Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Zagreb Indoors- any match (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=64345)

croatian sensation 01-30-2006 06:21 AM

Zagreb Indoors- any match

Well...it has finally started. Although there have been a bunch of withdraws (a common practice at the Tour lately)- Baghdatis,Berdych,Kiefer,Serra,Monfils there are still a few names that could make the tourney interesting- Ljubicic,Ancic,Karlovic,Gasquet,Henman,Ferrer,Feli Lopez,Nieminen...

Here's the draw http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/T...6/2276/MDS.pdf

I read that Eurosport will be showing some matches, so if you catch some feel free to post the results here.
As for myself..section C, row 11 :-) (if I take some good pics I'll post them)

Andres 01-30-2006 11:37 AM

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsands...reb_monday.asp

Top-ranked junior Marin Cilic made the most of his wild card entry to the PBZ Zagreb Indoors, notching his first career ATP win by upsetting seventh seed Igor Andreev on Monday.

The 17-year-old Zagreb native, currently No. 585 in the INDESIT ATP Rankings, defeated the Russian 6-3, 1-6, 3-6 in only his second ATP match. His first outing, a wild card appearance in Umag last June, ended in a first-round loss to Belgian Kristof Vliegen.

Meanwhile, Tim Henman made a strong opening case to maintain his position as the No. 1 Brit, rebounding from a first-round loss in Melbourne to defeat Frenchman Arnaud Clement 6-3, 6-3 at Dom Sportova Arena.

croatian sensation 01-30-2006 11:41 AM

Just wanted to post the same thing :-) Thought this would be the my personal thread where I could discuss the tourney with myself cause people are obviously still starting spoilers about AO lol but I will share it with you :-)
Yeah..Cilic did a big thing...I mean Andreev is ranked 560 places above him .

Andres 01-30-2006 11:42 AM

I'm the only guy interested in this tournament, it seems ;)

Andres 01-30-2006 04:52 PM

The third-seeded Spanish duo of David Ferrer and Feliciano Lopez were held winless in their fourth tournament together, falling to Italians Daniele Bracciali and Giorgio Galimberti 7-6(3), 4-6, 10-7 (Match TB). Meanwhile, brothers Ivo and Jan Minar, paired to a victory in their first ATP doubles match as a team as they defeated fourth seeds Radek Stepanek and Mikhail Youzhny 6-7(5), 6-3, 10-6 (Match TB), who were making their partnership debut.

GOOO DANIEEEELE!!!

Max G. 01-30-2006 06:44 PM

C'mon TIM!

Hopefully he's got some more winning tennis left in him.

Andres 01-31-2006 08:30 AM

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsands...eb_tuesday.asp

Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka proved too much for Spaniard David Ferrer as first round action continued Tuesday at the PBZ Zagreb Indoors. The youngster took down the No. 2 seed 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 as he continued his strong start to the 2006 season.

The 20-year-old, currently No. 49 in the INDESIT ATP Rankings, advanced to the Auckland semifinals prior to the Australian Open, defeating Tomas Zib, Alberto Martin and Florian Mayer before falling to Croat Mario Ancic.

Ash Doyle 01-31-2006 11:53 AM

That was a great result for Cilic. That takes his ATP record to 1-1, while Donald Young is at 0-7. Anybody know what the head-to-head record is between Cilic and Young?

Andres 01-31-2006 12:40 PM

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsands...doubles3.1.asp

In Tuesday's first-round doubles matches at the PBZ Zagreb Indoors, top-seeded Czech duo Petr Pala and Pavel Vizner came back to win their opener after countrymen Robin Vik and Tomas Zib pushed the meeting to the Match Tie-break.

Pala and Vizner took the crucial break to go up 6-5 in the first set and seemed poised for the victory after stealing serve in the second, but Vik and birthday boy Zib countered by converting on their opportunity to knot the score at 5-5 before going on to win the second set. The No. 1 duo regrouped in time to take the decisive Tie-break, 10-6, to set up their next meeting with Croats Ivo Karlovic and Lovro Zovko.

croatian sensation 01-31-2006 12:48 PM

I'm home finally...and exhausted after watching matches from 2 p.m to almost 9 p.m.
Ferrer's loss seems like a surprise but it was totally fair. They both weren't playing great tennis. But Ferrer totally lost it in the 3rd. He was serving "Coria speed" and making unbelievable unforced errors. That obviously got him mad so he started shouting(yes, shouting..not talking) at himself between points and even serves. He went totally psycho. Since the place is very acoustic it was hilarious.People were forcing themselves not to laugh at high-voice. I didn't get anything..it was probably curses in Spanish...but he was also mentioning "juego" and forms of "jugar" so that's what I understood :-)
And yes, he threw the racquet sometime in between.

Strangely but the match between Bracciali(ITA) and the SCG qualifier Bozoljac showed much better tennis than the 2 mentioned above.(Andres, I tried to root for Bracciali...but I couldn't stay focused...the other guy is so hot that you simply have to root for him :-) Bracciali lost 4:6 6:7 but with a lot of "help" from one particular linesman (around 60,fat,white hair and mustaches lol..) who like made 5-6 bad calls in favour of Bozoljac. He was constantly complaining about it to the umpire (and he really was right about it) and the crowd(lol) of 40 people who were watching the match were laughing all the time because he was really funny..so little, and really ****ed of and his english is funny. I felt really sorry for him..there were only 2 people (Italian journalists) supporting him.

Ancic didn't look that good on court although he defeated Tursunov 6:3 4:6 6:4. Most of his points were aces and winners (his serve was serving him great).

I didn't watch the Gasquet match..I planned to return to the 2nd set but he just finished Sanguinetti too soon.Lol. I really hope he does well. The kid's got potential.

This was the 1st time I ever saw Karlovic play live. It's a real experience. Especially when you see him up close (Karlovic/Zovko played doubles against Pala/Vizner on a court where the stands go very close to the court...I was in the 3rd row). Watching him serve and volley is amazing. I don't know how fast was he serving (there wasn't a serving gun there) but all the other serves I saw today were nothing compared to that. (btw. all players were hitting aces @150-165 km/h today...incredible.Ancic maybe hit a few that were faster but none over 200.And Ljubicic hit one @207)

That's about it...I saw Ljubicic/Cilic doubles match only the 1st set, I see now that they lost...no big deal there. It's just Cilic gaining experience.

Ash Doyle 01-31-2006 02:19 PM

I was really surprised to see Ljubicic playing with Cilic in the doubles. Good for Ljubicic for trying to help out a junior player.

croatian sensation 01-31-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Doyle
I was really surprised to see Ljubicic playing with Cilic in the doubles. Good for Ljubicic for trying to help out a junior player.

He's quite pampered..the little Cilic. Not that I have anything against it but he's really lucky to start playing Tour matches in a year we have 2 ATP tournaments in Croatia (so he gets WCs), when we've just won the DC- and his name is mentioned about joining the team.
I mean...who was pampering Ljubicic when he was 17!?
Yeah, the kid's lucky...I really hope he makes the best of it.

Andres 02-01-2006 08:27 AM

So, CroSen, how is this kid's game?
I mean, does he have any game? Never heard of him before...

(shame on me... and i call myself a croatian tennis rooter??) :p

Andres 02-01-2006 11:05 AM

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsands..._wednesday.asp

Scottish teen Andy Murray nearly turned in a shocker Wednesday at the PBZ Zagreb Indoors in his Center Court showdown with top Croat Ivan Ljubicic.

In the tightly-contested match, the 18-year-old came out the stronger of the two. He broke Ljubicic to go up 5-4 and then held serve to close out the first set. The Scot proceeded to break Ljubicic in the next game, before the World No. 5 promptly responded to level the score at 1-1 and broke the teen two more times to send the match to the third set.

Croat Ivo Karlovic also turned in a first-round victory following his countryman's match. He comfortably settled the first-set tie-break against German Rainer Schuettler, and took the second set 6-3 to set up an all-Croat second contest against Davis Cup teammate Mario Ancic.

Marius_Hancu 02-01-2006 11:08 AM

Well, Cilik one-upped Donald Young, he has now one ATP victory.

BTW, the tournament is very good.

Marius_Hancu 02-01-2006 11:12 AM

Henman smothered Gasquet in the first ...

GRANITECHIEF 02-01-2006 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius_Hancu
Henman smothered Gasquet in the first ...

And second. Tim looking pretty good to start the year.

Max G. 02-01-2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRANITECHIEF
And second. Tim looking pretty good to start the year.

And a pretty bad start for Gasquet... he's now 1-4 for the year, with two losses to Henman, one to Andreev, and one to Haas. (One win over Sanguinetti).

gugafanatic 02-01-2006 05:12 PM

Henman is playing very well, lets not forget he made the semis at the FO in 04

Shame he ran into a red hot tursunov at the Aus Open. The court surface dont really suite Henman's game. Too slow.

unkast 02-01-2006 07:25 PM

Yea, this indoor surface will suit Henman. Really hoping he gets some ranking points before Wimbledon.