Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Courier's racquet? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=7109)

djones 06-21-2004 02:13 AM

Courier's racquet?

Who knows which racquet Jim courier was playing with?
Was it the Wilson 6.0?

Fred The Red 06-21-2004 04:00 AM

Re: Courier's racquet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by djones
Who knows which racquet Jim courier was playing with?
Was it the Wilson 6.0?

During his most successful years he used the Wilson PS 6.0.

The last years of his career he used an (Dunlop?) prototype
racquet painted totaly black witout a companyname, logos,...

ps: i miss him on tour: such a great competitor!

drakulie 06-21-2004 04:20 AM

He played with a PS 6.0 85, from St. Vincent. I actually met him this year at the Nasdaq, and took a picture with him. He actually allowed me to look at his racquets and speak to him about his use of these (PS 6.0) racquets- 2 Wilson 6.0 85's, both from St. Vincent.

The picture I took with him has both racquets.

Awesome player, one of my favorites.

djones 06-21-2004 05:25 AM

Is courier the only player who had/has a double handed backhand with such a small racquet head?

Hal 06-21-2004 07:45 AM

Huh? Borg and Connors both had two handed backhands with traditional sized racquets. In fact, Jimmy's Wilson T-2000 head size was probably smaller than most wood racquets.

Fred The Red 06-21-2004 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie
He played with a PS 6.0 85, from St. Vincent. I actually met him this year at the Nasdaq, and took a picture with him. He actually allowed me to look at his racquets and speak to him about his use of these (PS 6.0) racquets- 2 Wilson 6.0 85's, both from St. Vincent.

The picture I took with him has both racquets.

Awesome player, one of my favorites.

@ Drakulie

Can you please say more about that racquet conversation with Jim.
I'm really interested. :wink:

I beleived also that Wilson produced a PS racquet for a Courier line (Amercan flag paintjob) but he never wanted to play with it.
That was the reason why Wilson stopped to sponsor him.
Can someone confirm this?

drakulie 06-21-2004 10:12 AM

Fred the Red. I just happened to see him when he was walking off the practice court. Apparently he was conducting an exhibition, and had just finished signing a bunch of autographs. Anyway, he was heading to the same box I was, so I just started talking to him when I saw his racquets. I asked if I could look at them, and he handed them both to me. They were both from St. Vincent, and he confirmed this when I asked him. I also asked if he ever used the later version, he said he has hit with them but liked the way the St. Vincents played.

He asked why I was so curious and I mentioned to him that I also play with the St. Vincents. He said cool, and made a joke. I then took a picture with him. By the way I did not notice any lead tape on the racquet. Although I did not focus on the strings, they looked like nartural gut.

PS; he still hits a ton and plays like he could still go out there and play on the pro tour.

Super, super nice guy.

drakulie 06-21-2004 10:14 AM

Fred the Red, I could e-mail you a picture if you want.It shows both butt caps of the racquet, and some of the throat. I am trying to post it on here, and somehow can't do it.

Swan Song 06-21-2004 03:05 PM

I thought Courier used his own strings by Gosen. BTW drakulie, did you asked him if he was sponsored by Wilson?

FYI. If a player does not have a stencil, that DOES NOT mean that he or she is not sponsored.

tennisnoob 06-21-2004 06:05 PM

Hey Drakulie

Could you email the pics to me as well? I'm a great fan of Jim Courier as well as the St' Vincent Pro Staff, I've got 6 St' Vincent Pro Staff myself! Love the way it plays! Anyway, appreciate if you could email the pics to jtradical@yahoo.com.
Thanks a million![/url]

kooyah 06-21-2004 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djones
Is courier the only player who had/has a double handed backhand with such a small racquet head?

Chris Evert used the PS 6.0 85 when she was on tour.

Swan Song 06-21-2004 09:46 PM

What you guys mentioned about the two hander players using a small head, you just missed the cream filling.

Marat Safin- Head Prestige 600
Mary Pierce(back in the 90s?)- Wilson Pro Staff St. Vincent
Goran Ivanisevic- Head Prestige 600
Andrea Jaeger- Wilson Ultra Midsize
Pete Sampras(before Pete Fischer changed it)- You know what and Kneissl White Star
Mats Wilander- Rossignol F-200
Rainer Schuettler- Head Prestige 600
Lleyton Hewitt- Yonex Super RD Tour 90
...and a couple others.

Fred The Red 06-21-2004 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie
Fred the Red, I could e-mail you a picture if you want.It shows both butt caps of the racquet, and some of the throat. I am trying to post it on here, and somehow can't do it.

Hey, that would be great!

fredthered78@hotmail.com

Thanks! 8)

drakulie 06-22-2004 04:04 AM

Swan Song, no I didn't ask him about any sponsorship. To be honest I did not think of it, although that would have been a good question(maybe next year). It does seem he may still be sponsored by nike, cause he had on all nike gear.

What I could tell you about the racquet is it had the red primer, no stenciling inside the throat, and the original stickers seemed to have either fallen off or been removed long ago, "Midsize"on both sides no-"6.0", the grip seemed regular with tournagrip (very worn), and the butt cap on one racquet had been replaced. The other butt cap had the 3-letter code with the last letter ending in "Q". I do not remember if the racquets had a bumper guard. No vibration dampener.

I could tell you it was very cool to know I play with the exact same racquets as Courier, and know they are not paint jobs.

The best part was he was extremely friendly, took time to chat with me awhile, and easy going. He joked around a lot and kept asking if I was enjoying the tournament.

dax_q 06-22-2004 06:57 AM

I thought later in his career, he started playing with a custom racquet because he was having arm problems. Maybe he went back to the st.vincents after he retired, but he did not always play with it when he was on the tour.

@wright 06-22-2004 07:07 AM

Bjorn Borg had a two hander and played with a wood racquet.

Datacipher 06-22-2004 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dax_q
I thought later in his career, he started playing with a custom racquet because he was having arm problems. Maybe he went back to the st.vincents after he retired, but he did not always play with it when he was on the tour.

I did not follow Courier's racquet changes closely but he DEFINITELY played with some different frames for at least a short time. Reportedly Dunlops. I have pictures of him with an all black frame...definitely not the 6.1 he started with....but I always suspected he would go back to the frame that he had the most success with.

Young Pete 06-22-2004 11:59 PM

i saw courier's holding a racquet that is not a st. vincent

hi all, i saw at one time a picture of courier playing with a ps 85 original (painted all black) but near the bottom of the oval around the inner circle of his racquet, i saw a little sign which reads....."85sq. in"......if this is true, then courier would have been playing with A NEWER VERSION OF THE PS 6.0.....THE ONES MADE IN THE EARLY 90'S................CAN ANYONE VERIFY THIS?........

rubyou 06-23-2004 03:59 AM

They are PS 6.0 Strung for him last year for an exhibition. He used Gosen string with his name imprinted on the string. Did 3 frames 55,58,@ 61 lbs. The frames were pretty beat up, one could have used a new bumper guard. He had tournagrip on them that looked like it had been on there quite awhile, dirty!

drakulie 06-23-2004 06:19 AM

rubyou, those sound exactly like the racquets I looked at when I met courier at the Nasdaq (down to the beat up tournagrip). I sent a couple people pictures.