Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Agassi v. Garcia-Lopez @ Delray Results (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=64962)

sekine 02-03-2006 01:31 PM

Agassi v. Garcia-Lopez @ Delray Results

4-6, 2-6. Bye-bye Andre.

GRANITECHIEF 02-03-2006 01:54 PM

Ouch!! Go Vince!!!

breakfast_of_champions 02-03-2006 04:02 PM

andre losing challegers now. fading fast.

Andres 02-03-2006 06:07 PM

Guilllermo only dropped 6 points on his first serve... that's pretty impressive, IMO ;)

superman1 02-03-2006 08:20 PM

:(

Hope Andre picks it up for the SAP because I want him to get to the semis. I had a bad feeling about Garcia-Lopez when I saw the draw, and I've never seen the guy before! Maybe I'm just unsure about Agassi right now. A loss is good for him so he knows where he's at and what he has to do to get back to his 2005 form.

Marius_Hancu 02-03-2006 08:27 PM

this is a catastrophe.
G-L is qualifier level.
he was beaten by all the Spaniards here in Montreal during training and is one of the smallest.

superman1 02-04-2006 01:36 AM

Agassi said that he was out-hit and hasn't gotten the cobwebs out. Agassi is a lot about outsmarting the other player, but when you haven't played any matches and have only done some hitting in the past weeks, it's unlikely to go and win a tournament. He'll be back in form soon. He's always been good about being able to hit the ball better than anyone at any time, no matter how much practice he's had, but at this age it gets tougher to be a superstar all the time.

barry 02-04-2006 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superman1
Agassi said that he was out-hit and hasn't gotten the cobwebs out. Agassi is a lot about outsmarting the other player, but when you haven't played any matches and have only done some hitting in the past weeks, it's unlikely to go and win a tournament. He'll be back in form soon. He's always been good about being able to hit the ball better than anyone at any time, no matter how much practice he's had, but at this age it gets tougher to be a superstar all the time.

Agassi did what was important to him; he picked up his appearance fee and left, and gave his usual song and dance speech. He has played matches, right after the big event in Shanghai, after he faked an injury; he played an exhibition match with Roddick. Time for him to retire.
It is all about the money with him.

Shabazza 02-04-2006 06:39 AM

why am I not surpirsed?!

127 mph 02-04-2006 11:13 AM

This post ended up being nothing more than a chance to bash Andre. I feel as though people should try make good points in a mature manner that respects the discussed person and perhaps even fans of the discussed player. I will come out and say that I really enjoy Agassi but I am man enough to say that on that day we must tip our hats to his opponent for beating him. I myself have beaten players that are stronger, as well as I have lost to opponents that are deemed weaker. A loss doesn't mean you are at that level. At the tennis masters in Montreal I saw Alberto Martins practice partner clean his clock on a practise court. Lets just all be less outspoken.

barry 02-05-2006 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 127 mph
This post ended up being nothing more than a chance to bash Andre. I feel as though people should try make good points in a mature manner that respects the discussed person and perhaps even fans of the discussed player. I will come out and say that I really enjoy Agassi but I am man enough to say that on that day we must tip our hats to his opponent for beating him. I myself have beaten players that are stronger, as well as I have lost to opponents that are deemed weaker. A loss doesn't mean you are at that level. At the tennis masters in Montreal I saw Alberto Martins practice partner clean his clock on a practise court. Lets just all be less outspoken.

Agassi time has passed! After his behavior in Shanghai I don't know how anyone can be a fan. Just because you lose, does not mean you pack up and leave, and then 2 weeks later play an exhibition match.
You do know he demanded an appearance fee just to play this event, plus somehow received an easy draw. So if this is bashing, Oh well it is truth bashing!

Noelle 02-05-2006 06:04 PM

By the way, Delray isn't a challenger.

Matt H. 02-05-2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 127 mph

The buzz around the tournament has been that Andre didn't even care to be there. His general body language and actions just didn't give off the impression that he had a deep desire to play in this tournament. I'm sure he picked up a sizeable appearance fee to take back to his charity and school.

superman1 02-05-2006 09:00 PM

His behavior in Shanghai?? First of all, his injury was the most serious out of any of those guys, except maybe Safin's long-term knee problem. It was the same torn ligaments injury as Federer, except it was more severe and Agassi was completely off his feet for weeks. He made it clear before the match that he was testing an injury and wasn't sure how he'd hold up. And unlike any of the other players, he actually played that first match and at least gave the audience a show. Going to the Masters cost him a trip to his best Grand Slam.

barry 02-06-2006 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superman1
His behavior in Shanghai?? First of all, his injury was the most serious out of any of those guys, except maybe Safin's long-term knee problem. It was the same torn ligaments injury as Federer, except it was more severe and Agassi was completely off his feet for weeks. He made it clear before the match that he was testing an injury and wasn't sure how he'd hold up. And unlike any of the other players, he actually played that first match and at least gave the audience a show. Going to the Masters cost him a trip to his best Grand Slam.

In Shanghai, some of us actually watched the match, he was not injured. He only played 1 match, not 2 according too: (http://************.com/results/2005/a-masters.txt) and was not injured when he arrived. He actually practiced a full week before the tournament, on the courts. Even the ESPN announcers as bias as they are could see no injury. Davydenko beat him easily, and Agassi quit.
2nd year in a row he has quit. Quitting like that cost him a lot of fans and support. I think everyone saw the real Agassi, and it is pretty ugly. Then several weeks later he played and exhibition match with Roddick, you think that was a real injury? I don't. Torn ligaments do not heel in a couple of weeks, they take several months.

Time for him to retired!

llama 02-06-2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry
In Shanghai, some of us actually watched the match, he was not injured. He only played 1 match, not 2 according too: (http://************.com/results/2005/a-masters.txt) and was not injured when he arrived. He actually practiced a full week before the tournament, on the courts. Even the ESPN announcers as bias as they are could see no injury. Davydenko beat him easily, and Agassi quit.
2nd year in a row he has quit. Quitting like that cost him a lot of fans and support. I think everyone saw the real Agassi, and it is pretty ugly. Then several weeks later he played and exhibition match with Roddick, you think that was a real injury? I don't. Torn ligaments do not heel in a couple of weeks, they take several months.

Time for him to retired!

I don't know what match you were watching. I watched that match and it was obvious that he was injured. And the ESPN announcers didn't seem bias at all. They also seemed concerned that he appeared to be injured. At least Agassi collects his appearance fees for a good cause. The "real" Agassi ugly? - (I assume you're speaking of his character). That's just laughable. No other athlete in the world is as generous and philanthropic as he is. "You" don't believe he was injured"? Are you an orthopaedic surgeon? Did you see the x-rays? Do you honestly believe that he'd miss his favourite Slam if he wasn't injured? BTW - a "heel" is the back part of your foot. I think you mean "heal".

barry 02-06-2006 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llama
I don't know what match you were watching. I watched that match and it was obvious that he was injured. And the ESPN announcers didn't seem bias at all. They also seemed concerned that he appeared to be injured. At least Agassi collects his appearance fees for a good cause. The "real" Agassi ugly? - (I assume you're speaking of his character). That's just laughable. No other athlete in the world is as generous and philanthropic as he is. "You" don't believe he was injured"? Are you an orthopaedic surgeon? Did you see the x-rays? Do you honestly believe that he'd miss his favourite Slam if he wasn't injured? BTW - a "heel" is the back part of your foot. I think you mean "heal".

Did you see the x-rays? Tell us how 3 weeks later he was able to do an exhibitation match with Roddick?

I still have it recorded and will watch it again. If he was injured he would have quit during the match, he did not!

llama 02-06-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Did you see the x-rays? Tell us how 3 weeks later he was able to do an exhibitation match with Roddick?

I still have it recorded and will watch it again. If he was injured he would have quit during the match, he did not!

scotus 02-06-2006 01:16 PM

Barry,

If Agassi was not injured, then why did he skip the Australian Open?

llama 02-06-2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

No, I didn't see the x-rays. But I'm not the one accusing him of faking an injury. And he didn't quit at Roland Garros last year - when even you must admit that he was in terrible pain. He said afterward that he had never quit a match and never would if he could manage to play on. As for the exhibition, he also said he and Steffi were committed and didn't want to disappoint anyone. He said the same thing about Shanghai - that people were counting on him coming, so he thought he'd try. In hindsight he shouldn't have gone.

I don't mean to argue with anyone, but what makes me angry is people like you who feel that they should decide when someone should retire. Would you like others telling you what you should do? Wouldn't you think it was arrogant for someone else to decide your life. And Andre is still playing at an extremely high level and generates more interest in tennis than anyone else on the Tour. The way tennis is struggling for any recognition, we should be grateful that he's still playing.