Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   different thoughts about rome's final (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=78612)

yo_3133 05-16-2006 05:03 PM

different thoughts about rome's final

hey
i just got sick of reading all these threads made by nadal fans about nadal is better than federer, or federer fan excuses for fed's loss, so i decided to write my own opinion which may hurt some people(nadal fans) but i think it's true.
we all know nadal's best surface is clay and i think after sunday's final , he may and i think he will set a new record for most straight wins on clay, but i really think nadal should be worried instead of happy. Federer, playing in clay, was just 2 forehands from beating him in his best surface, where supposedly nadal should dominate him. Many people may say nadal was not playing his best tennis, but fed wasnt either. If you have seen fed play in the middle and end of 2004 and the beggining of 2005, you know he can play better than this. I think what was clear is that fed has got what it takes to beat nadal on clay and i have a feeling that if they mett in roland garros' fianl it would be fed the one who will walk out with the win. If you think it carefully, and we make the comparison of each one's best surface:
- nadal doesnt have a chance of beating fed in grass
- fed has made it clear with sunday's game that he CAN beat nadal in clay
So i'm pretty sure that next year's clay season will be different
your thoughts??

dudero 05-16-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo_3133

how does horribly choking makes it clear he can beat nadal on clay?

shawn1122 05-16-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudero

It means that next time, if he doesnt choke, he'll win for sure. And, btw, I don't see Federer choking against the same player twice in a row.

jackson vile 05-16-2006 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn1122
It means that next time, if he doesnt choke, he'll win for sure. And, btw, I don't see Federer choking against the same player twice in a row.

That is interesting as I thought we did see Fed choking ever?

Looks like things are chang'n around here eh?:mrgreen:

fastdunn 05-16-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

hey
i just got sick of reading all these threads made by nadal fans about nadal is better than federer, or federer fan excuses for fed's loss, so i decided to write my own opinion which may hurt some people(nadal fans) but i think it's true.
we all know nadal's best surface is clay and i think after sunday's final , he may and i think he will set a new record for most straight wins on clay, but i really think nadal should be worried instead of happy. Federer, playing in clay, was just 2 forehands from beating him in his best surface, where supposedly nadal should dominate him. Many people may say nadal was not playing his best tennis, but fed wasnt either. If you have seen fed play in the middle and end of 2004 and the beggining of 2005, you know he can play better than this. I think what was clear is that fed has got what it takes to beat nadal on clay and i have a feeling that if they mett in roland garros' fianl it would be fed the one who will walk out with the win. If you think it carefully, and we make the comparison of each one's best surface:
your thoughts??

I agree it puts some concerns on Nadal's mind.
But I think it's still a close call if they meet again on FO final.

The thing is that it's very hard to beat a player 3-4 straight times
especially a caliber of federer.

You have to hide real stuff until critical moment. If I were Nadal,
I would have tanked Rome final letting federer win.
And show real stuff in french Open. But the vilas record was
on the line, unfortunately.

Sampras used to do that well. He did not use some of his shots
until he faces real critical moments. He did not let palyers get used
to some of his shots keeping every body confused "where the hell
this come from?" in critical monents in gland slams. He would tank some
non-gland slam tournaments.

Federer now done with all the homework. I think he maximized
his chances against Nadal on clay. But you know it's still a close
call. Nadal surely has some real stuff that neutralizes Federer's
power but it would be interesting to see how Nadal handles this
enormous pressure Federer is putting systematically over last
month or two ...

HollerOne5 05-16-2006 06:36 PM

Quote:

hey
your thoughts??

Shoulda woulda coulda.....if Federer made it clear that he CAN beat Nadal on clay Sunday, wouldn't that only be confirmed if Federer actually BEAT Nadal on Sunday....Yes, he is closer and closer supposedly everytime, but even after the Monte Carlo final, everyone was like, Federer proved he can beat Nadal on clay, it was so close to going to a 5th set, blah blah blah. If Federer can beat Nadal on clay, then he should do it and stop *****footing around...I'm sick of reading this crap.

Tennis_Goodness 05-16-2006 06:53 PM

It's obvious Federer can beat Nadal on clay. The people who think Federer cannot beat Nadal on clay cannot be taken seriously. It was a close match that Federer should have won.

I don't see how any Nadal fan will not be worried when Federer plays Nadal on clay again.

superman1 05-16-2006 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollerOne5
Shoulda woulda coulda.....if Federer made it clear that he CAN beat Nadal on clay Sunday, wouldn't that only be confirmed if Federer actually BEAT Nadal on Sunday....

Anyone can beat anyone on any given day. Federer came closer to beating Nadal on clay than anyone else in the last few years. Of course he CAN beat Nadal, he can beat anyone. And you do realize that all he had to do to win the match was make one shot, don't you? You can say "5-1, wow, Nadal dominates Federer," or you can be a little smarter and watch and enjoy the match.

armand 05-16-2006 08:22 PM

Court speed

It was said that Roma has the fastest clay courts so that would be more in Federers favour(as far as clay is concerned). It was also said that Monte Carlo was the slowest so that should favour Nadal more yet Federer didn't lose all that badly there either. So it's pretty close anyhow.

Roland Garros is supposedly the 2nd fastest however, there are many, many other factors to take into account so whomever wins wouldn't surprise me either way. Only thing I wish for is that it's competitive and goes to 13-11 in the 5th set. Wooo!

Tennis_Goodness 05-16-2006 08:29 PM

The clay at Rome and the french open is not going to be all that different. Rome was a pretty good indication of what cold happend at the French Open. Federer has a good chance to win it! It's going to be exciting!

baseliner 05-17-2006 06:49 AM

I don't see Nadal worried against anyone on clay! Looking forward to RG except that we must depend on ESPN for coverage.

Grimjack 05-17-2006 09:34 AM

Federer appears poised, now, to overtake the guy who is clay's most dominant force, on his own turf.

But even if he doesn't, so what?

The fact that one guy can be the world's best on every surface but one -- clay, which plays so much differently than the others that it's practically a whole 'nother sport -- and can be second best on that surface, is mind-boggling.

That Fed is now neck and neck for the title "best clay courter alive," just goes to show how thoroughly he's *****-slapping Nadal at the sport of tennis as a whole.

Moose Malloy 05-17-2006 09:38 AM

Quote:

Federer appears poised, now, to overtake the guy who is clay's most dominant force, on his own turf.

But even if he doesn't, so what?

The fact that one guy can be the world's best on every surface but one -- clay, which plays so much differently than the others that it's practically a whole 'nother sport -- and can be second best on that surface, is mind-boggling.

That Fed is now neck and neck for the title "best clay courter alive," just goes to show how thoroughly he's *****-slapping Nadal at the sport of tennis as a whole.
You realize that you've posted this exact post (or a variation of it) in every single Nadal-Federer thread for the past month or so?

We get it, Nadal sucks(& is possibly on roids), Federer rules. And that you are unbiased to either player.

We heard you the first time.

lucky leprechaun 05-17-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimjack

Well I like nadal too, didn't need to throw in the *****slapping. :mrgreen: But amen people need to get the big picture that is federer. The dude's like a 7 foot tall center almost out-maneuvering a stellar point guard. The ball was just sitting laying on the rim, camera flashes going off, then last second falling out, like a golf ball quivering on the edge for 2 seconds and deciding not to fall.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive 05-19-2006 07:27 PM

I would have to agree with the fact that instead of calling Federer "incompetent, worse than Nadal, or becoming mentally fragile," we should all be amazed by the fact that he has in this year won a grand slam, 2 hard court masters, and made the finals on two clay court masters.

No one can say the same about Nadal (ya he didn't get to play the Aus, I know), who is still essentially a one surface wonder (although his hardcourt game is easily top 5).

Ya I know that Nadal beat Fed 2 out of 3 times on hard, and the third was so close it's ridiculous, but Fed has established him as the second best clay courter in the world under the radar, and no one acknowledges that.

I really don't understand how Nadal will be #1 in the world soon if he has to win every clay tourner (cause Fed will always be on his tail in those), and then find a way to make every hard court final to keep up with Fed (who wins every hard tourney he plays), and somehow make up for the Wimbledon defecit.......

And denying the fact that Fed almost beat Nadal on clay like he did, claiming it wasn't close or that he can't beat anyone on a given day, blah blah, is bs. He SHOULD HAVE beaten Nadal on an even day on Nadal's favorite surface, and he's almost done it twice this year already.

And Grimjack, I love you post, seriously.

Rataplan 05-20-2006 12:31 AM

I think that we can all agree that this match was close.

Just like David Nalbandian has what it takes to beat Federer and Almagro's confidence has to be growing as well and who knows what else will happen.

Just to say that it's not a given that either Federer or Nadal will reach the final because they are both beatable by a good player having a good day.

superman1 05-20-2006 12:34 AM

Too much debate...

Federer should have won the match, the audience thought he had the match won and gave him a congratulatory applause, he ended up losing, let's leave it at that. Overanalyzing never did any good for anyone. Did he choke? Yes. Is he a choker? No.

federerforever 05-20-2006 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureCarlosMoyaDrive
I would have to agree with the fact that instead of calling Federer "incompetent, worse than Nadal, or becoming mentally fragile," we should all be amazed by the fact that he has in this year won a grand slam, 2 hard court masters, and made the finals on two clay court masters.

No one can say the same about Nadal (ya he didn't get to play the Aus, I know), who is still essentially a one surface wonder (although his hardcourt game is easily top 5).

Ya I know that Nadal beat Fed 2 out of 3 times on hard, and the third was so close it's ridiculous, but Fed has established him as the second best clay courter in the world under the radar, and no one acknowledges that.

I really don't understand how Nadal will be #1 in the world soon if he has to win every clay tourner (cause Fed will always be on his tail in those), and then find a way to make every hard court final to keep up with Fed (who wins every hard tourney he plays), and somehow make up for the Wimbledon defecit.......

And denying the fact that Fed almost beat Nadal on clay like he did, claiming it wasn't close or that he can't beat anyone on a given day, blah blah, is bs. He SHOULD HAVE beaten Nadal on an even day on Nadal's favorite surface, and he's almost done it twice this year already.

And Grimjack, I love you post, seriously.

Everything you said is extremely biased. You are obviously a hard core Fed fan and hate Nadal. Remember that Nadal is still only 19 years old and has beaten Federer 4 times in a row when Federer is at his prime. I agree at the end of this year he won't be ranked number one but in two or three years Nadal will be at his prime and he will definitely by ranked number one then. Let's just sit back and enjoy this historic moment in tennis history when perhaps two of the greatest tennis players have collided for an amazing rivarly.

Lleyton Hewitt 05-20-2006 07:52 AM

This is always the excuse from federer fans when he loses: he didnt play his best......i hate that excuse any1 agree? everytime he loses v nadal its that excuse. your not going to play your best if ur up againsst nadal on clay

tennis_nerd22 05-20-2006 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudero

well duh, he just had to buckle down and not get anxious or edgey on match points :)