Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   A curious sight... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74420)

Dunlopkid 04-17-2006 07:11 AM

A curious sight...
 
When I went to the RCA qualifying in Indianapolis last year, I got a chance to watch some of the main draw players practice on some side courts. I saw Gambill, Dent, Blake, Kiefer and others up really close. However, the funny thing was that Blake was hitting with a Wilson and Kiefer was playing with a Head LM Prestige. After a while, Blake went back to his Dunlop, but I thought it odd that they would do this. Aren't these guys under contract or something? Any explanation for this?


Also, on a side note: how good are the lowest level qualifier players? I remember watching one match in which one of the guys didn't look that good at all. A lot of shanked balls and UE's.

vkartikv 04-17-2006 07:20 AM

They might have been trying out their friends' racquets. If it's just a practice, I don't think they are under any obligation to a) stencil their racquets and b) use what their sponsors say they do.

Mr.Federer 04-17-2006 08:21 AM

1) It's just a practice
2) Blake I believe didn't have a racket contract back then.

J-man 04-17-2006 09:54 AM

it was last year (2005). i think he did

Mr.Federer 04-17-2006 10:06 AM

No he didn't...remember he had the m-fil 200 pj but no dunlop stencil. Blake didn't have a racquet contract at that time. Look at this picture, it was taken at the 2005 rca championships. http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...53254561&cdi=0

J-man 04-17-2006 10:11 AM

oh yeah now i remeber. he didn't have a stencil. they were talking about it on these boards around that time

Dunlopkid 04-17-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Federer
No he didn't...remember he had the m-fil 200 pj but no dunlop stencil. Blake didn't have a racquet contract at that time. Look at this picture, it was taken at the 2005 rca championships. http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...53254561&cdi=0


good find, Mr. Federer

Dunlopkid 04-17-2006 10:45 AM

Now that I think about it, I do remember Blake's Dunlop having no stencil there.

Fee 04-17-2006 11:31 AM

Blake lost his Dunlop contract on July 1st last year (some of the contracts end on the fiscal year instead of with the tennis season).

Dunlopkid 04-17-2006 11:34 AM

Interesting, Fee

LN_Dad 04-19-2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunlopkid
Also, on a side note: how good are the lowest level qualifier players? I remember watching one match in which one of the guys didn't look that good at all. A lot of shanked balls and UE's.

Were you watching a qualifying event or a qualifier playing in the main draw? Usually guys who can qualify for the main draw are at least in the 200 to 300 range so they're pretty darn good. May be the guy was just nervous and couldn't hit the ball cleanly like he normally does. Do you recall his name?

Dunlopkid 04-20-2006 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LN_Dad
Were you watching a qualifying event or a qualifier playing in the main draw? Usually guys who can qualify for the main draw are at least in the 200 to 300 range so they're pretty darn good. May be the guy was just nervous and couldn't hit the ball cleanly like he normally does. Do you recall his name?


I don't remember his name. It was a qualifier playing in the qualifying draw.

marrickville 04-20-2006 06:36 AM

actually, sponsored players have to use sponsor's gear/product even during training.

Dunlopkid 04-20-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marrickville
actually, sponsored players have to use sponsor's gear/product even during training.


That's what I thought.

Freedom 04-20-2006 11:27 AM

Well don't tell on them. ;)

tennisfan23 05-26-2006 01:30 PM

Hey DunlopKid, was Kiefer using a real LM Prestige or a PJ? Thanks.

Brad Smith 05-26-2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunlopkid
I don't remember his name. It was a qualifier playing in the qualifying draw.

Tournaments usually have a few wildcards into the qualifying tournament so he could have been a local pro or college player who was in over his head.

Dunlopkid 05-27-2006 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisfan23
Hey DunlopKid, was Kiefer using a real LM Prestige or a PJ? Thanks.


I have no idea. I wasn't able to get that close to Kiefer.

marc 06-01-2006 11:34 AM

i just did a quick look-through of the 2005 quali draw, you are right, there were some jokers that snuck their way into the draw. the thing is that when draws don't fill up, usually whoever signs in will get in (through a WC). players who don't have points are usually not allowed to sign in for direct acceptance so that is why you see so many wild cards (WC) in the quali draw.

the guys i am talking about are not bad bad players. just not ATP level. when they play ATP level guys, they look bad though.

to give more background info, there are so many tournaments in the summer that the players are all spread out. everyone is trying to figure out where the draw will be weakest. wherever "everyone" is going is exactly where i don't go. making the schedule, especially for players with a little $ who really want to move up in the rankings is a big game. that results in sometimes futures having stronger draws than challengers or challengers having stronger draws than some main tour level qualis. anyway, there are so many events that the quali draws of a lot of main tour level events do not fill, allowing guys with a point, or 2 points, or even no points to get in. going off the top of my head, you can usually count on seeing these types of guys in Washington, Indianapolis, LA, Newport...and in the spring, San Jose and the tournament in Arizona as well.

hope this helps you guys.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse