Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   why does Coria still use the black experimental frame? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=6139)

Datacipher 06-04-2004 02:16 PM

why does Coria still use the black experimental frame?

I don't understand that....what good is that to Prince?

I thought the experimental was supposed to be the NXG, so why not give him an NXG paintjob?

NoBadMojo 06-04-2004 03:53 PM

maybe he likes it all in black...maybe he is superstitious...maybe it is something else...maybe he and prince are on the outs? could be lots of stuff me thinks. whatever it is, he wouldnt want to change anything about it since he is playing so well with it right now. my .02. ed

Datacipher 06-04-2004 05:49 PM

Yes, maybe it's just superstition....I guess iwth a name like nobadmojo you'd know about that! ;-)

The only other explanation I can think of is if Prince is planning yet another racquet release that Coria will endorse...

If it is just supersition, I'll bet the Prince people are pulling out their hair right about now....

NoBadMojo 06-04-2004 10:22 PM

think many professional athletes are superstitious.....whats his record this year? how many sets has he lost in the french until henman? i wouldn't change anything including my paint job if i was on a roll like that..him being undersized and no weapons and all? how is he so much diff than hewett? who knows how long that might last and why wouldnt you run something like that out as long as you can? coria aint gonna be hall of fame material i dont think. i dont think prince is being sinister and setting coria up to be the flagship for the next newest frame.but i dont claim infinite wisdom. they're only graphite and resin and binders afterall..there really hasnt been anything much new since the change from wood to plastic (graphite)..or is it 62" to oversized? i'm choosing to overlook metal :)..liquidmetal? bah! ncode? hrumpf...it's the archer not the arrows. Fed could play with anything..and so could some of the others. my .02. ed

Datacipher 06-05-2004 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBadMojo
think many professional athletes are superstitious.....whats his record this year? how many sets has he lost in the french until henman? i wouldn't change anything including my paint job if i was on a roll like that..him being undersized and no weapons and all? how is he so much diff than hewett? who knows how long that might last and why wouldnt you run something like that out as long as you can? coria aint gonna be hall of fame material i dont think. i dont think prince is being sinister and setting coria up to be the flagship for the next newest frame.but i dont claim infinite wisdom. . ed

Oh, I'm not suggesting something sinister from Prince. Well no more sinister than the facade of using a paintjob....if they have a new frame in the works and decide to hold off his endorsement for the new frame...well I guess it's their choice.... makes no difference whether it's an nxg paintjob or a nxg mark 2 paintjob!

I do understand the superstitions, being a tournament player myself. No I wouldn't want to change anything, although in the case of paintjobs I would change because I'd tell myself it's frickin paint, that means nothing....the reason I PURPOSELY don't get hung up on things like that, is because I know I COULD. Down that road lies very obsessive behavior....starts to become a lot of work! lol....

Nas Eclipse 06-05-2004 07:53 AM

maybe he thinks its could luck or something

miguelcoletta 06-05-2004 10:55 AM

why don't you just think that he broke up with prince...? it's a bit more reasonable...

kninetik 06-05-2004 11:18 AM

Just curious. Maybe its been answered before, but it doesnt look like an nxg since it has grommets. Looks more like a POG

Datacipher 06-05-2004 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miguelcoletta
why don't you just think that he broke up with prince...? it's a bit more reasonable...

If he actually broke up with Prince then he wouldn't have the prince logo on his strings.

Lambro 06-05-2004 03:18 PM

of course

its not an NXG, the NXG has a curved crossbar.

Its probably a POG and they probably painted experimental on it to get the focus off the POG.

perfmode 06-05-2004 03:27 PM

Re: of course

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambro
its not an NXG, the NXG has a curved crossbar.

Its probably a POG and they probably painted experimental on it to get the focus off the POG.

What headsize is it? It looks like a mid but i can't really tell.

Feņa14 06-05-2004 03:36 PM

Coria and Ferrero both use POG Longbody's, you know, the one with 100sqi head and 28 inches long.

Very rare, only available in Europe.

Coria smashed one to pieces against Henman, I wonder what some people on these boards would give to even hold one of those beasts!!!

I heard he was moving to Head at the end of last year when he was training with one at the TMS in Houston. It looks like that isn't happening now.

-Liam

miguelcoletta 06-05-2004 11:50 PM

Maybe he just wants to smash em' all and then just go with head or whatever racquet he's gonna use...:p

tetsuo10 06-06-2004 12:55 PM

Is the POG Longbody similar to the Chang Graphite Longbody? Looks like Coria's frame is slighter thicker, but it's hard to tell on TV and pics.

louisc 06-09-2004 09:00 AM

One thing is for sure, the Experimental thing, as a marketing tool, worked very well for Prince.

lendl lives 06-09-2004 09:55 AM

oh i thought coria used an os.

tetsuo10 06-09-2004 10:57 AM

Actually, Prince does feature the POG on their website.

http://www.princetennis.com/product/...?categoryID=37

dennis1188 06-09-2004 02:41 PM

What was the final count on the number of these rackets that Coria broke during the French Open? I counted one in the semi and two in the final match.

aceindahole2K5 06-09-2004 03:18 PM

they are heavily modified NXG's..........to the point which they are POG longbodys with NXG paint........did i mention i play with a modified agassi junior racquet? of course it is extended to 27 inches, has a bigger head tighter string pattern and different beam weight and flex......but i still maintain that it is the Agassi Junior sold at TW........