Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Any weight lifters & runners & tennis players out th (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=5511)

sonnylax 05-26-2004 02:24 PM

Any weight lifters & runners & tennis players out th

I'm trying to develop a training plan for the summer months which incorporates all three activities (tennis practices, tennis competition, weight lifting, and long distance running).

Tennis games on Saturday morning.
Tennis practices on Tuesday evenings.
Tennis lessons on Monday evenings.

Any thoughts on how I should incorporate weight training and running into this weekly tennis schedule? I'd like to add ~ 10 lbs of muscle and keep in decent running shape for 5 - 10 miles.

Thisguy 06-03-2004 10:02 AM

Sonnylax-
I've been trying to do the same thing as you for about six months. It's been amazingly tough. Here's what I've learned so far. I personally cannot play tennis after lifting. I find that it throws my muscle control off so bad that it isn't worth playing at any point in the same day. As long as I lift after my playing/hitting sessions everything tends to be ok. The distance running is another story. I'm up to 5 miles every other day. The trick here is to not lift my legs or lower back on those running days. When I don't have a distance running day, then I do sprints. It's like a giant puzzle of activities that requires large amounts of planning in order to stabilize a routine. I've put on 7 lbs. of muscle over the last six months but with great sacrifices. Plus now after reading my post I feel like a huge looser, but what the hell. Later...

gmlasam 06-06-2004 04:56 AM

Re: Any weight lifters & runners & tennis players ou

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonnylax
I'm trying to develop a training plan for the summer months which incorporates all three activities (tennis practices, tennis competition, weight lifting, and long distance running).

Tennis games on Saturday morning.
Tennis practices on Tuesday evenings.
Tennis lessons on Monday evenings.

Any thoughts on how I should incorporate weight training and running into this weekly tennis schedule? I'd like to add ~ 10 lbs of muscle and keep in decent running shape for 5 - 10 miles.

Well this is my routine:

Mon:
-morrning: weight training-chest and triceps
-evening: tennis

Tues:
-morning: weight training-back and biceps
-eveining: rest

Wed:
-mornings: cardio training-stationary bike for 40 minutes

Thurs:
-morning: weight training-legs
-evening: rest

Fri:
-morning: weight training-shoulders

Sat:
-morning: cardio-run 1 mile
-late morning: tennis

Sun:
-morning: cardio-eliptical machine for 40 minutes
-late morning- TENNIS!!!!

Note: I do stomach exercise everyday.

This routine helps me stay fit and helps me out last my tennis opponets. I'm only 5'-10" and weight 195, and my body fat is 11%.