Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I have lost all respect for Kiefer *spoilers* (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=63618)

Max G. 01-24-2006 07:49 PM

I have lost all respect for Kiefer *spoilers*

The title says it all.

I used to like Kiefer. He has a fun game, I liked watching him, and would generally root for him.

But after that incident at 5-6 40-30, I'm never rooting for him again...

West Coast Ace 01-24-2006 08:27 PM

Agreed. I respected his all court game. But that went out the window on that point. Even after Grosjean's complicity in the delay in the match agaist Nadal at the FO last year, he didn't deserve that.

I wonder if the chair ump wussed out because he knew if he did award the point to Grosjean, Kiefer would completely freak and he'd have to default him.

I expect a nominal fine from the ATP.

And the big question: will he dare pull any of his silliness against Fed (if Fed beats Davydenko) in the Semi?

Jet Rink 01-24-2006 08:32 PM

Kiefer's been very unpopular within the German Federation for a long time. This match - which up until the racquet throwing incident was a decent match - shows that clown's true nature. That was a bush league move to not give the point to Grosjean.

I'm hoping Fed can get through and clean him out in straight sets.

Jet

theace21 01-24-2006 08:32 PM

I couldn't beleive the applause he got for winning. It was an incredible match, but the backlash of this incident might not go away...

West Coast Ace 01-24-2006 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theace21
I couldn't beleive the applause he got for winning.

I thought the same thing - can you imagine if he did that at the USO - the New Yawkers would be throwing everything that wasn't bolted down at him.

Richie Rich 01-24-2006 08:37 PM

him throwing the racquet did not change the outcome of the match....Grosjean still held that service game.

that being said, Keifer is one of the biggest jerks on the tour.

did you see the way he wagged his finger and shook his head after he threw his racquet? what a tool

vkartikv 01-24-2006 08:39 PM

No offence here, but is there something inherently wrong with Germans? If anyone remembers, Becker played Medvedev in Wimbledon 94 or 95 and during one point raised his hand as if to say hold it, just to distract Medvedev and went on to win the point. The issue of unsporting conduct was raised.

I am a big Schumacher fan but everyone knows how he won his first title, pushing Damon Hill off the track and trying to repeat it in 1997.

Once again, no offence to (male) Germans but their attitude to sports need to change.

Shabazza 01-24-2006 08:44 PM

I'm just curious, why do we have to make 4-5 threads about this incident, isn't one enough??

West Coast Ace 01-24-2006 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkartikv
No offence here, but is there something inherently wrong with Germans?

I remember a South Park episode in which Cartman says something like "What's wrong with the f*cking Germans?!"

simi 01-24-2006 08:46 PM

Might not have changed the outcome of that one game, but you can bet that it was on Grosjean's mind afterward. Was watching the fifth set with the wife while eating dinner and remarked to her that if it were Roddick, he would have made sure that Grosjean was awarded the point. Even though many here do not like Roddick, nobody can question his sportsmanship and sense of fair play. Good on ya, Andy.

As far as Keifer, I also have lost respect for him after pulling a stunt like that. If he had laughed it off, apologized and conceeded the point to Sebastian, it would have helped turn a hard fought match into an instant classic match. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about it in his post match interview.

Max G. 01-24-2006 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabazza
I'm just curious, why do we have to make 4-5 threads about this incident, isn't one enough??

Well, as I clicked on the pro-player discussion page, I didn't see any, so I made one - a couple more must have appeared in the time it took me to write it and post it... (not surprising considering my connection is pretty slow right now, :() sorry.

Shabazza 01-24-2006 08:52 PM

Quote:

No offence here, but is there something inherently wrong with Germans? If anyone remembers, Becker played Medvedev in Wimbledon 94 or 95 and during one point raised his hand as if to say hold it, just to distract Medvedev and went on to win the point. The issue of unsporting conduct was raised.

I am a big Schumacher fan but everyone knows how he won his first title, pushing Damon Hill off the track and trying to repeat it in 1997.

Once again, no offence to (male) Germans but their attitude to sports need to change.

OMG are you kidding me??!
Just because of 2 or 3 incidents in 10+ years(which weren't as bad btw.) you're saying (male) germans have to change their attitude to sport. such generalisations make my want to puke!! :mad:

"No offence to Germans", my ***!

West Coast Ace 01-24-2006 08:58 PM

Tommy Haas has some brat in him. But then Michael Stich was classy, if I recall correctly. Berhardt Langer, golf pro, is also very well mannered.

vkartikv 01-24-2006 09:02 PM

Quote:

OMG are you kidding me??!
Just because of 2 or 3 incidents in 10+ years(which weren't as bad btw.) you're saying (male) germans have to change their attitude to sport. such generalisations make my want to puke!! :mad:

"No offence to Germans", my ***!

I was only pointing out the most obvious of their crimes in sports and those committed by their best known athletes to the world. There are more if you want me to recount them but I would have to save it for the odds and ends section because they are not all related to tennis.

jeebeesus 01-24-2006 09:03 PM

If they had the good sense to allow Hawkeye like in the Hopman cup we would not be having this discussion. CRAP!!!!!

dmastous 01-24-2006 09:04 PM

Throwing the racquet was a classless move on Keifer's part. He was trying to throw it in the path of the ball, conceeding the point or not. But as soon as he saw Grosian miss the volley he put up his hands as if to say "I didn't do anything...." He knew he was wrong and denied it anyway.
After arguing call after call, in which he was wrong wit each argument, to do this shows him to be the new Jeff Tarango.
The most classless player on tour.

phil10s 01-24-2006 09:06 PM

"Thats Bush!"
- Ron Burgandy

GEEZ... when I saw him throw that racquet, the first thing I thought was what I would do if I was in the Chair for that mach (I'm a USTA Chair Ump). They (the AO Officials and ITF Chair Umpires) have been letting Keifer get away with alot this event.. cursing at opponents, verbal abuse of officials (which in reality they let most of the Pros get away with). Whatever... that Chair Ump had no stones. Wonder what one of the Veteran Chair Umps (Norm Christ, etc) would have done? Actually call the Deliberate Hinderance or just wus out?

vkartikv 01-24-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeebeesus
If they had the good sense to allow Hawkeye like in the Hopman cup we would not be having this discussion. CRAP!!!!!

what if on one fine sunny morning kiefer decides to throw his racquet at hawkeye?

Shabazza 01-24-2006 09:22 PM

Quote:

what if on one fine sunny morning kiefer decides to throw his racquet at hawkeye?

either the racket or hawkeye would be broken and Kiefer would be fined, so what's your point?

regarding your other post, I can recall hundreds of incidents from french-, american-, british- etc. people - should the sportsmen in their countries change their attitude as well?? I guess so :rolleyes:
sorry, but that's just lame!

vkartikv 01-24-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

either the racket or hawkeye would be broken and Kiefer would be fined, so what's your point?

regarding your other post, I can recall hundreds of incidents from french-, american-, british- etc. people - should the sportsmen in their countries change their attitude as well?? I guess so :rolleyes:
sorry, but that's just lame!

my quote about kiefer throwing stuff at hawkeye was meant to be sarcastic mr. shabazza. or is it ms.? I dont want to get into a childish argument of who from which country did what but the arrogance of germans is unsurpassed..