Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Need Some Doubles Advice (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=499666)

LanEvo 05-07-2014 10:16 AM

Need Some Doubles Advice

Hey guys, so coming up my partner and I will be playing a different type of opponent, they are ones who essentially go double-back at the baseline on all points (at least from what I/we have observed from watching them in previous matches), personally I don't believe the both of us have enough experience playing against these type of opponents and we have talked about certain strategies.

But I want to ask, what the is the best way to play this match? What strategies should/could we use to counter? How would we counter this? We have discussed where we both go to net, but then the opponents could just lob back... What else could we do?

Thanks for all the advice, any helpful comment is very helpful and taken into consideration.

Topspin Shot 05-07-2014 10:25 AM

Approach up the middle of the court to take away the angled pass and keep the approach low to take away the lob. If there's a backhand in the middle, go there.

Steady Eddy 05-07-2014 10:36 AM

If they do this a lot, they're probably pretty good lobbers, so don't crowd the net. With two up, you should be hard to pass, but don't let them successfully lob you. When they lob you, get it back and come back up to the net, until they give you an easy smash.

But by staying back they are letting your team be in control.

Chas Tennis 05-07-2014 10:36 AM

Buy the reference

The Art of Doubles (2007), Pat Blaskower,

Positioning and shot selection are discussed. I believe that she mentions the specific shots to use for two net players vs two at baseline.

I guarantee that anyone will gain 5 additional points per match by using her shot selection and positioning. The good news is that the less you know the more points you'll gain.....

Mr.Lob 05-07-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy (Post 8349459)
If they do this a lot, they're probably pretty good lobbers, so don't crowd the net. With two up, you should be hard to pass, but don't let them successfully lob you. When they lob you, get it back and come back up to the net, until they give you an easy smash.

But by staying back they are letting your team be in control.

More specifically, where would you be with two up against the lob? On the service line?

Topspin Shot 05-07-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Lob (Post 8349838)
More specifically, where would you be with two up against the lob? On the service line?

No, that's too far back. About halfway between the service line and net is standard practice. If the lob gets thrown up, don't backpedal. Turn your body around with a big crossover step and track the ball over your left shoulder. Make sure you get behind the ball where you can catch it with your left hand and then swing.

10sGrinder 05-07-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Lob (Post 8349838)

I think that answer depends on how quick you are. Get as close as possible as long as you can cover the lob. Old guys would want to stay further back. Young, quick kids can get closer.

I'd try that strategy of not crowding too close, but waiting for that short ball that can be angled off with a smash. It takes patience to not try to put away overheads from behind the service line, but that's what they want you to try and do. That way they draw the error and you get frustrated.

Also hitting it short to bring them up might be effective, 'cause maybe the reason they are back is that they can't volley very well. Hit them short balls and then lob them back. :)

tennis_ocd 05-07-2014 12:53 PM

Also, if lobs are a real concern, by both staying back they can't exploit the weakness in the one up/one back formation. This can be strong position if your own team is composed of a strong groundstroker and quick, good net player.

mightyrick 05-07-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanEvo (Post 8349417)
Hey guys, so coming up my partner and I will be playing a different type of opponent, they are ones who essentially go double-back at the baseline on all points (at least from what I/we have observed from watching them in previous matches), personally I don't believe the both of us have enough experience playing against these type of opponents and we have talked about certain strategies.

But I want to ask, what the is the best way to play this match? What strategies should/could we use to counter? How would we counter this? We have discussed where we both go to net, but then the opponents could just lob back... What else could we do?

Thanks for all the advice, any helpful comment is very helpful and taken into consideration.

Bringing them to net is good advice. I would feed them a healthy dose of short, low balls. Dropshots are fine, too. This strategy works great, however, you must do this carefully. You and your partner must be very smart about it.

For your team... whoever hits the short ball should only do it on your net man's side of the court. So usually, it is the baseline player on your team who hits a short CC angle. If you bring wrong guy forward, you expose an easy crosscourt short angle that your opponent can exploit... hitting it behind your team's own net man. Never bring an opponent forward when they are being given an easy CC angle. My partner and I have used this strategy with great success, but you have to always remember to bring the correct person forward.

Another strategy I have used is for your baseline player to start hitting heavy topspin CC lobs. These will be a pain in the neck for your opponents. They will usually be forced to lob it back. However, eventually they get sick of it and will try to flatten out the ball. When that happens... your team's net man should look to poach. But many times, it will draw an error.

So there's a couple of strategies that I've used. Hope that helps.

10s talk 05-07-2014 02:52 PM

I think the best positioning is to have two at the net, with one half way up in the service box, and one just inside the service line

LanEvo 05-07-2014 03:13 PM

Alright thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming if others want to add on. Everything is definitely helpful so far.

LuckyR 05-07-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanEvo (Post 8349417)

Usually, netmen try to blast volleys at the opposing netmen for winners. Blasting volleys at two baseline players will yield lobs, perhaps really great lobs.

The key is to play short angles. Pace is immaterial, slice is prefered, drops are golden.

Bud 05-07-2014 05:11 PM

How is their baseline game? Defense? What level are we talking here?

Obvious advice is bring them to net either by dropshots or short low slices.

eelhc 05-07-2014 05:31 PM

Do you know any more about these guys than they both play back? Why? How good are their volleys/overheads?

Bobby Jr 05-07-2014 05:54 PM

Unless you're really good at drop shots don't try them too much - you'll end up giving them easy balls from well inside the court. In doubles it often pays to alternate your volleys with deeper ones and then short/low on the next one - this stuffs most good baseliners up. Pretty soon you'll work out as soon as they're moved out of their strike zone you'll win more of the points unless they're particularly good at passing or you're a poor volleyer.

LeeD 05-08-2014 09:37 AM

Heed TopspinShot's advice.
Pound the middle, a little towards the weaker player's side.
Pound the middle, then when they cheat to cover, hit a short angle.
Force BOTH opponent's to cover the middle.