Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   taking bets on Serena-Davenport final (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=7664)

ark4.0 06-29-2004 08:58 AM

taking bets on Serena-Davenport final

Quite possible the way they are playing.

a verrry large duck 06-29-2004 09:10 AM

I think its going to be a 50/50 toss-up between serena and capriati, whoever wins that I think will take out mauresmo most likely and go to the final. With the way davenport disposed of sprem, I see her taking out sharapova, i don't think sharapova can out slug davenport from the baseline. I'd bet on a serena/davenport final too.

Stinkdyr 06-29-2004 09:16 AM

Like it or dont, Serena beats Davenbeast in the finals. yawn.

Aonex 06-29-2004 09:24 AM

As much as I like Davenport (nice lady, and she's from SoCal) I don't think she'll make it the finals. Sharapova can hit right along with her but is a lot more mobile... so I expect her to win in 3. Serena though has a tough couple of matches ahead with JenCap and probably Mauresmo. If she's slacks off and has one of those 60 UE matches, she could get upset. If she's on, you can prety much hand her the trophy.

Justyn Daniell 06-29-2004 11:29 AM

Sharapova beats Capriati in 3...thats what id like to see...but I believe Serena will beat Davenport too

alienhamster 06-29-2004 11:35 AM

"I think its going to be a 50/50 toss-up between serena and capriati, whoever wins that I think will take out mauresmo most likely and go to the final."

But the problem is, Capriati seems to have a mental hang-up against Mesmero. (That was the name of the villain on the old Pac Man cartoon. Anyone remember that?)

If JCap beats Serena, we could very well have a Mesmero/Davenport final. Yikes . . .

Vlad 06-29-2004 11:39 AM

Maria very well could upset Lindsay and Capriati will make it 3 in a row against Serena.
Final will be Jen -- Maria with Jen winning it.

Scotty5 06-29-2004 11:58 AM

OK, I'll weigh in with an opinion:

Qtrs:
Serena v. Jennifer - Serena will win, unless she has 35+ UEs, AND Jenny serves especially well.

Mauresmo v. Suarez - unless Amelie goes on a walkabout, she's in the semis

Semis:
Serena v. Mauresmo - Serena in straights, but maybe a tiebreaker
Jennifer v. Mauresmo - Amelie should be able to get to net often enough to disrupt Jenny's rhythm, whic will likely let down after beating Serena

Lindsay v. Sharapova - Unless Maria collapses under the pressure (see Roland Garros qtrfinal), NBC will be smiling on Saturday. Lindsay can't run down enough balls to force Maria into mistakes. And Maria's serve is stronger than 99% of the players Lindsay spanks.

Finals:
Serena v. Sharapova - The occasion will catch up with Maria, and she won't be able to smack returns against Serena's big serves. Serena's defense will frustrate Sharapova into errors when she can get ahead in the point.

Aonex 06-29-2004 12:12 PM

I'd really like to see a Serena vs. Maria final. They played one another at Miami and had a very close first set. I can just imagine what kind of rallies they'd be having... not to mention how loud it would be on centre court.

Xuan121 06-29-2004 01:59 PM

I would like for it to be an All American Final.

Either Serena vs. Lindsay or Jen. Cap vs. Lindsay...

As long as it aint Maria Sharapova.

mariafreak 06-29-2004 03:52 PM

Xuan121, What do you mean as long as it aint Sharapova? It will be a Williams vs, Sharapova match and Serena will not be able to stand wishing that she was that HOT and will lose.

sambapati 06-29-2004 04:34 PM

There are some pretty good predictions here. I think Mauresmo in the semis is a foregone conclusion, but the other matches are less predictable. I give Serena a slight edge because she`s out for revenge, she beat Capriati here before and her serve is better than Ccapriati`s. And this ain`t clay. That being said, I still want Capriati to win. I see 3 sets. But I wonder:

If Capriati gets past Serena, will she be able to get over her mental block against Mauresmo? (which I never understood anyway). But when Mauresmo is a few games, points or minutes away from a wimbledon final, will she choke??

Many people are picking Sharapova to beat Davenport, but I don`t know. She`s mostly likely going to make Davenport run, but can she keep it up at 5 all or 6-5 close to winning? Tall order for a tall 17 year old. You gotta think nerves are gonna be a factor in this one...

PumpCann 06-29-2004 05:18 PM

I think the match between Serena and Capriati will be the determining factor. I will give Serena the slight advantage on grass, but I am hoping for an excellent 3 set match.

Maria and Lindsay, I love both, Lindsay a great Champion, and in my opinion I still see her only chance to win a Slam, being Wimbledon or the Us Open.

That said, Maria reminds me a lot of Venus. If I am correct Lindsay dominated the head to heads of Venus early on. I feel with Davenports experience and her ability to control the point early with her serving, I will give the slight advantage to Lindsay.

Maria, does have nothing to loose, and if she plays up to her potential, she can upset Lindsay. The winner will be the one who reduces the errors on big points, and remains focused. Maria does have the mobility working for her, but if Davenport stays in the match, she will keep Maria pinned to the baseline.

Serena vs Davenport/Sharapova

a verrry large duck 06-29-2004 07:04 PM

mariafreak:
Xuan121, What do you mean as long as it aint Sharapova? It will be a Williams vs, Sharapova match and Serena will not be able to stand wishing that she was that HOT and will lose.

Yikes, what?! someone didn't want to see sharapova win :)

mariafreak 06-30-2004 07:14 AM

Quote:

Yikes, what?! someone didn't want to see sharapova win

hehe i know its trajic. Maybe if she wins sheel give us all a surprise flash :lol:

ark4.0 06-30-2004 11:06 AM

Any doubters after what Serena did to Capriati.