Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Most efficient service motions (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=79015)

jamauss 05-19-2006 12:45 PM

Most efficient service motions

In your opinion, which players have/had the most efficient service motions? Here's some I've come up with:

1. Federer
2. Ljubicic
3. Ivanisevic
4. Roddick?

Polaris 05-19-2006 12:49 PM

Among those four, I like Federer's and Ivanisevic's.

But I also like Safin's. He can deliver a bomb in a rather casual way.

Serve_n_volley 05-19-2006 12:53 PM

I think technically, Federer has the most effiecient serve motion because he is so relaxed and really just lets his racquet drop, but i like roddick's mation a lot more, and I think it's simple, yet explosive.

Andres 05-19-2006 12:54 PM

Ivanisevic. Total weight transfer into the shot, and yet, so relaxed and smooth. Such a skinny guy, and he can blew a bomb whenever he wanted.

Simply marvelous :)

Dan007 05-19-2006 12:56 PM

*Roddick's-explosive, super fast
*Federer's very good placement
*Safin's he can bomb some serves also

jamauss 05-19-2006 12:56 PM

I agree - Safin has a pretty good serve - but it seems like he really has to arch his back.

!Tym 05-19-2006 01:04 PM

NO ONE comes close to Bruguera in this category...too bad his serve was at best average.

He basically just tossed the ball up, took almost no backswing or knee bend, kind of just put his racket up and basically snapped his wrist.

If you're talking about an efficient serve that required very little effort, but that was actually effective, look no further than Michael Stich.

There is NO comparison to anyone else who also had an effective serve. Among devastating serves, Stich basically expended NO energy whatsoever on it, was like silk, VERY relaxed, almost as if he had no tension in his body whatsoever and his entire body was a single, loose, gummy, pliable, and flexible limb all moving in perfect sync and harmony...of course, give this same motion to a short guy like Chang and it'd suck. Stich's height and shoulder flexibility definitely allowed this service motion to be much more effective than it normally would for most more normally sized players.

Lindros13 05-19-2006 01:13 PM

Fed is so relaxed in his serve.

LordRaceR 05-19-2006 01:18 PM

Roddick, Federer, Safin, Scud

WayneCM 05-19-2006 01:20 PM

Roddick, karlovic(Mr ace), Safin and Coria:mrgreen:

dmastous 05-19-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris
Among those four, I like Federer's and Ivanisevic's.

But I also like Safin's. He can deliver a bomb in a rather casual way.

If you like Ivanisevic's than you must like Lubicic's as well since they are very simialar motions.
I always liked Mark Woodford's motion. If you are talking about easy motions I would say he and Mecir's were the most casual, easy motions I've seen.
Federer's is as casual as you can get while still putting effort into the serve.

LeftyServe 05-19-2006 01:28 PM

How about Gonzalez? Compact, powerful, no wasted movement.

HellBunni 05-19-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneCM
Roddick, karlovic(Mr ace), Safin and Coria:mrgreen:

Coria????

hoosierbr 05-19-2006 02:05 PM

Richard Krajicek has a very smooth motion. Of course it helps that he's very tall and powerful, like Karlovic.

Polaris 05-19-2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmastous
If you like Ivanisevic's than you must like Lubicic's as well since they are very simialar motions.

If I recall correctly, Ivanisevic didn't have as much ceremony in the beginning as Ljubicic does. Besides, Goran is left-handed and that just adds a dollop of beauty for a reason I haven't been able to figure out. I mean, a left-handed cricketer with a decent style looks rather graceful without even trying to be. Something similar holds for Goran, and also for Mark Woodforde. It is hard for a left-hander to appear ugly (to my biased asthetic sense, even though I am right-handed), but Nadal sometimes manages that with his extreme grips, grunts and curious attire. ;) .

But yes, Ljub's serve is awesome as well and so is Stich's, as Tym pointed out. No comments about Bruguera though.:mrgreen:

dmastous 05-19-2006 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris
If I recall correctly, Ivanisevic didn't have as much ceremony in the beginning as Ljubicic does. Besides, Goran is left-handed and that just adds a dollop of beauty for a reason I haven't been able to figure out. I mean, a left-handed cricketer with a decent style looks rather graceful without even trying to be. Something similar holds for Goran, and indeed for Woodforde. It is hard for a left-hander to appear ugly (to my biased asthetic sense, even though I am right-handed), but Nadal sometimes manages that with his extreme grips, grunts and curious attire.

Lubicic is an acknowleged fan of Ivanisovic. He uses essentially the same set-up and rocks back the same way. He doesn't quick serve like Ivo. His is more classical, but he does hit it earlier than many.
Maybe Nadal grunts because he's not a natural lefty. He was convinced to play left-handed to get a spin advantage.

unjugon 05-19-2006 02:14 PM

I always thought Hewitt´s serve was pretty fast, while he didn´t seem to put much effort into it. Particularly his first serve.

WayneCM 05-19-2006 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellBunni
Coria????

was a joke hombre thus the :mrgreen:

Simon Cowell 05-19-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyServe
How about Gonzalez? Compact, powerful, no wasted movement.

Agreed. I like Gonzalez's serve. No fancy crap, and it gets the job done.

Bogie 05-19-2006 02:41 PM

most efficient currently? nadal for sure, hes often in the 80's first serve percentage, and he actually gets very good placement and its difficult to handle a lefty serve like his

most powerful? probably still roddick

biggest/best? karlovic