap of the Graphene S and the spec's are perfect for me at 11.6 oz, 8 HL.

I had been alternating between an 18x20 Blade and original APD for some time (yes, I know they are opposites). I love the APD but it lacks control and I hit it a bit too loopy. The Blade had great control but I had no confidence with my serve.

The Graphene Prestige S has excellent control and I am serving great with it. It doesn't have the power of the APD but my ability to hit the corners has greatly improved. I have it strung with BHB7 at 54 lbs. and feel like I can swing out on groundstrokes and have great control. It also gives me the right trajectory without having to concentrate on hitting flatter or with more spin.

I have a second on the way and will try stringing it lower or a gut/poly hybrid. A little more power may be good but not if I give up the control and confidence I have with the current setup.

I try a lot of racquets and typically don't get a honeymoon period. I usually can tell right away how I'm going to do with it. So far there isn't anything I don't like about the Prestige S.

JackB1 02-08-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRAP IRON (Post 8109366)
Jack- I am curious if you have ever played with the PRESTIGE S? I am referring to the previous versions, which would not be the Graphene models. I found the Prestige S to have good specs and very easy to use. The problem is that it was too soft and ultimately did not allow me to dictate pace in order to control points. As a reference, I am an experienced 4.5 player with fast strokes.

yes I tried the previous model and found it a little too demanding for me due to its extra weight and soft flex. I find the Graphene model slightly more powerful and firmer feeling. Whether or not its too soft for you it's hard to say softness is kind of a personal thing. I can say for sure it's not as soft as the prior model.

JackB1 02-08-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YesTennis (Post 8109562)
It seems that most people are saying that they like the G Prestige S more than the G Radical MP. The fact that the G Prestige S is somewhat of a lower powered racquet, I was thinking of trying one with Gut/Poly. On a related note, Jack, just wondering how you like the Volkl Psycho hybrid? By using the multi in the mains, just wondering how many hours you'll get out of the set-up? Thanks

I love the Psycho hybrid in other racquets but havent tried it in the S yet.
I'm sure gut/poly would be great. I am not a string breaker and I dont have issues with muli/poly, but that's me.

YesTennis 02-08-2014 10:43 AM

I'm not a big string breaker either. That's why I was thinking about the gut/poly to get a little extra pop. I've heard good things about the Psycho, and was thinking about giving it a try. The price is right. Jack, when you used the Psycho, do you go multi/poly or poly/multi? Finally, just trying to decide on string tension. Was thinking about 53 for the gut or multi, and about 51 for the poly-any thoughts?

JackB1 02-08-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YesTennis (Post 8109717)
I'm not a big string breaker either. That's why I was thinking about the gut/poly to get a little extra pop. I've heard good things about the Psycho, and was thinking about giving it a try. The price is right. Jack, when you used the Psycho, do you go multi/poly or poly/multi? Finally, just trying to decide on string tension. Was thinking about 53 for the gut or multi, and about 51 for the poly-any thoughts?

For the S I would do multi mains at 54, crosses at 50.

blt2280 02-08-2014 10:55 AM

are you switching racquets JackB?

JackB1 02-08-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blt2280 (Post 8109738)
are you switching racquets JackB?

Cant say yet. Too early in the going.

JackB1 02-08-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monomer (Post 8109643)
I love this racquet. I had tried the Youtek and IG Prestige Pros and found them to be just a little too sluggish for me. Actually, the weight would have been OK if they were more HL. I added some weight to the buttcap of the Graphene S and the spec's are perfect for me at 11.6 oz, 8 HL.

I had been alternating between an 18x20 Blade and original APD for some time (yes, I know they are opposites). I love the APD but it lacks control and I hit it a bit too loopy. The Blade had great control but I had no confidence with my serve.

The Graphene Prestige S has excellent control and I am serving great with it. It doesn't have the power of the APD but my ability to hit the corners has greatly improved. I have it strung with BHB7 at 54 lbs. and feel like I can swing out on groundstrokes and have great control. It also gives me the right trajectory without having to concentrate on hitting flatter or with more spin.

I have a second on the way and will try stringing it lower or a gut/poly hybrid. A little more power may be good but not if I give up the control and confidence I have with the current setup.

I try a lot of racquets and typically don't get a honeymoon period. I usually can tell right away how I'm going to do with it. So far there isn't anything I don't like about the Prestige S.

I agree its a great racquet. Too bad not many have tried it yet. Question for you...do you notice a big dropoff in power from the APD?

Vasuri 02-08-2014 12:10 PM

Is the G Prestige S a true 98 size? The IG versions were smaller than 98.

How is the sweetspot/forgiveness and power level? Any comparison to other racquets welcome, especially IG prestige pro or the new Yonex exoze Ai 98. I am also considering the Ai 98, but a little concerned that it might be too powerful. Like lower powered racquets but would welcome decent size sweetspot and some degree of forgiveness.

YesTennis 02-08-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasuri (Post 8109920)

How is the sweetspot/forgiveness and power level? Any comparison to other racquets welcome, especially IG prestige pro or the new Yonex exoze Ai 98. I am also considering the Ai 98, but a little concerned that it might be too powerful. Like lower powered racquets but would welcome decent size sweetspot and some degree of forgiveness.

I asked the same question on the "Ask TW thread." In the past, the Head 98's were closer to 95.

I'd also like to hear any comparisons between the AI98 and G Prestige S. Based on the specs, and the talk on the Ai98 thread, it seem that the power levels are somewhat similar. The talk seems to be that the power of the Ai100, but not the Ai98.

Jason reported that the G Prestige S was very similar to the G Radical MP(power level, etc....).

JackB1 02-08-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

About the size, it looks and feels the same as the AI 98.

The sweetspot/forgiveness is about the same as the AI 98. Power level is about the same too. I couldnt imagine either racquet being too powerful with full poly. Neither one is very powerful IMO. Biggest difference for me is how easily the S swings compared to the heavier AI 98. I think it would give you what you are looking for.

monomer 02-08-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 8109769)
I agree its a great racquet. Too bad not many have tried it yet. Question for you...do you notice a big dropoff in power from the APD?

Yes, it definitely has less power than the APD. I have had a love/hate relationship with the APD and have been back and forth with it for several years. It just has more power and less control than I need.

I would think that gut/poly would be great in the Prestige S for anyone that wants more power.

monomer 02-08-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

The IG Prestige Pro is nothing like the Graphene S. The IG is much heavier feeling and stiffer. The S is probably a little light for most people that would use a Prestige. For me that's perfect because there is room to weight it exactly how you like.

floydcouncil 02-08-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 8109316)
Played some more with the G Prestige S tonite and it continues to impress. It is very similar to the Graphene Rad MP but with a much nicer feel on impact. Mishits are also not harsh like with the Rad. I strung one up with a multi/copoly hybrid since its a lower powered racquet, but it had plenty of power with that combo. Great for touch and feel shots. It has a low stiffness rating of 61, but the Graphene keeps it from feeling to dampened or flexy. Specs are almost perfect for me and it works great for my all court type of game.

Wow!!! you were able to isolate the feel of the Graphene in the racquet. Head should hire you to test their next secret recipe called "Whatchamacallit".

zapvor 02-09-2014 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydcouncil (Post 8110595)
Wow!!! you were able to isolate the feel of the Graphene in the racquet. Head should hire you to test their next secret recipe called "Whatchamacallit".

hahahahaha exactly. i actually felt the graphene in the butt cap. gave me 21% more spin, but only .6mph on serves

JackB1 02-09-2014 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydcouncil (Post 8110595)

When I say "Graphene" I am referring to the Graphene model as compared to the Youtek IG. All the Graphene models have a stiffer than flex rating feel about them. So while it's rated at 61, it feels quite firm and not mushy. Of course I cannot feel the actual Graphene itself. You guys are too much. :)

My point was that it doesn't feel like a 61. More like a 65.