Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The Unstoppable Fedex! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=7737)

Anonymous 06-30-2004 11:13 AM

The Unstoppable Fedex!

Just beat Lleyton 6-1, 6-7, 6-0, 6-4!!! It would have been straight sets if it hadn't been for the rain! Only disappointing thing is that Fed dropped serve once in the 4th set. Doesn't matter though, he's going to win this title no doubt. Discount that weird second set and it would have been a demolition! Nice job Roger, way to pull it out. THERE IS NO STOPPING ROGER FEDERER.

Defcon 06-30-2004 11:17 AM

Its amazing how he calmly saves break points with aces and winners. Very Sampras like, staying so cool under all the pressure.

Aonex 06-30-2004 11:20 AM

Fed is just awesome. Although I was cheering for Lleyton, this will make a much better final match with Fed v. ARod, with Fed winning in 4.

Anonymous 06-30-2004 11:24 AM

BTW, Fed broke Hewitt 7 times and had a plus 27 winner to error ratio. That's pretty sick, Hewitt was pretty much even in errors to winners. He also hit a serve 130 m.p.h., and Roddick had 44 winners to 43 errors so if he plays like that vs. Federer he'll get his @ss kicked badly in straights. Delete that rain hampered second set and Federer won 6-1, 6-0, 6-4 against Hewitt. How sick is that? Looking poised to win it all! GOOD JOB ROG, KEEP IT UP!!

AceRbn15 06-30-2004 11:29 AM

Federer sucks. Wheres the emotion/excitement watching him play? I was rooting for Hewitt the whole match. Someone with athleticism and passion. In the finals, if does come down to A-rod vs. Federer, i really hope Roddick wins.

yee 06-30-2004 11:52 AM

Exactly what sort of emotion do you want him to show may I ask? Screaming come on all the time? He had done that plenty of times except he just didn't scream it right on to the opponents face.

At least he shows his class not screaming out loud after winning when Hewitt actually double faulted at the match point. I'm sure if it had been a winner from him, he would have sreaming out loud just like he did in his previous win against Karlovic.

No passion? How does anybody without passion keep playing tennis at a high level and keep winning? Talent is not just all it takes to win.

No excitiement? Do you really watch the way he makes his shots out there?

AAAA 06-30-2004 11:59 AM

Federer wasn't even playing that well. The two rain delays made him temporarily loose his edge for parts of the match. At times he was just rolling in the forehands and backhands mid court and missing other shots uncharacteristically.

Federer plays from the heart that's why he hits so many extraordinary shots. He makes up totally new shots mid-rally.

Other players evolve their games during practice, Federer can do it live during a match.

Don Felder 06-30-2004 11:59 AM

The scariest part is that Hewitt looked damn good and he still had to play perfect points to win them against Fed... I just don't see Roger losing... I'm also gonna go out on a limb here and call Ancic as the upset victor over Andy for fun. Regardless of what happens, I don't see Fed failing to defend his title this year.

calculus 06-30-2004 12:00 PM

AceRbn15, I respect your passion for Hewitt. But saying "Federer sucks" just went too far. I believe we have lot of tennis fans on this board who can appreciate the beauty of Federer's game and his court manner. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that you are one of them.

I want to remind you that it's now becoming a pattern that Hewitt got bageled everytime he played Federer. This has happened 3 times in a row this year (Aus Open, Hamburg, Wimbledon ). Hewitt just doesn't have anything to hurt Federer. Feisty , rain-delay and "come-on" shouting won't help me a bit when he faces the complete package from Fedex.

rokkefella 06-30-2004 12:06 PM

AceRbn15, in order to know why Fed does not show alot of emotion, you really have to understand his culture. Being Swiss myself, I can tell you that it is considered rude and 'in-your-face' to always pump your fist and scream on the court.

I actually really enjoy someone winning AND losing with class rather than always looking for an excuse. One of the best traits of Federer, besides his game, is that he also rarely argues calls, even when they are clearly wrong. It's a big reason Europeans dislike Roddick.

nyu 06-30-2004 12:12 PM

Federer used to be a nutcase on the court, both emotionally and mentally. He's said many times in interviews that he used to break racquets and throw fits as a junior. He said he started to hold back his emotion in matches, and actually overdid it and lost some passion. He now seems to have found his happy medium, and it will take a monster effort by any of the other 3 remaining players to have even a small chance of dethroning Fed.

Defcon 06-30-2004 12:13 PM

Hewitt is universally disliked by almost everyone for his rudeness, in your face attitude, surlish behaviour and generally being a jerk.
He is also universally admired for being a fighter who never gives up, and I think part of his spirit comes from his me-against-the-world mentality.

Federer is calm, cool, a genius on court. He doesn't need to shout and scream, his racket does the talking. In fact he's said that till a few years ago, he used to be *too* calm and couldn't find the fire within. Nowdays, you will find him cheering and even shouting come-on's (in English!) after crucial points. I don't see how anyone can say watching him play is not exciting.

mileslong 06-30-2004 01:00 PM

Quote:

Someone with athleticism and passion.
worst comment ever? quite possibly, how someone can say that fed isnt athletic is beyond any reasoned response because you obviously just dont get it. how anyone can cheer for that rude little punk hewitt is really beyond me...

LX HONDA CIVIC 06-30-2004 02:10 PM

i think fed and roddick will meet in the finals and i see fed winning in 5

obackvalobasha 06-30-2004 02:55 PM

FED Vs super mario!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then mario gonna beat fed because fed is gonna get a cramp in the middle of the match :lol: :twisted:

kupo 06-30-2004 03:49 PM

both hewitt and federer are great to watch imo, they're opposites in personality almost, but neither are bad. I hope for a roddick federer final, and either of them winning will satisfy me, because they deserve it. I'm not sure how andy will fair though, when his 140mph serves start coming back for winners..? heheheh

Coda 06-30-2004 10:46 PM

federer will win in straight sets to defend his title...what a smackdown he handed out today

JohnThomas1 07-01-2004 02:24 AM

Ok first things first. Congrats to Federer, he is the best player in the world and in sensational form to boot. Hewitt played a great match, but was still not good enough. Federer is perhaps in a class of his own right now, the next few months will prolly prove that. He has the most complete game around, and i am surehis weaponry will rate very high historically when all has been said and done.

Now second. Let's give opponents the credit they deserve. Hewitt gave Federer by far his best match of the tournament, anyone who argues otherwise is blind. Tho hard to believe for some, HEWITT WON A SET!!!!! Fed wasn't the only one that had to put up with rain delays. Mastering the intangibles is part of being a great player. He also broke his serve. No amount of excuses or gripes can change this fact. No ifs and buts can change the fact that it wasn't a one sided romp. Let's remember Hewitt also had two break points that would have enabled him to at least serve for the fourth set. He was not thrashed, he put up a great show against a better opponent. The channel i watch called it the best calibre tennis yet played at the championships. Kudo's to them.

Anyway i've had my gripe now so carry on :)

AndyC 07-01-2004 02:42 AM

I'm sure Hewitt is comforted by the fact he won a set :). As for the rain, Federer did deal with it and well. After the second set tiebreak where he got rolled and the forehand appeared to be misfiring (remember the match v Costa when Fed won the first set and then lost the next two after his forehand started to misfire) I had serious misgivings (also remembering back to the DC match where Hewitt won in 5). However to give Fed his due he rallied.. got his forehand back to working order and then preceeded to thrash Hewitt. 6-0 in the third.. n as soon as there was danger after being broken in the fourth he again stepped up a gear. End of the day whenever there was potentially a problem Fed just took it up another level. Hewitt NEVER had a realistic chance today.

JohnThomas1 07-01-2004 05:04 AM

Hewitt took the loss well actually. He's improved a lot as a sportsman, he used to be pitiful. Last time Fed beat him he said he was happy with the way he played and Fed was simply too good. I'm sure he has said the same this time too. Hewitt MAY have been closer to having a chance than you think too. I'm sure millions thought he had no chance at 2 sets to love down and Fed serving at 5-3 in the davis cup too. Federer was unstoppable. To see Hewitt thrash him in the 5th set was something out of the ordinary. One of the finest comebacks in history.