Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Feedback would be greatly appreciated (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=499940)

andrehanderson 05-10-2014 09:55 AM

Feedback would be greatly appreciated
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAYTk...ature=youtu.be

andrehanderson 05-10-2014 12:35 PM

Ttt for feedback. Thanks!

Topspin Shot 05-10-2014 01:25 PM

Slappy strokes. They're causing you a bunch of problems:

1. You're standing way behind the baseline to receive medium paced balls. If you were to stand in closer, where you should be standing, I'll bet you'd spray a lot of shots.
2. You're still spraying shots.
3. You're not putting enough topspin on the ball and are relying on a combination of low net clearance and gravity to keep your shots in the court.

Start with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ot2xQJRJ5Q and then you can work on adding more power and spin.

andrehanderson 05-10-2014 03:06 PM

lol@spraying shots.

With the exception of a couple of balls, the balls coming from the machine are landing at or beyond the baseline so I really don't think I need to be any closer, unless I want to volley.

I agree my shots are too slappy, particularly on the forehand side. The rest of your advice is a bit strange, but thanks for the taking the time regardless.

JW10S 05-10-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrehanderson (Post 8357722)
The rest of your advice is a bit strange.

You have to realize that most of the people giving advice on this forum shouldn't be. They do so to feed their fragile egos, they themselves can barely play at all. They have no ranking (now or ever), in fact rarely compete at all, and have little understanding of the sport and how it should be played.

Trust me, you're going to get a lot more 'strange' advice before this thread is done. Take it with a grain of salt, you're getting what you paid for...

darthpanda 05-10-2014 03:37 PM

your backhand looks sweet. i left a longer comment on the video itself.

ProgressoR 05-10-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 8357739)
You have to realize that most of the people giving advice on this forum shouldn't be. They do so to feed their fragile egos, they themselves can barely play at all. They have no ranking (now or ever), in fact rarely compete at all, and have little understanding of the sport and how it should be played.

Trust me, you're going to get a lot more 'strange' advice before this thread is done. Take it with a grain of salt, you're getting what you paid for...

I have to disagree - in my experience, when a video is posted, very often the advice is good.

It's not unusual for threads to go a bit mental and plenty of posters do talk a lot of waffle, but again, on videos, the advice is generally good.

darthpanda 05-10-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 8357739)
You have to realize that most of the people giving advice on this forum shouldn't be. They do so to feed their fragile egos, they themselves can barely play at all. They have no ranking (now or ever), in fact rarely compete at all, and have little understanding of the sport and how it should be played.

Trust me, you're going to get a lot more 'strange' advice before this thread is done. Take it with a grain of salt, you're getting what you paid for...

+100, lol, best comment ever

ProgressoR 05-10-2014 03:46 PM

anyway, I think your BH is a more solid shot - on your FH, a better analyst will comment, but there is something unusual going on with the use of your wrist, somehow the excessive floppiness occurs for a reason that is not good. It appears as a result it is difficult for you to control depth and pace and spin consistently.

A loose arm and a wrist that is utilised as a consequence of good stroke mechanics is a good thing, but I think from what I see, something is off and the movement in the wrist somehow detracts from the stroke.

There is not much or no top spin on either FH or BH - that is not necessarily a problem, but that is linked to some lack of control and consistency I would wager.

Topspin Shot 05-10-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrehanderson (Post 8357722)
lol@spraying shots.

With the exception of a couple of balls, the balls coming from the machine are landing at or beyond the baseline so I really don't think I need to be any closer, unless I want to volley.

I agree my shots are too slappy, particularly on the forehand side. The rest of your advice is a bit strange, but thanks for the taking the time regardless.

You started this thread to ask for feedback. You said it "would be greatly appreciated." I give you honest feedback, and this is how you react?



Look, you're about eight feet behind the baseline to receive a slow to medium paced ball from a ball machine. Yes, the incoming ball was quite deep in the court, but if you're this far back in match play against similar balls, it's not good. You don't have Rafa Nadal or Bjorn Borg speed to cover shorter/angled shots when your opponent hits them. And the racket face is way too open for this stage in the swing. You'll have to close it rapidly to make the ball go straight, and when you mistime the closing, you'll send the ball long or into the net, which you do multiple times in the video.

Topspin Shot 05-10-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 8357739)
You have to realize that most of the people giving advice on this forum shouldn't be. They do so to feed their fragile egos, they themselves can barely play at all. They have no ranking (now or ever), in fact rarely compete at all, and have little understanding of the sport and how it should be played.

Trust me, you're going to get a lot more 'strange' advice before this thread is done. Take it with a grain of salt, you're getting what you paid for...

What do you contribute to the forum aside from insulting people? Maybe you should give the OP some advice.

Maximagq 05-10-2014 06:36 PM

I find this article pretty helpful.

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyl...n_minutes.html

Topspin Shot 05-10-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maximagq (Post 8358019)
I find this article pretty helpful.

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyl...n_minutes.html

It's a good one.

Maximagq 05-10-2014 06:38 PM

Yes I didn't watch the video but looking at the picture that Topspin highlighted, the open racket face at the end is a tell tale sign.

JW10S 05-10-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin Shot (Post 8358012)
You started this thread to ask for feedback. You said it "would be greatly appreciated." I give you honest feedback, and this is how you react?



Look, you're about eight feet behind the baseline to receive a slow to medium paced ball from a ball machine. Yes, the incoming ball was quite deep in the court, but if you're this far back in match play against similar balls, it's not good. You don't have Rafa Nadal or Bjorn Borg speed to cover shorter/angled shots when your opponent hits them. And the racket face is way too open for this stage in the swing. You'll have to close it rapidly to make the ball go straight, and when you mistime the closing, you'll send the ball long or into the net, which you do multiple times in the video.

Thank you for proving my point. In the video you posted of yourself playing in your 'Me Hitting Around' thread you are hitting from much further behind the baseline on balls nowhere near as deep, falling backwards, and hitting like you're playing over a volleyball net. Why should he take your advice? What are your expert credentials?

Now go cry to the mods...

Maximagq 05-10-2014 06:40 PM

Guys there is no need for any aggression here. Just keep it related to technical advice please.

Topspin Shot 05-10-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 8358024)
Thank you for proving my point. In the video you posted of yourself playing in your 'Me Hitting Around' thread you are hitting from much further behind the baseline on balls nowhere near as deep, falling backwards, and hitting like you're playing over a volleyball net. Why should he take your advice? What are your expert credentials?

Now go cry to the mods...

He should take my advice because it's good advice. Rather than attacking me, why don't you offer some advice of your own? It should be no problem for an expert coach like you.

psv255 05-10-2014 06:56 PM

Right now both FH and BH are quite flat and not sure how much control you have over the racket face, sometimes you catch the ball late on the BH, and it morphs into a really flat slice to compensate. In general shots are quite smooth though so it seems like you have good timing.

What kind of groundstrokes would be your ideal model? Flatter, more conservative-grip shots, or do you want to change to more modern, spin-oriented strokes?

Lukhas 05-10-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 8358024)
Thank you for proving my point. In the video you posted of yourself playing in your 'Me Hitting Around' thread you are hitting from much further behind the baseline on balls nowhere near as deep, falling backwards, and hitting like you're playing over a volleyball net. Why should he take your advice? What are your expert credentials?

Now go cry to the mods...

Mere "Ad Hominem". You are trying to discredit his advice because of how he actually plays. However, because he doesn't do what he peaches doesn't mean that what he preaches is wrong.

I'm going to side with TS on this case. The BH looks good; but he's slapping on the FH side. The inconsistency of the position of the wrist creates an inconsistent hitting zone; because depending of the FHs, his wrist position isn't the same, which means the position of his racquet varies and hence the position of the outcoming ball varies.

On the pic Ts posted, the OP is doing exactly what is described in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--hG8v0Fdj4

Jim Lefty 05-10-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 8358024)
Thank you for proving my point. In the video you posted of yourself playing in your 'Me Hitting Around' thread you are hitting from much further behind the baseline on balls nowhere near as deep, falling backwards, and hitting like you're playing over a volleyball net. Why should he take your advice? What are your expert credentials?

Now go cry to the mods...

Not sure why you've decided to take issue with Topspin Shot's analysis. The OP's forehand does indeed appear to be "slappy". This type of shot will almost certainly break down under pressure, or from heavy topspin drives.

Sounds personal.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse