Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   who needs a coach? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=7903)

david aames 07-02-2004 08:38 AM

who needs a coach?

I was wondering whether someone knew who Federer is practicing with? Must be a strange situation for him since it is usually part of the coach's assignement to find partners...

More specifically, who do you think could do without a coach in the top 10 at the moment? No question a coach is needed to crack the top 10 but is it essential to have one if you want to stay up there?

AAAA 07-02-2004 09:06 AM

Any other player with less ability than Federer will need a coach imo but Federer seemingly doesn't need one.

Federer is better than people realise and imo he hasn't yet reached his peak.

Nadal2 07-02-2004 10:14 AM

Well, more than how good you are, it's how smart you are. How well you can adjust to things and if you can notice things without someone pointing them out to you.

david aames 07-02-2004 11:00 AM

One of those coincidences... There is a feature on Federer fitness training in the new Tennis Mag. He has a fitness trainer travelling with him and a physiotherapist at home in Basel.

@wright 07-02-2004 11:15 AM

I can't even see Federer doing any weight training, look how this he is. I guess he focuses on movement and flexibility instead? He's incredible. I'm kinda surprised that the anti-fed bandwagon is starting to form.

david aames 07-02-2004 12:05 PM

Let me reformulate the question -- what kind of coaching would you be looking for being a top 10 ATP player?

I would say that a top 10 player will look first and foremost for a mental edge rather than a pure technical eye. Whether it is coming from the outside circle (Roddick) or from the family (Coria, Federer, Philippoussis). It seems to me that everyone in the business asked about it always talk about one thing -- confidence. Can you think of any player that would break the mold?

mlee2 07-02-2004 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @wright
I'm kinda surprised that the anti-fed bandwagon is starting to form.

Oh? as opposed to the "Federer is God" bandwagon that's been here for a while? or how about a combination of that and the "Rod-dick sucks" group?

Anybody who's "anti-Fed" is inept to what true tennis ***-kickery is. I doubt there's an anti-fed bandwagon on this board but I 'm assuming I'm one of the posters you're talking about.

I think what turns us "anti-Fed" people off is the quickness of how people are writing him as invincible, God-like, etc. Something only Sampras (so far) is worthy of IMO.

It's the hypocrisy of Federer being accepted as a masturbating tool and at the same time, making it a cardinal sin to praise Roddick for his accomplishments.

I'll admit that the Roddick haters have been shut up recently. By the same token, these are probably the same posters making "Fed is God/Oprah/Zeus" posts so hopefully us "anti-Feds" will see more rational posts in the future.

lelopez 07-02-2004 12:36 PM

Roger's hitting partner is Mirka on and off the court :lol:

........in one of Roger's matches it was commented that supposedly he's waiting for Agassi to retire so he can hire "Killer" Cahill.....

Steffirox 07-02-2004 01:02 PM

Roger seems to get on fine without coach.

joe sch 07-02-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david aames
One of those coincidences... There is a feature on Federer fitness training in the new Tennis Mag. He has a fitness trainer travelling with him and a physiotherapist at home in Basel.

Who need as coach with this combination ! Coaches cant give strategy during matches anyways so you might as well hire a trainer and a "therapist" :wink:
A strong female figure never hurts either :lol:

PJVA 07-02-2004 02:04 PM

In the old days of tennis none of the players had coaches.

Federer doesn't seem to need a coach as much as others because he is so smart in seeing what tactic to use against different players. He has a great Australian coach when he was a junior and that laid the foundation he has today.

As for who he practices with, they mentioned that he practiced with Shalken earlier in the tournament. He also tends to practice with other Swiss players.....which who knows how much help that is.

As to the question of his training......on Federer's website there are photos of him working out with a heavy ball and ballance bar. He also was running on a treadmill. He doesn't appear to lift heavy weights to build up muscle.

dantyem108 07-02-2004 02:13 PM

hahahahahahahahaha lelopez, probably true though[/quote]

PJVA 07-02-2004 02:23 PM

mlee2,

Regarding your dislike of all the praise of Federer......it's not that he's invincible, it's not about how many majors he will win......for me it's just the way he plays.

Yes, I have a crush on him. What's wrong with that?