Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Mapping between US and French tennis ranking system (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=675)

Vadim G. 02-29-2004 01:22 PM

Mapping between US and French tennis ranking system

I live in France and read a lot Tennis Warehouse Talk Tennis message board. I see sometimes players give their ranking in message boards and would like to get an idea about what the level of tennis they play. My actual French ranking is 30/3. I hope that someone, who lived and played in both countries, can help me map those two systems.

All I know is the following:

Ranking pyramid in US starts from 1.5 and goes up to 7. Level 6 player often has national ranking.

In France it starts from 30/5 and reaches 0, then goes to negative values where you will find national level players. The pyramid looks like this: 30/5, 30/4, ..., 30/1, 30, 15/5, 15/4, ..., 15/0, 5/6, 4/6, ... 1/6, 0, -1/6, ..., -15. French system uses handicaps.

gutted 03-01-2004 12:13 PM

Sorry Vadim, can't help with the US system but I would like to know some more about the French system and how it works.

Is the ranking self-assesed or achieved via competitive play ? What results are counted ? How often are rankings published ? Do all players have a ranking ? Even those just playing in local leagues ? How do players feel about the ranking system ? Love it, hate it, or just ignore it ? And what do you mean by it "uses handicaps" ?

Sorry for all the questions but there has got to be a reason why France has so many players in the top 100!

Vadim G. 03-01-2004 02:20 PM

OK, let me try...

Ranking is achieved via competitive play. Best 7 or so matches are accounted. In my category, winning player of my level gives 20 points, 3 levels above - 100 points. Ranking for the new year is calculated based on earned points. Rankings are published once a year. There is a procedure to apply for high ranking, if someone did not play for a long time. Yes, all players with valid French Tennis Federation have ranking, even those playing in local leagues. I do not feel ranking is ignored. On the contrary, it gives a precise indication of player's level. I have played around 30 matches and never seen a discrepancy.

Now about ranking system in two words. Level 0 player here France corresponds, in my mind, to USTA level 6 player. Player with 1/6 level, need to start with one point advantage, every game out of 6, to play on the same level with level 0 player. Player with 5/6 would need 15:0 advantage in 5 games out of 6 to play equally, finally 15/0 player - 6 games out of 6 - all games in other words. 15/1 player gets 30:00 one game out of 6, 30/0 - all games. 30/1 player would need 3 points (40:0) one game out of 6. The lowest level is, therefore, 30/5 - 40:0 5 games out of each 6. Below that level the player can not be ranked. Finally, negative ranking (-1/6, -5/6, etc.) is used before a player gets national ranking.

bookem 03-02-2004 09:08 PM

Bonjour Vadim...

For comparisons, I suggest visiting the ITF-sponsored program of International Tennis Numbers, a system whereby one can compare ratings across several countries. The website is www.internationaltennisnumbers.com.

Based on your self-rating of French 30/3, that is equivalent to US 2.0. Hope this helps...

Just my $0.02...