Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Does anyone know whether Federer adds weight to his racket? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=7638)

tennisnoob 06-28-2004 07:36 PM

Does anyone know whether Federer adds weight to his racket?

If so, please share the above information.

Thanks a million.

jings 06-28-2004 07:48 PM

The only visible lead has been in the Y of the throat, but that was on the "T90" and some while back. Nothing there now. I think we are agreed his, and many other Wilson pros, racquets are highly customised, so unlikely you'll see much if any on his frames again.

a verrry large duck 06-28-2004 08:16 PM

Yeah I think federer's stick, probably more than anyone else, is one totally souped-up, customized, and unique stick. He's the main man for Wilson and his stick has got to be completely customized in stiffness level and everything probably. Best way to get an idea is to find any pictures dating back to when he was using the pro staff 85 and see if any lead tape is visible. Before he beat sampras and before he really got good.

mariafreak 06-29-2004 02:00 PM

One word- No. Why would he add wieght to slow down his game a lighter raquet means easier hits and easier to lift.

tetsuo10 06-29-2004 02:46 PM

HUH????? He's not exactly a 90 pound weakling. Most adult males can easily swing a 12+ oz stick.

mariafreak 06-29-2004 04:32 PM

No, but hes not excatcly Arnold either. Neva said that he couldnt, juss said that it would be eisier to swing a lighter racquet, because den he can bring the serve up a notch. Nuttin rong wid a heavier racquet, but using logic, lighter is eisier

Chopin 06-29-2004 05:22 PM

Maria Freak: Pro tennis players-especially men-use very heavy tennis rackets (though there are exceptions), Pete's Sampras's racket was 14 ounces. Agassi's actual racket is about 13 ounces. Rackets with more mass, are more stable and more powerful among many other benefits. Roger Federer's racket is no doubt much heavier than any Wilson racket you can buy over the shelf. Pro players prefer heavier tennis rackets, they're simply painted to look like the one's people can buy to promote sales.

Ray Wong 06-29-2004 06:47 PM

My stringer had a chance to weight Federer's Tour 90 when Fedex come to Hong Kong in January 2004. He told me Fedex's Tour 90 is about 35Xgm, not more than 360gm(12.7oz).

a verrry large duck 06-29-2004 08:23 PM

Awesome ray, thanks for the great info!!

touchytennis 06-29-2004 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Wong
My stringer had a chance to weight Federer's Tour 90 when Fedex come to Hong Kong in January 2004. He told me Fedex's Tour 90 is about 35Xgm, not more than 360gm(12.7oz).

the stringer in tin hau?

Ray Wong 06-30-2004 12:07 AM

Master Gear in Causeway Bay. :)

perfmode 06-30-2004 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariafreak
One word- No. Why would he add wieght to slow down his game a lighter raquet means easier hits and easier to lift.

LOL. That's the noobiest thing I've ever heard.

Kiddo, Sampras played with a 14oz racquet.

mariafreak 06-30-2004 09:09 AM

perfmode, watever, let me clarify. Logically speaking, lighter is easier. Never said that heavy racquets werent bad, or dat dey didnt use dem. It might be good to have a hevier racquet, but not too heavy............

a verrry large duck 06-30-2004 10:27 AM

mariafreak:
perfmode, watever, let me clarify. Logically speaking, lighter is easier. Never said that heavy racquets werent bad, or dat dey didnt use dem. It might be good to have a hevier racquet, but not too heavy............

Well, I think 14oz weights is a little too heavy for optimal play in today's quick game, though sampras did but that's more an exception. I think phillipoussis plays with a 14oz stick too but look at the size of that guy. Most pros I would guess play in the 12.5-13 ounce range. If you ever try to return a big serve with heavy spin using a sub 11oz racquet you will begin to see why a certain amount of mass is needed.

mariafreak 06-30-2004 12:25 PM

Will do.

perfmode 06-30-2004 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariafreak

Logically speaking, heavier is better. If you are playing tennis as a pro, you should be strong. The heavier your racquet, the more stable it is. If you use a fly swatter to hit a 130mph ball, the torque of the ball is going to twist the racquet even if you think you hit it right in the center of your racquet.

mariafreak 07-01-2004 10:57 AM

Who ever said it would be that light?

aceindahole2K5 07-01-2004 03:56 PM

perfmode,
"never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

i debated for a year, the worst are people who just have no clue and ignore points being brought against them