Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pacific Life Open (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Will Nadal have any rival to challenge him? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=70155)

joy 03-17-2006 09:47 PM

Will Nadal have any rival to challenge him?

By the way he rips through his opponents with ease, I doubt will there be anyone who can atleast challenge Rafa in his entire career. Atleast, Sampras had Agassi, Rafter etc who won him quite a few times. As of now, no body (Federer included) seems to stand a chance against him. Nadal is only 19 and he can very well dominate the circuit for atleast 10 or may be even 15 more years. During this period, if he continues to annihilate his opponenets in the way he does right now which is likely the case and maintains the same form, he would end up winning atleast 35 - 40 grand slam titles. In fact he would win anything and everything that he enters. Don't be surprised but it's very well a possibility. I am not sarcastic but I am stating the obvious fact. No body has ever dominated the game with such an authority as this guy does. So tennis is heading towards a single man domination for the next 10-15 years with no real drama. That's what I feel. But it would be good if some youngster (Monfils, Gasquet or Young) rises up and at least throws him a challenge if not beat him though it would be highly unlikely. I don't like Nadal's dominance because of his brash, arrogant and ruthless personality and Nadal's fans can happily enjoy the game for the next 15-20 years where the game will have only a single winner in every tournament. Frankly, I can't think of anyone who can beat Rafa. He is beyond human. Federer fans and fans of other players can better stop watching tennis. Other players can only compete for runners up.

archangelkc 03-17-2006 09:54 PM

okay. nadal is good, but he clearly doesn't dominate the game to the level you are talking about. The guy has won 1 grand slam. Federer won all the rest. Nadal has not yet proved that he is more dominate than federer. Federer is by far the most dominate and last I checked still the top player in the world by a long shot. Nadal has a way to go before being put above Federer. I like nadal tons better than federer, but nadal hasn't done enough yet the be called more dominate.

nocab 03-17-2006 09:58 PM

maybe we should pause this discussion until after nadal plays blake, thats going to be alot closer matchup then you may think

Virtuous 03-17-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

he would end up winning atleast 35 - 40 grand slam titles
Quote:

Frankly, I can't think of anyone who can beat Rafa. He is beyond human. Federer fans and fans of other players can better stop watching tennis. Other players can only compete for runners up.
o...k. Get some sleep

KickServer 03-17-2006 10:34 PM

LOL. This guy is joking, right????

TheSneakerologist 03-17-2006 10:44 PM

your full of crap lmao. Fed is god, you must be referring to him right? nadals gonna run outta gas or get injured so take that into account within the 40 slams buddy

VamosRafa 03-17-2006 11:06 PM

This thread is just a joke, I'm sure.

hyperwarrior 03-17-2006 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joy
By the way he rips through his opponents with ease, I doubt will there be anyone who can atleast challenge Rafa in his entire career. Atleast, Sampras had Agassi, Rafter etc who won him quite a few times. As of now, no body (Federer included) seems to stand a chance against him. Nadal is only 19 and he can very well dominate the circuit for atleast 10 or may be even 15 more years. During this period, if he continues to annihilate his opponenets in the way he does right now which is likely the case and maintains the same form, he would end up winning atleast 35 - 40 grand slam titles. In fact he would win anything and everything that he enters. Don't be surprised but it's very well a possibility. I am not sarcastic but I am stating the obvious fact. No body has ever dominated the game with such an authority as this guy does. So tennis is heading towards a single man domination for the next 10-15 years with no real drama. That's what I feel. But it would be good if some youngster (Monfils, Gasquet or Young) rises up and at least throws him a challenge if not beat him though it would be highly unlikely. I don't like Nadal's dominance because of his brash, arrogant and ruthless personality and Nadal's fans can happily enjoy the game for the next 15-20 years where the game will have only a single winner in every tournament. Frankly, I can't think of anyone who can beat Rafa. He is beyond human. Federer fans and fans of other players can better stop watching tennis. Other players can only compete for runners up.

Don't be surprise if the rate of your thread is terrible.

quest01 03-17-2006 11:18 PM

First of all you have to surpass 14 grand slam victories by Pete Sampras. That alone will be hard for any player to achieve.

Fumoffu 03-17-2006 11:59 PM

don't feed the troll, guys >_>

joy 03-18-2006 12:41 AM

No guys, This thread is not a joke. I am very serious. May be Federer can beat all the other guys but can never beat Nadal. If you have doubt, just wait and see. But Nadal can beat all, anyone and everyone. At present, there is no one who has the ability to give him any trouble. This is the obvious fact and it is very much proved in the results. You may go by the ranking points to assert your claim that Federer is more dominant. But that points will completely reverse in quite a few days. Federer wont be no 1 for long since he cannot beat Nadal. Nadal will win everything, beat Federer on every occassion and therefore rise to no 1 and Federer will slip to no 2. Nadal's presence will psycologically upset Federer and he will only get fed up, frustated and demoralised more and more because of his inability to overcome Nadal (mental obstacle). So his game will slip further and his ranking too. He will meet the same fate as Hewitt and Courier. So simple logic, it's clear who is more dominant. And then even in future there does not appear to be anyone who can take on Nadal face to face. Do you think anyone can? Fellow youngsters (Gasquet, Monfils, Young etc) are too inconsistent and also they do not have the game to trouble Nadal in anyway. This fact is pretty obvious. So, I don't see Nadal losing anything atleast in the next 10 years. In fact, you can't have a game plan against him. He is extraordinary. In the next 15 years, he would compete atleast 15*4 = 60 grand slams of which in the worst case he would win atleast 50% of it i.e. 30 at the minimum. So my logic is correct and I have proved it. Everybody says Nadal wont win this and that but he proves everyone wrong. You guys said he would lose to Baghdatis, but what happened? He ripped Baghdatis apart. Now you would say he would lose to blake and it's obvious what's going to happen. Then, same with Federer and the same outcome. IMHO, Nadal is the greatest player in history by a long long way. There is no contest here. I speak my heart out and not a joke.

slice bh compliment 03-18-2006 05:46 AM

I'll play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joy
No guys, This thread is not a joke. I am very serious. May be Federer can beat all the other guys but can never beat Nadal. If you have doubt, just wait and see. But Nadal can beat all, anyone and everyone. At present, there is no one who has the ability to give him any trouble. ....IMHO, Nadal is the greatest player in history by a long long way. There is no contest here. I speak my heart out and not a joke.

YEah. His only real opponent is history. And history is his only opponent.

Rod Laver's a total chump in the presence of Rafa.
Bjorn Borg's 6 Slams at Roland and 5 at the All England Club: nothing compared to Rafa.
Edberg, Mac, Sampras? One-trick ponies. Glorified Rafters and Stichs.
Boris? Undedicated. Not a fighter. Not worthy of the same paragraph as Rafa.
Agassi winning all four Slams: a blip on Rafa's screen.
Budge, Tilden, Kramer, Perry, Gonzales? They bow before Rafa's greatness.
Lendl, Borg, Vilas, Muster, Bruguera, Kuerten? After watching Rafa, they finally understand how to compete on clay!!
Yannick Noah and Jim Courier? Lacking in charisma compared to the wonderful Rafa Nadal.

;)

Okay joy, we appreciate and admire your enthusiasm. People like VamosRafa or Uncle Toni (Nadal)...or Rafa himself would love to read your words. But don't you think even THEY would consider them a little premature?

wilsonplayer 03-18-2006 05:57 AM

you can't use simple math to find out how many grand slams a player will win, because it will never work out. that's the beauty of tennis, anybody in the top say 75-50 can win against anybody. so, you can't say 15*4=60/2= 30.

equinox 03-18-2006 07:01 AM

Nadal will spend more time out of the game injured than winning tournaments. He'll win a few french opens and maybe one hardcourt slam.
He'll hold number #1 ranking for a few weeks or month at a time.
Injuries from the tough demanding style of game he plays will cut his career short by serveral years.
That's my prediction.

tlm 03-18-2006 07:52 AM

I agree nadal will be #1 but lets not go crazy with these wild predictions.First of all nadal has one grand slam but thats at the age of 19,guess how many slams fed won at that age, thats right none.As far as all these injury predictions that is just what all the fed fans are hoping for because they know what is coming.As far as injurys go all players get hurt the only thing nadal has to do is cut back how much he plays.Nadal is in better shape than any other player,as far as his style leading to injurys, it looks like the opposing players will get more injurys trying to stay with him.I agree that blake might give him trouble,i think right now blake has a better chance than fed.Nadal is the best player out there right now, i dont care what all you fed fans say.I remember hearing nadal could only win on clay,then bags was going to beat him last night,ya that was a helluva match wasnt it.Nadal kicked his butt all over the court.The one thing all you fed fans have to explain to me is if fed is the god then how could nadal beat him 3 out of 4.Do that math, you boys better get used to the number 2 word because that is were your boy fed the god is headed.Fed is a great player but he has been lucky the mens field has been weak,his run is over!!

atatu 03-18-2006 08:02 AM

I'm not a Federer fan, but I can tell you Nadal will not win Wimbledon as long as Federer is around.

tlm 03-18-2006 08:19 AM

You are right nadal most likely will not win at wimbly,who cares grass is for cows not tennis.But i do recall hearing nadal will only win on clay in the past.

Rickson 03-18-2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joy

Nadal gets beaten on a regular basis on hard courts so I don't know what you're talking about. Nadal is tough on clay, but to say he has no challenge, is a ridiculous statement. Federer is the one to beat right now because he's good on every surface. Rafa on the other hand, has proven to be tough on clay, is getting better but certainly not unbeatable on hard courts, and is weak on grass. Please don't make Rafael Nadal to be more than he is. Rafa is good, but you're making seem invincible on any surface and everybody knows that's not the case.

dozu 03-18-2006 11:29 AM

the original post is not even good enough for an onion.com article..... my only concern for Nadal is that the game is too much of grind... these type of players may seem to be invincible (Courier, Change, Muster), but usually their dominance may not last long because it takes too much out of their body... Nadal just had an injury that sidelined him for a couple of months, if he keeps up this style of play, I bet my house that he won't last past age 25.... meaning that he has 6 years of prime left, in which he may have 50% chance of winning the French, 0% of Wimbledon, 20% of USO (which is generous) and 30% of Aussie, that would give him 6 more slams by the time he burns out.

looking at the history of this game, the players with Agassi-like longevity plays a baseline game that controls the center of the court and stand close to the baseline..... the way Nadal plays, the mileage quickly addes up on the odometer and wear/tear will show up someday for sure.

D-man 03-18-2006 06:20 PM

nadal jus got a spankin