Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   My prediction regarding the Williams sisters is still true (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=5950)

topspin 06-01-2004 06:10 PM

My prediction regarding the Williams sisters is still true

Those of you who were on the old board will remember what I'm talking about. I had basically said that the Wiliams' dominance would not last long. Last year they got injured, which in itself shows that they had to push really hard to try and win. Now both of them out at the French is further proof that their dominance is a thing of the past. I hate to say it again but I told u so. :lol:

alienhamster 06-01-2004 08:30 PM

Ummm, clay is clearly their weakest surface. Let's wait and see how they do on faster courts during the next year.

TwistServe 06-01-2004 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alienhamster
Ummm, clay is clearly their weakest surface. Let's wait and see how they do on faster courts during the next year.

i wouldn't say clay is their weakest surface.. venus was undefeated on clay for this whole year, until now

Petra Martinnen 06-02-2004 03:43 AM

:idea: Better to say how Belgian "sisters" dominance is the thing of the past. Now did you think Serena and Venus could go 80-3 this year and every year?? Even Martina N and Chrissie and Steffi lost sometimes. If not, we would see many Grand Slam winners in the WTA! No, Serena and Venus healthy are still best on tour and will dominate. I think they just might not be "hungry" like a few years ago. Now after winning 10 slams over a few years and relgularly facing each other in finals the sisters might not be mentally so into it. Also they have a life off court.

Russell Finch 06-02-2004 05:22 AM

I always had the feeling that tennis was just something they were doing before they moved on to something else. Interesting to see if they (especially Venus) have the motivation to get back to 1 and 2.

Lambro 06-02-2004 12:39 PM

there games represent what is wrong with tennis today

can't volley their way out of a paper bag
100+ inch racquet heads
2 handed backhands
baseliners

I saw Serena try to volley from about 5 feet inside her baseline (a real volley not her typical swinging groundstroke volley) she sent it long!...ie past the OTHER baseline unbelievable

dander 06-02-2004 12:45 PM

100+ inch racquet heads
2 handed backhands
baseliners

I saw Serena try to volley from about 5 feet inside her baseline (a real volley not her typical swinging groundstroke volley) she sent it long!...ie past the OTHER baseline unbelievable[/quote]

That is the real reason why I can't stand to watch them play time after time after time after time, because I hate their games!! Seriously, they suck!!
I mean, they have these widebody 115 rackets and STILL made a combined 100 unforced errors in five sets yesterday...just unbelievable

@wright 06-02-2004 01:09 PM

I agree with the above. Their strokes suck and they rely on power as a crutch. Serena's outfits are despicable and I can't stand their race-card playing dad.

Bertchel Banks 06-02-2004 01:18 PM

Quote:

Those of you who were on the old board will remember what I'm talking about. I had basically said that the Wiliams' dominance would not last long. Last year they got injured, which in itself shows that they had to push really hard to try and win. Now both of them out at the French is further proof that their dominance is a thing of the past. I hate to say it again but I told u so
Get a life.

Quote:

Their strokes suck and they rely on power as a crutch.
Like you wouldn't if that would get you to #1 on the ATP. You use what comes naturally to you. Hypocrite.

Capt. Willie 06-02-2004 01:24 PM

I too agree with all of you. I have long said that if we could put these two in a time-machine they would be no match for a skilled S&Ver such as Martina or Billie-Jean King. Anyway, I think we are now entering the era of the 'Russian Cousins'.

nyu 06-02-2004 02:27 PM

Sorry guys, but this small respite from the dominance of the Williams sisters will not last long. J-cap has had sooo many chances against Serena and finally pulled 1 off. Venus played like crap and started to blast the ball while Myskina ran everything down. It works on clay, but look for one of the sisters to go all the way at Wimbledon, where they basically dominate, and also at the US Open.

counterpunch 06-02-2004 02:33 PM

The Williams sisters do suck. They use huge racquets that are nine ounces and like rocket launchers. They're pretty annoying too. They grunt on drop shots and volleys, the whole thing is just for show.

bigserving 06-02-2004 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dander

100+ inch racquet heads
2 handed backhands
baseliners

Are you referring to Serena, Juan Carlos, Agassi, or Andy Roddick?

Andy Zarzuela 06-02-2004 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambro

100+ inch racquet heads
2 handed backhands
baseliners

I saw Serena try to volley from about 5 feet inside her baseline (a real volley not her typical swinging groundstroke volley) she sent it long!...ie past the OTHER baseline unbelievable

I have to disagree with you. Serena has decent volleys, but Venus in particular has sound volleys, and terrific technique up there. Plus with her height and wingspan, she's hard to pass. I'd also like to add that Venus and Serena play with racquets that weigh at LEAST 11.5 ounces. I've talked to some stringers at Bausch and Lomb, which Venus played in 2002 and Serena this year in 2004.
________
MARIJUANA

C_Urala 06-02-2004 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Willie
I too agree with all of you. I have long said that if we could put these two in a time-machine they would be no match for a skilled S&Ver such as Martina or Billie-Jean King. Anyway, I think we are now entering the era of the 'Russian Cousins'.

Oh, I like this 'Russian Cousins' stuff, but I think it's too early to speak about their era.

Deuce 06-02-2004 11:49 PM

"Also they have a life off court."

Maybe - but they voluntarily don't have a life away from the media. Especially Serena.

topspin 06-03-2004 01:27 AM

[quote="Bertchel Banks"]
Quote:

Those of you who were on the old board will remember what I'm talking about. I had basically said that the Wiliams' dominance would not last long. Last year they got injured, which in itself shows that they had to push really hard to try and win. Now both of them out at the French is further proof that their dominance is a thing of the past. I hate to say it again but I told u so
Get a life.

Quote:

Their strokes suck and they rely on power as a crutch.
Well look who it is, my racist buddy from the Hingis thread. Nice of you to pop in. Very witty comeback btw :lol: NOT!!! You are just so I dedicate my signature to you.

topspin 06-03-2004 01:31 AM

I'm happy we won't be seeing that annoying lil dance they do; u know the one I'm talking about, it looks like this -->

SonicSpeed 06-03-2004 01:41 AM

You have to remember, when Venus was dominating in 2000 and 2001, she wasn't exactly winning RG either. She never does that well at RG (not that a QF showing is bad to begin with).

PrestigeClassic 06-03-2004 02:43 AM

The father of two very young girls said that his children would some day be No. 1 and 2 on the WTA Tour, and you're bragging about your "prediction" still being valid. I think it's time for you to snatch up some lottery tickets! You're red hot man . . .