Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Agassi out of the Frech Open! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=5329)

AA 05-24-2004 05:09 AM

Agassi out of the Frech Open!

Im very sad to say, that Andre Agassi just lost in the 1st round of the French Open. He lost 4-6 6-7 -3-6 to French qualifier Jerome Haehnel :cry:

Daniel

Justyn Daniell 05-24-2004 05:16 AM

And for those of you who are watching the match now or did not see the match, you will be able to see the entire encore presentation at 12:30 ET on ESPN

NoBadMojo 05-24-2004 05:19 AM

there are people in the US and other places watching this match on TV right now that do not wish to know the outcome of this and other matches. i think you ruined watching the match for many people. please show some consideration. if people wish to know the results to matches, there are many many websites where they can find this sort of info. thank-you. ed

William Bedford 05-24-2004 05:25 AM

When I tape any tennis match - I avoid this discussion forum.

Seriously though - What was Agassi thinking skipping all those tourneys? He is a legend. I think his last stand will be at the '04 US Open. I dont think he will win another slam or masters event. The Federer spanking in Houston probably hurt Agassi more than he would admit.

gustavo33 05-24-2004 05:33 AM

that was the worst match i´ve ever seen in the atp... agassi had no motivation, and the french guy had horrible strokes

Matt H. 05-24-2004 06:38 AM

Out of curtousy, people don't use titles such as the one for this thread that blatantly give away the results to a much. They also usually disclose a spoiler tag if the thread is going to contain info like this....especially when the ESPN *just* finished the Agassi match, 4 hours after you made this thread.

In any case, i think the reality of Agassi on his way down is a definite reality now. His loss at the Australian Open still showed signs of him being able to win high profile tournaments, but this entire clay court season has exposed an old, tired veteran. Have your vcr's ready people, we're watching the final matches of a great tennis player's career.

AA 05-24-2004 06:45 AM

Im very sorry, that I didnt write "Spoiler" or something like that, instead of writing the "score" in the title.
Sorry guys. Is just a bit upset over his loss, and didnt think.

Will try to remember next time

Daniel

Foo4Everlong 05-24-2004 07:06 AM

I love Andre, but I tend to think that Andre relies too much on his natural ability, instead of putting in the time to actually prepare and play pre-grand slam tournaments and practice sessions. I do know that he has been there practicing for at least one week in advance, which doesn't seem like Andre. I didn't expect Andre to make it much past the first three or fourth rounds, but oh well. His tournaments are yet to come. Two big Grand Slams where he is know to do well and ofcourse some of the smaller ones where he has had past success. I'm gonna keep telling myself that it is not his time yet. Later

irishbanger 05-24-2004 07:12 AM

The good news is we won't have to watch him in the early rounds beating up on nobodies. The badthing is he got beat up by a nobody. (BTW---Did you see the stick legs on that frenchman?)
Time to hang 'em up?

Chanchai 05-24-2004 07:20 AM

That was just completely frustrating watching Agassi spray his backhand a lot and his forehand here and there... Drop shot attempts worked well early on, but eventually when Haehnel returned them, Agassi just didn't even setup to return those...

Credit to Haehnel for returning just about everything, even some of the way out wide shots of Agassi. But Agassi couldn't execute the final blow in most points.

Agassi's hardcourt style on claycourt was such a horrible weakness on a day that he can't hit with any real confidence and it really did screw him today. It was easy for Haehnel to wrongfoot Andre...

It was cute seeing Andre going for the ol' moonball tactic for a point to see how Haehnel would handle it (he handled it easily).

Sigh... it was a frustrating match until Haehnel's second break of the third set (3rd break of the match?) and you just knew Agassi was just waiting to get put out of his misery at that point....

Some nice shots, but not enough consistency combined with Agassi's lack of proper movement on clay (which he's always been able to cover up with excellent ball-striking and control of the points in the past on clay) was a recipe for disaster today imo.... That and probably whatever confidence dip he might have felt without an adequate scouting report of a player that was returning just about everything on the day.

Haehnel was able to make use of his strokes and was very consistent. He's not a junkballer, but he had some really nasty slice backhands in that match. His groundstrokes were consistently deep as well, and Agassi (after losing confidence on the red clay) was way behind the baseline for his own standards. For what it's worth... on the very few net points Agassi had (like less than 10?) he hit some really nice volleys and drop volleys, I was surprised... (since when does Agassi's volleys start looking better than his groundstrokes?!). What bugs me though is that Haehnel reminded me of watching a WTA match with consistent angles and deep shots--that is, a good overall game but without any overwhelming pace (sans the biggest hitters of the WTA). For all accounts, he didn't need pace with the way Agassi was playing today, but that's probably why Agassi seemed to have an easy time hitting volley winners with the 5 or 6 times he seemed to actually go to the net to volley (as opposed to handle a drop shot or short ball).

To Agassi's credit... I think I'm exaggerating by saying he sprayed his shots... He hit some way off, but a lot of his unforced errors (or at least in my non-repressed memories) were barely out... We've seen a lot of other losses where Agassi kept hitting the ball 3 inches out though, I'm sure.

I still expect Agassi to go deep at US Open (and probably Wimbledon) still though. But this was a most frustrating match to watch at Roland Garros....

-Chanchai

baseliner 05-24-2004 07:29 AM

AO of this year was his last chance at a GS. He stays in great shape and comes in in better shape than many. No way was he prepared for Roland Garros. Lost 1st round to a nobody last week. I don't care who you are, you can't get ready for French Open by playing only 1 pre-tourney match on red clay. Question motivation, tactics or preparation, but it appears the end of the road is near.

Hit 'em clean 05-24-2004 08:49 AM

I'm a big Agassi fan and never doubted his ability to win a slam until the AO match against Safin. What amazed was the simple fact that Safin didn't worry about his unforced errors and was able to take control of point whenever he wanted. Agassi has had to work harder every year just to do the same things he did 2-3 years ago. Guys are fitter, bigger, move better, and hit harder. If Agassi had a knock out shot/weapon then I'd say okay he still has a chance....but he doesn't. It's getting too easy for guys to not have to play their best tennis to beat Andre. They used to have to play the match of their life. They know they can beat him and the blood is in the water.

I predicted Pete's last year even though it took him awhile to officially retire...and I'd be shocked if Agassi played next year or past the AO. I still think he has an outside chance at winning Wimbledon because he has the return game and the points are over pretty quickly. French he has no chance. AO and US Open are possibilities, but he really needs a good draw and some luck. It used to be these things were within his control.....they no longer are.

When an athlete of Agassi's caliber and accomplishments realizes that winning is no longer within their control....retirement becomes a thought. Will Agassi continue to play because he loves to compete or retire because he loves to win. I would love to see AA pull a Jimmy Connors and hang around for awhile, but in this day and age it'd be so difficult to have the same kind of moments and they'd be few and far between.....probably too hard to watch.

I will absolutely miss watching the AA Train.

Feņa14 05-24-2004 09:12 AM

Well that Pi$$ed on MaSha's bonfire!!!!!!

:lol:

Liam

Sorry I just had to say it.

ProStaffTour90 05-24-2004 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBadMojo
there are people in the US and other places watching this match on TV right now that do not wish to know the outcome of this and other matches. i think you ruined watching the match for many people. please show some consideration. if people wish to know the results to matches, there are many many websites where they can find this sort of info. thank-you. ed

:roll: Idiot,

to be fair it's not the first thing that comes into peoples' mind, oh i better not post this there may be people watching it! If you don't want to know the result you avoid the forums we shouldn't have to stop posting until everyone has seen it! :roll:

NoBadMojo 05-24-2004 10:12 AM

i dont appreciate being called an idiot and furthermore, considerate people may wish to consider that people visit this forum not wishing to know the outcome of matches that are being tape delayed aired. it's pretty easy to not put the results in the subject line..considerate people may wish to do so and considerate people may also wish to not call people idiots, even if they think they are. ed

JohnThomas1 05-24-2004 12:37 PM

Troublw is there would be 2 weeks of matches people don't want to know the outcome of, and they probably enjoy this forum enough not to even think of staying away for that long.

SonicSpeed 05-24-2004 01:15 PM

^Exactly.

Although I just avoid forums like this one altogether if I have a taped match I haven't seen yet. Common knowledge.

NoBadMojo 05-24-2004 01:52 PM

again...as a simple courtesy it would be great if people wouldnt post who won in the subject line. why is that so hard to do? it's not like this is top secret info that someone has discovered or something or proprietary info only you have. people are often watching on espn and havent taped or they have taped and also like to monitor the board. if people want to know who won or what the scores are they can then open up the thread. or..find this info in like a million other places on the web. this worked very well on this forum for a while and almost everyone was decent about this. thanks for the apology aa..that showed class. ed

ProStaffTour90 05-24-2004 03:07 PM

:lol: So what should he call the thread???

larrhall 05-24-2004 03:22 PM

A sad day. Agassi is old. The sky is yellow. First Pat, then Pete, now this. Good luck, 'Dre. Enjoy the golf.