Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   JMac needs to do a fitness video (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=492035)

christo 02-14-2014 03:39 PM

JMac needs to do a fitness video

The guy is timeless, over 50 and still bringing it. Hitting with all the youngsters
And very rarely injured. How does he do it? He looks fitter now than he did when he played in his prime. I would love to see a DVD with his support team or maybe he doesn't even have one. :shock:

heftylefty 02-14-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 8123447)
The guy is timeless, over 50 and still bringing it. Hitting with all the youngsters
And very rarely injured. How does he do it? He looks fitter now than he did when he played in his prime. I would love to see a DVD with his support team or maybe he doesn't even have one. :shock:

I would be very interest in such a video! I am hardly a Mac fan, but dude is in better shape now then he was in his 30's. I gotta give props to that!

LeeD 02-14-2014 04:12 PM

He's skinnier than he was during his playing days, yes.
But, does that translate to fitness? Or is he just skinnier?

Mr.Lob 02-14-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 8123501)
He's skinnier than he was during his playing days, yes.
But, does that translate to fitness? Or is he just skinnier?

It's certainly translates into being fitter than 99% of the people his age. You see Ivan Lendl lately?

Rock Strongo 02-14-2014 04:38 PM

I would quite like to see him do the dreaded beep test.

I did a thirteen at it ONCE. Killed me physically. He would probably pass it without issues.

To give it some contrast, the only Swedish athlete to ever have passed all 21 levels was cross country skier Gunde Svan. And it gets significantly more brutal each level.

Volley123 02-16-2014 06:43 AM

His playing style is much easier on the joints than his rivals, who grind it out. He said so himself after beating Lendl and Courier in the PS Series. But yea, Lendl and Becker to a greater extent have really let themselves go. Especially surprised about Lendl, who was a freak.

big ted 02-16-2014 08:26 PM

i think one of main reasons hes fit is he really never stopped playing at all. when he retired in 92/93 he still hung around the game, i think he tried to coach becker and bruguera a little, and then went straight to the connors seniors tour, and has been playing some kind of champions tour for the past 20 yrs

BMcFarlan 02-16-2014 09:01 PM

Courier was obsessive about fitness in his playing days and (to mu limited understanding) still is. Yet to the original point John keeps up. He’s typically losing those Champion series matches to Jim and the other younger guys 2 and 3, but that’s pretty impressive considering he’s spending more time in the commentators’ booth than training like he would have in his competitive days.

It’s a valid point he has a more graceful game than Andre and others, but it’s still impressive he’s not out there embarrassing himself. He moves like he’s in slow motion but it’s not like those guys are wiping him off the court with double bagels.

DNShade 02-16-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMcFarlan (Post 8128114)
Courier was obsessive about fitness in his playing days and (to mu limited understanding) still is. Yet to the original point John keeps up. He’s typically losing those Champion series matches to Jim and the other younger guys 2 and 3, but that’s pretty impressive considering he’s spending more time in the commentators’ booth than training like he would have in his competitive days.

It’s a valid point he has a more graceful game than Andre and others, but it’s still impressive he’s not out there embarrassing himself. He moves like he’s in slow motion but it’s not like those guys are wiping him off the court with double bagels.

Just FYI - John has won two of the four Powershares champions series going on this month. Beating Courier, Chang and almost beating Andy Roddick (7-5) in the final of a third. So he is more than holding his own...

big ted 02-16-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNShade (Post 8128153)
Just FYI - John has won two of the four Powershares champions series going on this month. Beating Courier, Chang and almost beating Andy Roddick (7-5) in the final of a third. So he is more than holding his own...

thats true hes actually ranked no1 now, but partly because sampras and agassi havent played this year yet