Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Gaudio And The NsixONE Paintjob (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=6303)

Feņa14 06-07-2004 12:21 PM

Gaudio And The NsixONE Paintjob

It looks like he will be changing from his HPS 6.1 the NsixONE paintjob from now on.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...amp;print=true

Now he is the second best Wilson player.

-Liam

barry 06-07-2004 01:03 PM

That does not look like the racket he won with, he may have got a nice bonus from Wilson to make that picture.

It was a great match!

BreakPoint 06-07-2004 01:26 PM

Yeah, prior to the French, Gaudio probably didn't get a lot of attention from Wilson so they didn't bother giving him any nSix-One paintjobs to use thinking that he wouldn't get much T.V. air time anyways and he'd probably lose early. As soon as he won, though, I'd bet the Wilson reps were all over him like flies on sh*t getting him to pose with the new nSix-One. They proabably also just shipped to him a boatload of nSix-One 95 paintjobs to use for his next tournament. If I were him, I'd be re-negotiating my contract with Wilson right about now while I still have my 15 minutes of fame. We all know as soon as Wimbledon starts, he will no longer be in the limelight and everyone (including Wilson) will forget about him again.

Come to think about it, Wilson must be sitting pretty right now as their racquets have won 3 out of the last 4 Grand Slams on both the men's and women's sides.

Bhagi Katbamna 06-07-2004 01:58 PM

I have a brochure from Wilson that shows Gaudio using a box-beam HPS and on the same page Jaako Niemanan using a reg HPS. Yet, the caption indicates both using a HPS 6.1 go figure.

Radical Shot 06-07-2004 05:08 PM

Ha, this is funny. Great picture. Gives us a real insight into how the marketing of tennis racquets works.
________
srx250

D. Nelson 06-07-2004 06:25 PM

...I agree with everybody above...and am AMAZED at that picture....incredible !!!!!

jings 06-07-2004 06:39 PM

Speechless. How contrived, underhanded and disappointing is that? I'm very disappointed with Wilson at the moment, they are playing fast and loose with loyal Prostaff fans with their constant tinkering to their line up. Introduce n-code, but have the decency to run with the T90 original for a little longer than 2 years .... and the HPS 6.1 hasn't exactly broken records for its time in the shops either.

Even Gaudio looks embarrassed.

Redferrari350 06-07-2004 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jings
Speechless. How contrived, underhanded and disappointing is that? I'm very disappointed with Wilson at the moment, they are playing fast and loose with loyal Prostaff fans with their constant tinkering to their line up. Introduce n-code, but have the decency to run with the T90 original for a little longer than 2 years .... and the HPS 6.1 hasn't exactly broken records for its time in the shops either.

Even Gaudio looks embarrassed.

No kidding. He looks about as comfortable as holding a grenade with its pin pulled. Having said that, if he was using a Prestige, I think Head would've done the same thing. Paint job, like it or not, is name of the game, and we're just gonna have to accept it.

Deuce 06-07-2004 11:52 PM

Sorry - I won't accept dishonesty from racquet companies any more than I accept dishonesty from any other source.

I keep hoping that just one player will show that he or she has the character to refuse to play this lying game. You'd think that ONE player would have stepped up by now... but no - they all sell their integrity to the highest bidder.

Saying that Gaudio looks embarrassed is merely wishful thinking. Gaudio looks just as much constipated as embarrassed. A picture is just a fraction of a moment frozen in time. As much as it can represent an accurate view into an individual, it can just as easily represent a very inaccurate view into an individual. It's comforting for us to see 'embarrassment' in Gaudio's expression because many of us would like these guys and girls to possess at least SOME degree of integrity. Alas, wish as we might - it doesn't exist. Not at this point, at least.

The players with the 'paint jobs' are players who have achieved a certain level of success - and therefore, a certain level of financial wealth. Do they NEED the endorsement money that this lying gives them? Of course not. Wheather it is easy for us to admit or not, the fact is that it is merely about ego and greed.

I'd bet lots that 30 or 40 years ago, several players would have refused to embark in this pitiful practice. Players had stronger characters then. PEOPLE had stronger characters then.

Now, blatant and unapologetic public lying is not only very much tolerated, but is encouraged and almost universally accepted. It's quite sad what has become of humans and of humanity.

Ruuzo 06-08-2004 12:09 AM

Hey, Sampras never played with a paintjob...

roundiesee 06-08-2004 12:28 AM

Head and Wilson have both been guilty of taking advantage of the big names in tennis, but this really takes the cake. One must be really blind not to notice that Gaudio won the title (not just the final but all his seven matches) with a completely different racket than the one pictured. They have no right to treat us the tennis viewing public in this fashion.

Radical Shot 06-08-2004 04:37 AM

Now let's analyse this from the perspective of the fortunate person who caught Gaudio's racquet as he hurled it discuss-style into the crowd following match point.

No doubt, they will be showing off the unique and sentimental racquet to their friends and fellow tennis fans, but no-one believes them - why look, Gaudio doesn't play with that type of racquet - look at the pictures of him by the Arc - it's clearly an nCode!

Anyway, I wish I had caught it. I believe.
________
mflb

dantyem108 06-08-2004 05:13 AM

Roddick doesn't play with a pj.

david aames 06-08-2004 06:24 AM

Philippoussis notoriously had his Prestige Classic painted all black. No strings endorsement either.

Deuce 06-09-2004 01:04 AM

Radical, I was thinking the same thing about the person who caught (or was hit by) Gaudio's racquet...

Venus and Serena also had all black racquets for a year or so, several years ago, when they were first beginning to win.

Courier, as well.

But these are not examples of pro tennis players with an abundance of integrity - no, these players merely wanted more money than the racquet companies were willing to pay them. Painting the racquets all black was simply their way of protesting against the racquet companies who refused to feed their degree of greed.

I'd love to see a current player come out on court with a frame from 8 or 10 years ago - like a Pro Tour 280, or something similar.

@wright 06-09-2004 10:29 AM

Deuce, you see that every time you see an ATP match. They just aren't painted like PT280's.

BreakPoint 06-09-2004 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce
I'd love to see a current player come out on court with a frame from 8 or 10 years ago - like a Pro Tour 280, or something similar.

Yeah, wouldn't it be great to see John McEnroe come out at Wimbledon with his trusty old Dunlop Maxply wood racquet and kick the crap out of Roddick and Federer in the first two rounds? :lol:

Perhaps Borg would even consider a comeback at Wimbledon with his old Donnay Borg Pro? :wink: :shock: