Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Wise tension head (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=5001)

drop shot 05-17-2004 03:50 PM

Wise tension head

I was trying to find the post that Gaines put up a while ago about the wise tkension head. I am seriously considering one. What are the ups and downs? Are they easy to install? Any other endorsements welcomed.

drop shot 05-17-2004 03:58 PM

Will it fit a Gamma 5003?

Smashlob 05-17-2004 04:05 PM

It will certainly fit the 5003.

From what I know, you slide off your old tensioner and stick on the new one.

mr. stevo 05-17-2004 04:30 PM

from he looks of it there are no disadvantages, it's easy to install, and it has all the features of a high priced electric tensioner. Some people argue that it's a bit noisy and sounds like it's going to break down but i don't think so... just watch the video on their webpage for yourself.
http://www.**********.com/
i was thinking of buying one and i got a quote for shipping to canada and it was really reasonably low which is a plus. good luck~

brtennis 05-17-2004 05:01 PM

I believe for the Gamma machine to fit it requires a "raiser", which Wise head sells (at an extra cost?). Call Mr. Wise using the phone # in his website.

MNJEEPJEEP 05-27-2004 06:17 AM

I would think twice about this...

I havent seen much luck with these things... I have talked to him several times and I ordered one from him (I assume he reads these posts too).... The bottom line is... it works well when its working...

..he does provide great service and he is easy to talk to ..... but it seems as if he makes each one up as he sells them... we had to wait a "long" time to get ours.... and it didnt work upon arrival... had to replace a part.... my buddy also got one.... it worked for a couple weeks then broke.... had to send it back in...

...not trying to bag on them... just stating the truth.

Gaines Hillix 05-27-2004 02:11 PM

My experience has been excellent. They didn't have the color I wanted in stock, so I ordered one with a black case. Color doesn't make it work any differently. :-) Anyway, it has worked without a hitch from the time I got it and I've done a couple hundred frames on it. MNJJ's expereince is the first post I've seen on here since I started hanging out on this board several years ago that stated they had any problems with one of these. If you already have a crank machine, there is NO way to match the value you're going to get from upgrading to this unit. It's pretty tough to beat it even if you have to buy the crank machine and the head. There are very few electronic machines in the $1500 price range I would trust or with features equal to a Gamma or Alpha base with the Wise head on it. I understand Wise even has an adapter to allow it to be used on a Laserfibre drop weight machine.

Anonymous 05-27-2004 02:27 PM

Drop shot, according to Mr Wise, you need to raise the gripper two inches to fit the 5003, which costs $45

MNJEEPJEEP 05-27-2004 05:05 PM

Glad to hear your experience with the WISE head is a good one... I'm just saying that I know of 5 people that have purchased this head in the last 2 years and none of them have been hassle free....

The WISE head seems like a good idea... I was thinking of getting them for 5 of our clubs that string with NEOS' ..... based on my experience (first-hand) I will not be buying ONE.

I'm hoping that this new MS200DX that we just got will slowly take the place of the NEOS machines... but their are already some things that I think I'm going to dislike.... but then again... seems to have some big pluses....

Steve Huff 05-27-2004 06:12 PM

I have one, and have been relatively happy with it. It cuts the time to string some, and the overall stringbed is about 10% tighter. This allows you to string tighter without adding undue stress to the frame (the tightness is achieved by the constant pull, not by it pulling harder). The downsides--it is noisy, and sometimes sounds strained near the end of the pull. Also, it's at a fixed length from the racket, so if you're used to a crank that you can put right up against the frame, you'll feel like you need more string. It will only go so close to the frame, so if you've miscalculated the string length and are running short, you may be in trouble. Inherent with any constant pull machine, you don't feel you have the control over pulling the string. This is mostly noticable when grommets are try to pull through the frame on the last mains. With a crank, you can pull slowly to make sure the grommet is staying in place. With an electric, it just pulls at the set speed. If the grommet pops out, its hard to stop the pull in time to keep it from rubbing against the frame. I've had mine since November, and I've done 2-300 stringjobs so far, with no malfunctions. If it ever breaks due to a weak part, I will expect Mr. Wise to stand behind it, even after the warranty period. But, some things do just wear out. I'm hoping mine will last well over 1500 string jobs.

David Pavlich 05-27-2004 07:19 PM

Re: the grommets popping out. That's where having different speed settings and a foot peddle become a welcome option. Certain racquets are notorious for this, so I slow my machine down, have one thumb against the grommet strip and one sticking the string into the gripper. I press the foot pedal and as soon as the string is secure, I use the other thumb to help holding the grommet in place. It can be a lifesaver, indeed.

David

Ken Sachar 05-28-2004 03:35 AM

Wise Reliability

Have had a Wise Electronic Head for about 50 racquets so far. Installed in less than two minutes and have not had any problems whatsoever.

Ken

Gaines Hillix 05-28-2004 01:57 PM

Agree with David...also, it is very easy to move the Wise tension head closer to the frame if needed to reach a short piece of string. All it takes is loosening the hold-down screw(which has a built in lever on it), moving the head further down on the track and retightening the hold-down screw.