Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nice gesture by Roger Federer in Hamburg (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=78508)

simi 05-16-2006 04:42 AM

Nice gesture by Roger Federer in Hamburg

Was getting ready for work and had The Tennis Channel on in the background. They just showed an excerpt of Roger Federer, with the tournament director, on center court in Hamburg explaining to the crowd why he withdrew from the tournament.

He spoke in German and there was not a translation, but the TTC commentator said that Roger said that he had a very exhausting semi-final and final in Roma and that he wasn't able to compete at the level he wanted. A class act by one of our sport's ambassadors.

croatian sensation 05-16-2006 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simi
Was getting ready for work and had The Tennis Channel on in the background. They just showed an excerpt of Roger Federer, with the tournament director, on center court in Hamburg explaining to the crowd why he withdrew from the tournament.

He spoke in German and there was not a translation, but the TTC commentator said that Roger said that he had a very exhausting semi-final and final in Roma and that he wasn't able to compete at the level he wanted. A class act by one of our sport's ambassadors.

Same thing Nadal did a year ago in Umag...he wasn't able to play cause of his knee.. came to Umag, explained to people why he can't play, and stayed the whole day, watching even one of Moya's matches.

Buuurnz 05-16-2006 04:51 AM

great guy this roger federer isnt he?:)

zhuk 05-16-2006 04:54 AM

Agassi did it.

:-|

Go Ivan!

byealmeens 05-16-2006 05:12 AM

Federer is a class act. Always will be.... And yes, it is great to see that Nadal is as well, especially for someone as young as he is.

diegaa 05-16-2006 05:17 AM

Well, i dont believe that acting like that can be considered as a "class act". Many top players get extra $$ for playing the tourneys, no matter the outcome of his matches. If any player in this position dont do that, his benefits gonna be lower.. And dont say those player dont need the extra $$, i know they dont: thats their job.

Rob_C 05-16-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diegaa
Well, i dont believe that acting like that can be considered as a "class act". Many top players get extra $$ for playing the tourneys, no matter the outcome of his matches. If any player in this position dont do that, his benefits gonna be lower.. And dont say those player dont need the extra $$, i know they dont: thats their job.

The ATP doesnt allow guarantees for the TMS or the Grand Slams.

prince 05-16-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diegaa

if i remember right - a class act woud be like pat rafter - he (if im not mistaken) would return the $$$ money they give the top players, if he did not play well in a tournament .

LowProfile 05-16-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince
if i remember right - a class act woud be like pat rafter - he (if im not mistaken) would return the $$$ money they give the top players, if he did not play well in a tournament .

Rafter was indeed a class act. But I only think he did that once when he played so horribly bad (almost got double bageled) or something that he felt compeled to return his appearance fees.

serchflores 05-16-2006 06:31 PM

Roger, u r the man!!!

diegaa 05-16-2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob_C
The ATP doesnt allow guarantees for the TMS or the Grand Slams.

I didnt know that. But still I dont consider that act as a non-interested one. I can think many more reasons and none of them is altruistic. IMO, itīs just the right thing to do.

vive le beau jeu ! 05-17-2006 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowProfile
Rafter was indeed a class act. But I only think he did that once when he played so horribly bad (almost got double bageled) or something that he felt compeled to return his appearance fees.

he (at least) did that when he lost to clement in the 1st round at lyon in 1997.
(i need to check the info but i think gasquet also did it in marseille this year... after losing to... clement !)

that's very nice of them... although being a kind of (a bit) "humiliating" for their opponent ! :rolleyes:

wyutani 05-17-2006 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vive le beau jeu !
he (at least) did that when he lost to clement in the 1st round at lyon in 1997.
(i need to check the info but i think gasquet also did it in marseille this year... after losing to... clement !)

that's very nice of them... although being a kind of (a bit) "humiliating" for their opponent ! :rolleyes:

is that a hippo?

vive le beau jeu ! 05-17-2006 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyutani
is that a hippo?

yes it is !
... having a relaxing bath ;)

urban 05-17-2006 02:09 AM

Now, is it really so nice? The public has to be disappointed, when the top player - without apparent injury - steps out of the tournament, even if he gives a nice speech. What do you make with Coria, who also had a long, even longer exhausting Rome final last year, and played at Hamburg, losing to Federer there. He took the risk to be beaten.

pound cat 05-17-2006 05:01 AM

A really classy thing for Federer to do would be for once say these words "He played better than I did to-day, that's why I lost"

Instead of

1) Uncle Toni was coaching during the match (loss to Nadal Rome))

2) I had a blister (sf loss to Safin AO 05) in an interview 4 months after the match. I thinik he did say something about Safin playing well at the post-match interview, but then later changed his mind about how it really happened.

shawn1122 05-17-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pound cat
A really classy thing for Federer to do would be for once say these words "He played better than I did to-day, that's why I lost"

Instead of

2) I had a blister (sf loss to Safin AO 05) in an interview 4 months after the match. I thinik he did say something about Safin playing well at the post-match interview, but then later changed his mind about how it really happened.

I think Federer has gotten sick of saying Nadal played well and Nadal has gotten sick of saying Federer has played well.

zhuk 05-17-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Instead of

Yessah, yessah. Fed just learned how to play the "nicy-nice" game.
Most of it is just for show. :mad:

Tennis_Goodness 05-17-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Instead of

They were talking about Federer's blisters and foot problem before the Safin match even started lmao!

pound cat 05-18-2006 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis_Goodness
They were talking about Federer's blisters and foot problem before the Safin match even started lmao!

Not in the ESPN broadcast I watched of the AO semi