Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pacific Life Open (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Federer vs. Blake final: thoughts (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=70487)

ferrari_827 03-20-2006 05:35 AM

Federer vs. Blake final: thoughts

I taped the final and watched it twice to see what really happened. At first, Federer was hitting alot of topspin backhands and Blake was getting into a good rhythm. Blake actually likes consistent pace from his opponents.

What does Federer do ? Use alot of slices to change the pace, slow one moment, fast the next, drop shots, severe angles. In other words, forcing Blake to play a more *finesse* game, rather than the pure power game. Against Nadal, the power game worked.

Without the rhythm, Blake was shanking alot of flat shots, and eventually got confused and discouraged.

At first, I thought it was Blake just losing it mentally, but actually there's alot more to it. He's not used to all the different paces and spins Federer dished up.

Nadal seems to have Fed's number for now, but I think it's more mental than anything else. Personally, I don't find Nadal's game that impressive to watch, especially on TV where you can't see the ball bouncing from all that topspin.

Ripper 03-20-2006 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrari_827
I taped the final and watched it twice to see what really happened. At first, Federer was hitting alot of topspin backhands and Blake was getting into a good rhythm. Blake actually likes consistent pace from his opponents.

What does Federer do ? Use alot of slices to change the pace, slow one moment, fast the next, drop shots, severe angles. In other words, forcing Blake to play a more *finesse* game, rather than the pure power game. Against Nadal, the power game worked.

Without the rhythm, Blake was shanking alot of flat shots, and eventually got confused and discouraged.

At first, I thought it was Blake just losing it mentally, but actually there's alot more to it. He's not used to all the different paces and spins Federer dished up.

Yes, apparently, the harder his opponent hits the ball, the more Blake likes it. If you give him deep balls without pace, he can't play his game.

slice bh compliment 03-20-2006 06:41 AM

Good analysis above. True that Blake looked more and more confused from the middle of the 1st set on. This manifested itself in a lot of poor net play from the normally agile Blake.
Throw in the fact that Fedi started to really feel it -- hitting harder at times, toying with JB on occasion, too.

Nice match, actually, if only JB had closed out the first set.

ask1ed 03-20-2006 07:58 AM

Once again Blake lives up to the moniker, "The player who gets the least out of the most talent/foot speed."

tonysk83 03-20-2006 03:59 PM

Blake had a chance in the 2nd set aswell but couldn't produce anything from that. His net play was horrible, he had so many chances to put shots away and either missed or didnt put it away good enough.

PLOballkid 03-20-2006 07:30 PM

Blake Federer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrari_827

Nadal seems to have Fed's number for now, but I think it's more mental than anything else. Personally, I don't find Nadal's game that impressive to watch, especially on TV where you can't see the ball bouncing from all that topspin.

I agree with this i was the ball kid at net for the entire match and after Federer was down 5-3 he just started changing everything and completely took Blake out of the match. I could tell by Blake's body language when they sat that he was tired and worn down and Federer was just getting warmed up. Blake and Federer are both classy guys and were very nice to me throughout the last 5 years ive been a ball kid at the Pacific Life Open.

knyks342 03-20-2006 09:53 PM

actually if you took a closer look i will tell you exactly what federer did to blake.
He took away James's forehand by hitting it to his forehand. Most people dont notice this but James likes it when his oponent hits it to his backhand....this way he can run around the backhand and hit his inside out forehand. What federer was doing was instead of just keeping it to James's backhand...he hit it down the middle to James's Forehand side. What this did was it took away James's biggest shot and forced him to try to hit a winner crosscourt with his forehand which is not likely his best shot. Anyone who plays knows in order to create angle one must be given an angle by hitting down the middle all James could do was hit a deep shot and come to the net..his volleys failed him and this took away from James's game

Federer did something I have never seen before and that is taking away James's forehand by actually hitting it to his forehand.

mgm 03-23-2006 05:27 PM

Hey ferrari 827 can i get a copy of that final match.i will pay.Any one please.
denoz70@yahoo.com
Thanks

whistleway 03-23-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgm
Hey ferrari 827 can i get a copy of that final match.i will pay.Any one please.
denoz70@yahoo.com
Thanks

Really, I watched that match. And it was not a classic match by any chance.

Marius_Hancu 03-23-2006 05:58 PM

it was all mental; Fed knew JB couldn't (yet?) sustain the game he had in the first several games, and the worst for Blake was he knew that himself

the lack of variety in intensity in JB is his undoing; Fed cooked him slowly, cooked him faster, and then exploded ...