Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Grass courts (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=72923)

Arafel 04-05-2006 11:25 AM

Grass courts
 
Aside from Forest Hills, Newport, Mission Hills and Philadelphia, where are there grass courts in the US? I've always wanted to play on that surface and I never got a chance when I lived in NY to play at Forest Hills. I'd especially be interested in finding any grass courts relatively close (1 state over) to Colorado, although I know, given the climate, that's highly unlikely.

Alternatively, does anyone run a tennis camp on grass courts?

Rob the Tennis Player 04-05-2006 04:28 PM

If I remember correctly, John Newcombe's camp in New Braunfels, Texas has some grass courts. I realize it's a little far, but from what I hear it's a great camp.

RiosTheGenius 04-05-2006 04:35 PM

they are usually in places where only those who are "members" can enter. If you know what I mean.

the maintenance of those courts is expensive, that's why only the aristocrats have access to it...... this isn't new, it's part of tennis history.

Geoff 04-05-2006 08:46 PM

There are grass courts at the JW Marriott Desert resort as well as the LaQuinta Resort in the Palm Springs area. Guests pay an hourly guest fee for use of the grass courts. Both facilities have well maintained courts that play quite well.
http://www.laquintaresort.com/tennis/
http://marriott.com/property/aboutho...WT_Ref=mi_left

10S_Playr 04-05-2006 09:14 PM

There are also 2 grass courts at Saddlebrook outside of Tampa, FL...

GRANITECHIEF 04-06-2006 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10S_Playr
There are also 2 grass courts at Saddlebrook outside of Tampa, FL...

I played on those, they were fun. You go to bounce the ball preparing for the serve and miss catching it cuz it doesn't come up. Very low skidding bounces make for quick points.

GRANITECHIEF 04-06-2006 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob the Tennis Player
If I remember correctly, John Newcombe's camp in New Braunfels, Texas has some grass courts. I realize it's a little far, but from what I hear it's a great camp.

Hey Rob, have you ever been to Helotes? I'm thinking about buying some land there and wondering if you have any opinions/info about it.

Geezer Guy 04-06-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob the Tennis Player
If I remember correctly, John Newcombe's camp in New Braunfels, Texas has some grass courts. I realize it's a little far, but from what I hear it's a great camp.

Nope - there aren't any at Newk's, unless they were added in the last 6 monthes. But, not far from there (in Houston?) the Westside Tennis Club has all four of the championship surfaces at one facility.

And, I think I heard that our next Davis Cup match will be held on grass somewhere in California.

Port Royal Plantation on Hilton Head Island has grass, clay, and hardcourt.

arky-tennis 04-06-2006 03:02 PM

No grass at Newk's. All the ones I know are here.

SteveI 04-06-2006 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arafel
Aside from Forest Hills, Newport, Mission Hills and Philadelphia, where are there grass courts in the US? I've always wanted to play on that surface and I never got a chance when I lived in NY to play at Forest Hills. I'd especially be interested in finding any grass courts relatively close (1 state over) to Colorado, although I know, given the climate, that's highly unlikely.

Alternatively, does anyone run a tennis camp on grass courts?

Hi,

Hilton Head, SC.. played on them with TW user "GS".. It was Heaven! We got kicked off the clay (for mantainance) and were asked if it was ok.. and that we could use the Grass courts because we got the boot... Miller Time baby!

Steve

DANMAN 04-06-2006 09:19 PM

The Sandestin Hilton has two grass courts. They had 4 but are phasing them out it seems. Hopefully they will still be there this summer.

North 04-07-2006 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI
Hi,

Hilton Head, SC.. played on them with TW user "GS".. It was Heaven! We got kicked off the clay (for mantainance) and were asked if it was ok.. and that we could use the Grass courts because we got the boot... Miller Time baby!

Steve

Think they realized you were not disappointed having to clear off the clay? - lol! :) It sounds great. Do they usually reserve the grass courts for tournaments/special events, or can you play on them whenever?

I live in the Mid-Atlantic (DC-Baltimore) and only know of one private club with one grass court that is not really in very good shape. Don't know of any other grass courts around here.

SteveI 04-07-2006 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North
Think they realized you were not disappointed having to clear off the clay? - lol! :) It sounds great. Do they usually reserve the grass courts for tournaments/special events, or can you play on them whenever?

I live in the Mid-Atlantic (DC-Baltimore) and only know of one private club with one grass court that is not really in very good shape. Don't know of any other grass courts around here.

Hi,

We tried not to "run over" the worker that gave us that nice option to get to the Grass Courts. It was great.. funny going from the high-bouncing clay courts to the "slick" grass in one day...

I am unsure about access to the courts. I think they were in the range of $50.00 hour. I do think they are open to the public.

Regards,
Steve

Yuki Kirihara 04-12-2006 07:10 PM

My nephew was able to play on the grass court(s) in the JW Marriott Desert resort in Palm Springs. They have three, but phase them out to keep the grass in good condition.

He said it was excellent. Didn't notice the ball being too much faster, but everything died on the grass -slices bounced two inches off the ground.

It sounds fun. I'll have to get out there myself.

They let him play on it for free during a tournament there.

supremebeing 04-13-2006 05:46 PM

There are grass courts at Crandon Park in Florida. NASDAQ is played there, but not on grass

slice bh compliment 04-19-2006 03:27 AM

There is an Aussie who runs a daily-fee grass court facility called the Hague Ranch. It is in Southlake, Texas. Mostly rye. Just 3 courts, laid in the past few years. They felt great, well-rolled even when pretty new. I feel lucky I got to play on them while in that area.

evw 04-19-2006 10:13 AM

eastern oregon
 
there is a grass court facility in eastern oregon. I've been wanting to spend a couple of days out there when go on my annual trip to the Gorge to windsurf but once in the water it always becomes just a thought.

http://www.eoni.com/~stanley/history.htm

jax11213 04-21-2006 06:15 PM

There are four grass courst in Wilmington,NC. Probably some of the only grass courts in the south. Located at Landfall Country Club.

BigboyDan 04-21-2006 06:23 PM

In addition to those mentioned above: two, at least, at a resort in Hawaii; two more in Ponta Vedra Beach, Florida; and there is a private club on Long Island that has eight grass courts.

MLoutch 04-28-2006 11:36 AM

Houston Grass Courts
 
Westside Tennis club (home of the US clay courts) in Houston has 4 courts - they were designed and installed by David Kimpton of the Queens Club in England. They also have 9 red french clay courts installed by the Roland Garros crew and are the only ones like them in the USA - go to www.westsidetennis.com

i bet since you are from out of town you can set up a lesson or a member guest match -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse