Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Racquets that pros' are really using (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=746)

Watusi 03-01-2004 10:43 PM

Racquets that pros' are really using

Behind the paintjobs...

BreakPoint 03-01-2004 11:21 PM

My ongoing theory is that there are actually only four racquets being used by pros on the ATP tour: 1.) Wilson 6.1 Classic, 2.) Prince Original Graphite,3.) Head Prestige Classic, and 4.) Wilson PS 6.0 95. They just use various paintjobs too make their racquets look different and look like the latest models from their sponsor manufacturers. Of course, there are some exceptions like the Babolat Pure Drive and most Yonex models. Roddick uses a real Pure Drive because there's no other racquet that would enable him to serve at 150mph, and Hewitt uses a real Yonex because you can't cover up a unique head shape with a paintjob.

@wright 03-02-2004 06:46 AM

Don't forget the dunlop tour mold that all dunlop pros use.

Foo4Everlong 03-02-2004 08:13 AM

I'm still curious what version of the Head Radical that Andre is still using. Or whether he is still using some sort of mixture between the original Prince Graphite that he used to use when he began his pro career and the Head Radical. It's kind of funny when you look at the new Liquidmetal racquet that Andre is using, the four points on the frame where the liquidmetal is, the bumpy part, well on Andre's racquet it's not bumpy at all, it's paint or a sticker made to look like it is. And on Andre's frame it actually says "Liquidmetal" written out along the side of the frame. Where on our racquets it doesn't. And the last I. Radical that was used by Andre, the area where the throat was had a shinny finish, but on the racquets that we received from the stores had a very dull finish. You could see the difference during night matches when the light would reflect off of the racket. I would love to look at some of these frames just to see what the differences are. And I'm sure most of the racquets have different string patterns. Later

BreakPoint 03-02-2004 11:42 AM

I spoke to Andre's stringer recently and he said that Andre's Head racquets are completely cutomized. Nothing even close to what you can buy in the store. The head size is unique, it's much heavier at 13.2 oz, even the handle is made of special materials. Needless to say, he is not using anything even remotely close to a LM Radical or even an i.Radical. My guess is that it's much more similar to a POG or a twin-tube original Radical.

irishbanger 03-02-2004 02:41 PM

I talked to a stringer who said that two years ago Andre's racket was the old Yellow and Black Radical Tour that he used in the mid-late 90's---not the twin tube. See my post on Gambill's stick---the paint jobs they do are outstanding!

Kobble 03-02-2004 04:20 PM

I would have to believe the customization of Andre's racquet is true. I remember about a year before he won the French he was testing many new frames. Some had the cross bar like the Ti.Heat, but he eventually settled on something similar to the Radical OS. I bet most of the top 5 and many more use purely unique frames.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive 03-02-2004 04:22 PM

Is the black and yellow radical the trysis 630 or something? Breakpoint, did you mean the 6.0 85? And I wish you were right, but it's just not possible unless you have like 20 versions of each racquet.

moonshine 03-02-2004 06:18 PM

Agassi is using a fully customized LM. A close, personal friend of Agassi (who had just switched to the LM Radicals on Agassi's suggestion) explained to me that this is the first new racquet Agassi has switched to since the original Radical. His head is customized to 660 square cm as well as the other customizations listed above. It is, however, a Liquid Metal racquet - not just a paintjob.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive 03-03-2004 07:37 PM

For some reason Moonshine, I just can't believe that. His doesn't even have the groves where the throat meets the head.

BreakPoint 03-03-2004 10:39 PM

PCMD, in my first post, I did mean the PS 6.0 95. The 6.0 85 has such a small head, you wouldn't be able to hide it with just a paintjob. It would be obvious that the racquet has a much smaller head than any of the new latest modern racquets currently on the market and being introduced. The PS 6.0 95, however, can be made to look like many other racquets with a good paintjob.

moonshine 03-04-2004 04:46 PM

Having not actually been present at his friend's house when Agassi is there, I have not had the opportunity to see the racquet up close. I can only repeat what this friend told me. This friend of his is not affiliated to Head or even tennis (other than being a recreational player) so I can't imagine Agassi selling him on a racquet he wouldn't use. I know the entire racquet is custom, so part of the customization process might eliminate the grooves you are speaking of. I don't know for sure. If Agassi happens to be there one day when I am there (as unlikely as that is), I'll take a close look. My curiosity is piqued because I just took if for granted that he changed based on the information I was told. I'll post it if I find out.

ClemsonTennis9 03-18-2004 09:07 AM

the companies will do anything to make the pro players stay with their company including paintjobs

chad shaver 03-18-2004 09:20 AM

ClemsonTennis9,

Are you at Clemson now? If you are, tell your player from Fort Mill that we at his old high school said hi.

Morpheus 03-20-2004 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshine
If Agassi happens to be there one day when I am there (as unlikely as that is), I'll take a close look.

Assuming Andre brings his rackets with him?

moonshine 03-23-2004 05:44 PM

The reason I am at this person's house is tennis related. He has his own Har-Tru court, and Agassi often stays there. He usually plays a little recreationally while there too. Could happen...doubtful, but could happen.

By the way, Morpheus, I love the random Demotivators you include in each message.

Morpheus 03-23-2004 05:52 PM

Thanks. Say "hi" to Andre for me. I'm a big fan of Steffi.

bsandy 03-28-2004 07:02 PM

I see bumps . . . http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?sl...24&prov=ap