Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Federer takes Nadal to 5 sets on Nadal's surface. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=78258)

shawn1122 05-14-2006 01:52 PM

Federer takes Nadal to 5 sets on Nadal's surface.

If any of you Nadal fan's think Nadal can do the same to Fed on grass, then you are on drugs. And this is the reason why Federer is still much better than Nadal overall.

oscar_2424 05-14-2006 05:52 PM

but he still loses to NAdal

LowProfile 05-14-2006 05:56 PM

When Nadal takes Fed to a third set tiebreak at one of those grass warm up tournaments, I'll be amazed. As it stands, I really expected nothing less of Federer today. We expect for from Federer because he's a far more complete player than Nadal is at this point.

ACE of Hearts 05-14-2006 06:04 PM

I was really upset with this match but i feel better now, seriously does anyone care for the rome masters, its all about the french open kid.If Roger wins the FO, it wont matter that Nadal beat him in Monte Carlo and Rome, the FO is the biggest prize, Fed knows that as well as Nadal.

shawn1122 05-14-2006 06:36 PM

I'm just happy that now it seems feasible for Federer to beat Nadal on clay. Before this, when he used to lose to him in 4 sets, it didnt seem possible at all.

I still feel bad that he didn't pull this one of though, cause I was really expecting him to come through, especially when he had two matchpoints.

tnig469 05-14-2006 06:42 PM

.....u know nadal is only 19 right?...still has time to go...federer is a GREAT player...with more experience...maybe that could be it? u think...how was federer lets say when he was 19?...wonder?...they r both GREAT players..they r FRIENDS...everyone needs to show respect to both sides...

serve/and/volley 05-14-2006 07:29 PM

Beauty and the Beast

How old was Michael Chang when he won the French? What has he won since? Nadal is a super-sized version of Chang. Any of you who thinks Nadal is a better tennis player than Federer clearly do not know tennis fundamentals and do not know how to play tennis. Nadal's form and technique is atrocious. He gets away with it because of his superhuman athleticism. Federer's technique, form, and playing style is conducive to a long successful career. Nadal's physically taxing style of play will not last long. Look at the past French Open champions of the past 20 years. Few have repeated and most do not win any other slam. The ones since the 70's that are successful in the French and the other Grand Slams are those players with sound technique and playing styles: Borg, Lendl, Wilander, Courier, and Agassi. What other slams have these following FO champions won?: Gaudio, Ferrero, Costa, Kuerten, Moya, Muster, Bruguera, Gomez, Chang, Noah, etc. Nadal is a grinder. The best there is. He lacks the all-court game of Agassi, Courier, Wilander, Lendl, and Borg. Nadal is just the epitome of what the modern tennis game has become, and it is a problem because it encourages youngsters to play with these gigantic Babolat racquets without any sound technique. Federer represents a rejuvenation of old-school technique with modern power. It takes a while to perfect this hybrid of grace and power. The modern game is all about power, and it is ugly. Nadal is a great athlete, but as a tennis player he still has a long ways to go, no matter how many clay-court tournaments he wins.

quest01 05-14-2006 07:47 PM

Federer played the best he has every played in his life and still lost against Nadal.

The Ripper 05-14-2006 07:54 PM

I thought Federer did great, and only lost by the smallest margin. What's amazing though is that he has made huge improvements on clay just over the last few months. He has gone from getting knocked out in the quarterfinals, to two finals in a row! And he did come soooo close to winning today. I think one must remember he has changed his game and strategy; under pressure these new strategies can fall apart because they are certainly not as engrained as the way he has been playing over the last several years. I bet Fed is extremely pleased to have made two finals: lost in 4 in Monte Carlo, almost won in 5 in Rome. I'm betting he may finally have Nadal's number by the time the French rolls around - and even if he doesn't, he will have the experience he needed to win it next year. And, as an added bonus, having almost conquered Nadal on his best surface, Federer will certainly feel much more confident against Nadal on Federer's best surfaces!! I really like Nadal, and I think he's a great athlete and a good guy. But I really want to see Federer get the Grand Slam. He's earned it!

Fatmike 05-15-2006 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest01
Federer played the best he has every played in his life and still lost against Nadal.

Fed won most games overall then Nadal yesterday

7+6+4+6+6= 29 for Fed

6+7+6+2+7 = 28 for Nadal

superman1 05-15-2006 04:58 AM

He lost by hitting a tennis ball a couple inches wide. Let's get some perspective here. "Federer played his best but still cannot beat the champion." This is just two dudes hitting a ball back and forth on a tennis court. This isn't a sword duel. When you've got a score like that, it doesn't really matter who wins, neither player is better than the other. It's just luck or fate or whatever you want to call it that tips the scale for one of the guy. Nadal is a blessed man.

chess9 05-15-2006 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnig469
.....u know nadal is only 19 right?...still has time to go...federer is a GREAT player...with more experience...maybe that could be it? u think...how was federer lets say when he was 19?...wonder?...they r both GREAT players..they r FRIENDS...everyone needs to show respect to both sides...

RAFA's age and playing style could be his undoing. He has already had some minor injuries, so if he makes it to 25 I will be very happy for him. Name one player who was Number 1 (or Number 2?) at age 18 or younger and was still playing at 25. Maureen Connolly gets a pass because she was injured in a horse riding accident, but she might have made it despite having won her first major at the tender age of 16. But, most of those folks who came close were pre-MODERN TENNIS (I hate that term.). With these extreme grips and rigorous schedules, who can last? Federer is really a cross-over player with his style, plus he wasn't exactly at the top at 18. :)

-Robert

Taram_Nifas 05-15-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn1122
If any of you Nadal fan's think Nadal can do the same to Fed on grass, then you are on drugs. And this is the reason why Federer is still much better than Nadal overall.

Kinda Ironic that a Federer Defeat Proves that he is a "better" Tennis Player. I think this is mostly true if you throw in all the other Slams, but this is a little unfair to Nadal.

Clay goes to Nadal, Grass goes to Federer easily, but let's see if Nadal can challenge on hardcourt assuming he can get to a final against Federer.

Simon Cowell 05-15-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn1122

5-1.

ACE of Hearts 05-15-2006 11:56 AM

3-0 on clay ouf of the 5 wins, Nadal's best surface, lets be realistic here, Nadal right now is on top of everyone when it comes to clay but soon u Nadal fans will be crying.

croatian sensation 05-15-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscar_2424
but he still loses to NAdal

Ditto :-)

Haha I love this..it was always "He took Fed to 3 sets" (Ljubicic or any other player that got a set from Fed in a regular tourney, not masters or gs) like wow that was an acomplishment.

And now Fed gets the "but he took Nadal to 5" :mrgreen: True. A great success for Fed.

tonsorial 05-15-2006 12:26 PM

its just luck which has driven nadal to victory in that last tiebreaker..else his streak might have fallen for once

habib 05-15-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest01

Federer's Wimbledon 05 final form would like to have a word with you.

welcome2petrkordaland 05-16-2006 07:29 PM

"We expect more from Federer b/c he's a far more complete player (than Nadal) at this point."

funny thing is i don't think nadal's worried about how complete a player he is. he's only 19, he goes out with one thing in mind: to win, and win he does. just to remind he's 5 for 6 against the world number 1. that's battin' .833, 83%-not bad against the world #1.

i'm neither a federer fan nor a nadal aficionado, but federer hit two atrocious forehands in that 5th set breaker. let's call it for what it was. federer choked big time. he had it, tightened up, and choked. he should've won.

it reminded me of agassi's loss to sampras in the '95 us open final-potentially traumatic for roger, although roger's more mentally stable than andre was.

tlm 05-16-2006 08:19 PM

The excuses just go on+on,some of this crap is unreal.Nadals game is terrible,what in the hell are you talking about serve+volley.Yea it looks like his game sucks,wake up to the times s+v is dead.

Funny how there is always talk about nadal getting injured,he is a real athlete,not some scrawny wimp.I think a lot of fed fans are just hoping he does,that might be there only hope.

The kid showed how a champion plays,never gave up even when it looked like he was done.Now fed he was the one that looked like he was 19.

Big time tennis god ,best of all time my ***.He choked with a capital C,this is were a real champion comes through.He had that match numerous time+could not come through,he crumbled under the pressure.

Not nadal he came through like a real champion does,he got 1 match point+ match is over.