Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   leather grip weight vs synthetic (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=62687)

d wayne 01-18-2006 09:15 AM

leather grip weight vs synthetic

I am currently using Gamma HiTec synthetic grips on my Dunlop mFil 300 rackets. They are out of spec, so I had removed the bumper guard from one to try to lessen the amount of lead needed on the other, but the swing of each racket feels different due to change in weight distribution.
I plan to have the bumper guard replaced next time I string it. Obviously, I will need to add more lead to the other to get them matched.
Once this is done, I will need to add weight in the handle to bring the balance back to its current state.
I am considering going to leather grips instead of adding lead in the handle.
Does anyone know the difference in weight between a leather grip & the HiTec I currently use? I wrote Gamma but got a reply that there is not much difference. I am guessing that the leather grip is at least 1/10 or 2/10 ounce heavier.
Any help is appreciated

SteveI 01-18-2006 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d wayne
I am currently using Gamma HiTec synthetic grips on my Dunlop mFil 300 rackets. They are out of spec, so I had removed the bumper guard from one to try to lessen the amount of lead needed on the other, but the swing of each racket feels different due to change in weight distribution.
I plan to have the bumper guard replaced next time I string it. Obviously, I will need to add more lead to the other to get them matched.
Once this is done, I will need to add weight in the handle to bring the balance back to its current state.
I am considering going to leather grips instead of adding lead in the handle.
Does anyone know the difference in weight between a leather grip & the HiTec I currently use? I wrote Gamma but got a reply that there is not much difference. I am guessing that the leather grip is at least 1/10 or 2/10 ounce heavier.
Any help is appreciated

Yes,

Leather grips do weigh more.. and will add static weight to a frame making it more head light. NoBadMojo does this with his Volkl set-up to make the frame more head light.. he also shaves the head/bumper guard to make it even more head light and reduce sw. Yes.. and that will mean you have to add less lead tape. Hope this helps!

Hope this helps

d wayne 01-18-2006 10:57 AM

Thanks, Steve. I want to wait until I have the bumper guard reinstalled. I only removed it from one because I didn't want to use too much lead on the other while trying to match them. However, the swing feels much different even though the weight is the same on both.
I planned on adding lead in the handle, but think that leather grip may do just as well. Not sure how much reinstalling the bumper guard will move the balance to the head, but certain that the leather will more than balance it out.
I learned my lesson with this- even if rackets are from the same lot, still weigh & balance them before making the purchase.

Jalapeno2006 01-26-2006 05:51 PM

I have asked the same question many times. I have heard that leather ways 11g more than a typical synthetic, i have heard it weighs 14 g more, and i have heard that it weighs 16 g more. Though i don't know the specifics on which synthetics and which leather grips these people were using, i imagine that the variation occurs in those factors. Switching to a leather grip, depending on your racquet, can change your balance by as much as 4 pts HL. i have been told. I am about to switch to leather on my LM radical and hope that it does something for feel and balance.

d wayne 01-27-2006 01:13 PM

I just saw another thread in which the poster mentioned buying a Wilson racket. His first modification was adding a leather grip, which added .3 oz to the racket weight, which works out to approx 8 1/2 grams difference.
As for my sticks, I stuck with the HiTec synthetic, removed head tape from the heavier one(had used it to replace bumper guard). Both rackets are now 11.0 even.
I had previously used a 11.5 oz racket, but find I am playing better with this weight. It is still sturdy enough. However, anything below this and I can feel the lightness

Larry Baldridge 01-28-2006 11:00 AM

Leather grips can enhance the "feel" of a racquet in a number of ways. --The feel of the bevels for sure, but also the feel of the ball coming off the strings. Some leather grips can also add weight to the handle, rendering a more head-light balance. Here are some specs on grip weights and other items that may help you determine some variables that affect weight and balance:
Fairway Leather - 25g
Wilson Leather - 22g
Head Leather - 23g
Pacific leather -18g
Volkl Leather -30.4g
All of the above are untrimmed, straight from the package
Gamma Hi-Tech Perforated Replacement Grip - 19g/.67 oz [trimmed to fit]
Babolat "0" vibration dampener - 3.8g/.135 oz
Wilson Pro Feel vibration dampener - 2.5g/.090 oz
#10 rubber band - .7g/.025 oz
16g string in 18 X 20 pattern - 15.9g/.56 oz
Yonex Super Grap overwrap - 5.7g/.20 oz
Wilson Butt cap w/ removable window - 10g/.355 oz
Volkl Soft Butt Cap - 9.4g/.330 oz
Elasto Cross II - 2.3g/.082 oz.[entire contents less applicator]

SteveI 01-29-2006 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Baldridge
Leather grips can enhance the "feel" of a racquet in a number of ways. --The feel of the bevels for sure, but also the feel of the ball coming off the strings. Some leather grips can also add weight to the handle, rendering a more head-light balance. Here are some specs on grip weights and other items that may help you determine some variables that affect weight and balance:
Fairway Leather - 25g
Wilson Leather - 22g
Head Leather - 23g
Pacific leather -18g
Volkl Leather -30.4g

Wow Larry,

Great post.. I was just going to add that it depends on which leather grip you are installing. Have a great day!

Steve

NoBadMojo 01-29-2006 09:52 AM

I go by feel, seldom feeling the need to measure anything, and I can confirm that the Volkl leather grips feel noticeably heavier and feel thicker as well. The others pretty much feel the same to me. That's great you took the time to measure that stuff Larry..good work man!

Jalapeno2006 01-29-2006 03:34 PM

Where can i find a Fairway leather grip?

Larry Baldridge 02-12-2006 07:55 AM

Gamma Hi-Tech Perforated Grip: 19g/.67 oz
Leather Grip weights:Fairway-25g/Wilson-22g/Head-23g/Volkl-30.4g
note: contrary to popular belief, the Volkl IS heavier than Fairway although my Volkl measurement is with a bit more length

Michael82 02-12-2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalapeno2006
Where can i find a Fairway leather grip?

If you google for fairway leather grip, it will come up a few websites. Among those, there's one dodgy ( I say dodgy because of the website, it actually provides excellent services) site from London, England still carries genuine fairways. Good quality!

doriancito 02-12-2006 10:10 PM

i didnt read the first post it seemed to long, but if you are comparing the weight of each, then ofcourse the leather is heavier, a bout 5 more grams, this will create a balance more to the "south" of the racquet

jerry fisher 02-13-2006 07:46 PM

thickness of leather grip

I am looking to add 1/2 size to my racquet. Can you tell me which leather grip
is thicker. I like an overgrip also so I tried two overgrips and I lose the bevels.

Colpo 04-06-2006 12:13 PM

In my informal experience, I've found that a leather grip adds about half an ounce of weight to a frame's static weight, even more to the swing weight. It's a great way to get a firmer base grip, a more manuverable frame and a weightier frame in one swoop.

dcreasy55 04-06-2006 01:22 PM

I would imagine that it would slightly depend on the length of your grip aswell.

joe gomes 04-09-2006 02:52 PM

Larry, out of the following leather grips which one is the most thin.

Fairway Leather - 25g
Wilson Leather - 22g
Head Leather - 23g
Pacific leather -18g
Volkl Leather -30.4g

Thanks Joe

artworks 05-01-2006 11:56 PM

Due to blisters, I've recently replaced the leather grips of my new Wilson ncode 6.1 Tour 90 racquets to Dunlop hydramax (grip of my old Dunlop 300G) synthetic grips. The weight difference is minimal @ .2 oz, ie. from 12.5oz with the leather grip to 12.03oz with the sythetic grip. Consequently, the racquet balance is now around 9 pts HL from 12 pts with the leather grips.

I found the switch to improve my swings and more importantly, gave my hand comfort and improve my blisters.

rasajadad 07-21-2006 04:58 AM

Grip Weights

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Baldridge
Fairway Leather - 25g
Wilson Leather - 22g
Head Leather - 23g
Pacific leather -18g
Volkl Leather -30.4g

Got another one to add to the above:
Babolat Leather- 15g
Untrimmed, straight from the package.

Duzza 07-21-2006 06:03 AM

What company made Fairway Grips? Fairway?

arifed 07-28-2006 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasajadad
Got another one to add to the above:
Babolat Leather- 15g
Untrimmed, straight from the package.

... it means that babo leather weights less than gamma Hi-Tech perforated replacement grip, doesn't it?