Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The question that is asked at this time every year.... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=6405)

Justyn Daniell 06-08-2004 09:26 PM

The question that is asked at this time every year....

Is this the year??

ragnaROK 06-08-2004 10:29 PM

I'd love to see Henman go for the title against Federer in the final. Two S&Vers.... I can see the stars running around my head already.

roundiesee 06-08-2004 10:36 PM

Just hope against hope that he won't do what he is good at- whipping every one in his country into a frenzied mood, only to dissappoint at the end. I really do hope that he either loses quietly in the first round or just as quietly win the title. Chances of both happening are rather remote I must say.

Scorch 06-09-2004 12:39 AM

Tim has no control over the media!!!

To be fair it is hardly Tim who 'whips up a media frenzy' have you witnessed how our tabloid media works?

Put bluntly the UK press is vicious, they will build Tim up over the next few weeks and if he then loses will tear him apart proclaiming him to be a terrible tennis player and a disgrace to the country. Tim is powerless to stop it.

What gets me is that they always accuse Tim of being mentally weak - I have seen him come through more 5 set matches than any other player I can think of. There are so many '2 week fans' that have no clue about Tim or any other aspect of tennis!

jings 06-09-2004 02:29 AM

Heaven help him if he wins Queens. Through no fault of his, after RG, he'll have raised expectation beyond the normal Henmania - which in itself will be quite an achievement!

I hope, for his own sake and sanity, he can get the monkey off his back.

pound cat 06-09-2004 03:39 AM

After his remarkable clay court run, he would be best to tank his next Queens's match. Your right jings, if he sould get too deep or heaven forbid win Queen's he will be a complete nervous wreck at Wimbledon, in fact he probably should put his name in for a space in a convalescent home ASAP. Poor guy, the weight of Engand on his narrow shoulders.

Scorch 06-09-2004 06:06 AM

I agree totally but he has coped remarkably well in the past with all the pressure imo, this year expectation is higher already.

I think Henman just has this air of calm around him, almost like he has matured and seen through all the bs and just knows what he is capable of, so I am expecting more for him because of that!

AndyC 06-09-2004 06:45 AM

well he's now 5-1 down to Beck in his first match at Queen's.. I still expect him to pull through though. as for winning Wimbledon, I know he's made the semis before but what he's achieved over the last year will stand him in good stead. it's his best chance (I know they said that last year as well).. n he's a genuine contender.. but there are others too. with a bit of luck (and u need a little to win GS events) then yes.

Feņa14 06-09-2004 08:47 AM

I am glad he lost, as Pound Cat said he lost and that has done him some good.

He will now have the perfect amount of time to prepare for Wimbly and the worst thing to of happened to him is that he got to the final of Queens and being shattered.

Anyway as I have said before we have got Ian Flanagan and Jonny Marray playing Grosjean and Hewitt tomorrow.

Tim who? :wink:

BTW I think you can guess which one I voted for!!

Tim all the way, I said he would win the FO and he got further than everyone else expected. This should be his year.

I also hate the "2 week tennis fans", they havent got a clue and just rip into him, they dont even know how the scoring works!! I feel embarassed for them.

-Liam

ucd_ace 06-09-2004 05:27 PM

Eh... I think this is Henman's best chance to win it... Will he? I do not know, but I'm rooting for him.

jings 06-09-2004 08:23 PM

Has anyone ever heard Mr Henman speak like this before? It's like he's become a jedi master or something with all this inner calm and self belief. After mis-firing badly yesterday he can honestly say he's playing very good tennis, couple of points don't matter and Wimbledon is cool - all with a straight face. If it's for real it's even more scary than his RG court demeanour. What does Annacone do to people?

Theory of mine .... we now know why Tim's shoulder has been on the mend, Mrs H is in the family way again....!