Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Australia Open Singles Finals; my take. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=64379)

Ripper 01-30-2006 10:04 AM

Australia Open Singles Finals; my take.

Baghdatis - Fed:

Something happened during the last game of the 2nd set. It was 5 sets to Baghdatis, 6 to Federer. Baghdatis was serving and was up 40 - Love, 1 point away of forcing a Tie Break. Nevertheless, Federer won the next 5 points in a row! That was the turning point of the match! Federer stepped it up, right there, and caught Baghdatis by surprise. Baghdatis just couldn't adjust in time and, to make matters worst, his game lost all it's accuracy.

Henin Hardenne - Mauresmo:

Henin Hardenne is, probably, my favorite female player. So, it was hard to witness what Mauresmo was doing to her. Much harder yet, was to see her retire the way she did. I don't doubt that she was feeling sick, but I do doubt that she couldn't play to the end. IMHO, she would have looked a lot better, had she finished the match and explained, afterwards, what she went through. Why she elected to retire, just after the best and longest point of the match had been played (which she won, btw), I don't quite understand. Maybe, she thought that it was the perfect moment, because people were going to remember how good she was, eventhough she was feeling sick, not realizing that it would have an opposite effect. The truth will never be known, because only she knows what she was thinking.

go_nadal 01-31-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper
Baghdatis - Fed:

Something happened during the last game of the 2nd set. It was 5 sets to Baghdatis, 6 to Federer. Baghdatis was serving and was up 40 - Love, 1 point away of forcing a Tie Break. Nevertheless, Federer won the next 5 points in a row! That was the turning point of the match! Federer stepped it up, right there, and caught Baghdatis by surprise. Baghdatis just couldn't adjust in time and, to make matters worst, his game lost all it's accuracy.

Henin Hardenne - Mauresmo:

Henin Hardenne is, probably, my favorite female player. So, it was hard to witness what Mauresmo was doing to her. Much harder yet, was to see her retire the way she did. I don't doubt that she was feeling sick, but I do doubt that she couldn't play to the end. IMHO, she would have looked a lot better, had she finished the match and explained, afterwards, what she went through. Why she elected to retire, just after the best and longest point of the match had been played (which she won, btw), I don't quite understand. Maybe, she thought that it was the perfect moment, because people were going to remember how good she was, eventhough she was feeling sick, not realizing that it would have an opposite effect. The truth will never be known, because only she knows what she was thinking.

I agree mate.
I thought i would say somthing considering no one else is posting on this...:cool:

Ripper 02-01-2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_nadal
I agree mate.
I thought i would say somthing considering no one else is posting on this...:cool:

Thanks. Lol :D Guess everyone agrees!

westy 02-01-2006 10:00 AM

federer is to good

Basicsys 02-01-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

Baghdatis - Fed:

Something happened during the last game of the 2nd set. It was 5 sets to Baghdatis, 6 to Federer.

Where you drinking while watching ?

Basicsys 02-01-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

Baghdatis - Fed:

It was 5 sets to Baghdatis, 6 to Federer.

Where you drinking while watching ?

Keifers 02-01-2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Baghdatis - Fed:

Very good analysis, Ripper.

I just watched that part of the match again, and I would say the previous game, when Federer was serving at 5-5, took a lot out of Baghdatis. There were several long rallies, some of which Baghdatis won to force the game to a couple of deuces, but towards the end of that game, he looked like all the work he had put in during the last 6 matches was catching up with him. He looked visibly different.

Serving down 5-6, he got only one first serve in, and, as you said, Fed won 5 points in a row, winning the set and effectively the match.

Freedom 02-02-2006 11:29 AM

I didn't catch either final, but it sounds like the men's match was fantastic. I like both Mauresmo and Henin, but it always sucks when someone gives up. You're in the final. Play it out. Throw up, nobody cares.

go_nadal 02-03-2006 01:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks. Lol :D Guess everyone agrees!

Well at least some people responded... Even if they were Noobs and they did say were u drinkin... lol.

Basicsys 02-03-2006 07:27 AM

If you mistake sets for games on a tennis forum what more can I say ?

I do agree with your analasys Ripper !

pound cat 02-03-2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keifers
Very good analysis, Ripper.

I just watched that part of the match again, and I would say the previous game, when Federer was serving at 5-5, took a lot out of Baghdatis. There were several long rallies, some of which Baghdatis won to force the game to a couple of deuces, but towards the end of that game, he looked like all the work he had put in during the last 6 matches was catching up with him. He looked visibly different.

Serving down 5-6, he got only one first serve in, and, as you said, Fed won 5 points in a row, winning the set and effectively the match.

1)Federer said he knew he could win when he saw Baghdatis tiring

2) Baghdatis saw the enormity of the match he was playing and his nerves took over..he said he started to think.

dscw 02-04-2006 12:18 AM

i missed the womens final so can someone tell me what kind of tactics was going on that JHH found it so hard to play?