Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Recurring ankle problems (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=7225)

iradical18 06-22-2004 11:09 PM

Recurring ankle problems

I've had recurring ankle problems for about 2 years now, can anyone recommend a good ankle brace for me, preferebly under 50 dollars. And also does anyone know of some good ankle strengthening excercises i could do? I plan on not playing any serious matches for a while and also laying off the hardcore practice sessions, im going to stick to drills and serve practice for a good while. Thanks a lot for any input.

bigserving 06-23-2004 10:50 AM

Unfortunately, I tore up may ankle badly a few years ago, 3 ligs on the outside and 2 on the inside. Major hecka big ouch. In all, I was feeling the effects for about two years after.

I was back on the court however, in less than two months. A couple of things that helped me a lot were some shoes. There is a company (the name escapes me at the moment) that makes shoes to prevents ankle injuries. Their technologie is the "cantilever sole" and it really does work. I use their high-top basketball shoes on court for about a year.

The other thing that I would suggest, if you have the resources, is to go to a sports physical therapist. They should be able to give you some insight into why your ankle continues to hurt where it does, and give you some excersises to help strengthten the affected ligament. I went Crowell in Fair Oaks and they really helped me understand what to expect in the healing process.

For about a year also, I used some light athletic tape on my ankle. It worked better for me because I found it to be firmer, yet less bulky than braces.

Always wear two pair of socks so that your foot and ankle can slide around a bit in your shoe.

If I remember the brand of those shoes, I will come back, maybe you can to a search or call of couple of athletic shoe stores and ask.

iradical18 06-23-2004 11:28 AM

Thanks a lot, appreciate it, i think ill try the tape and the 2 pairs of socks and see how it works for me.

Rickson 06-23-2004 12:22 PM

Ice the ankle down after an injury. Too many people put heat on an ankle sprain and make the injury worse. You need to prevent swelling, not add on to it with heat. Remember, ice after an injury, not heat.

dennis1188 06-23-2004 03:34 PM

After trying lots of products upon returning to california hrd courts after yrs overseas on the syn. grass. I like the mcdavid ankle supports (about $28 per) .It has lace up w/ figure eight velcro straps and a additional wide velcro strap wrap-around. I also use spenco heel cushions and wear thick thoro soxs. I like the support and cushioning in addias barracade 2 shoes (i like the mobility of a very stable low cut shoe). I find i can play almost daily and usta now w/o problems or taking any painkillers etc. Good luck.

Ronaldo 06-23-2004 04:12 PM

Believe Avia has the cantilever sole technology, heel is concave and spreads wider and flatter when weight is placed on the heel. Had a pr of Avia tennis shoes and cross-trainers about 10 yrs ago. Soft ride.

bigserving 06-23-2004 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo
Believe Avia has the cantilever sole technology, heel is concave and spreads wider and flatter when weight is placed on the heel. Had a pr of Avia tennis shoes and cross-trainers about 10 yrs ago. Soft ride.

Thats the brand, thanks Ronaldo, they make a difference and really worked for me.

I was taught to wear a pair of cotton socks next to my feet to absorb sweat, and a pair of socks that had more polyester over those.

david aames 06-23-2004 07:54 PM

Just a thought, have you tried orthotics? I'm not saying you don't need ankle support but some people who use ankle support sometimes overlook what good orthotics alone can do for them.

BTW, anyone have experience with 'solesupports' orthotics? I know for a fact that Roddick had some done through them.