Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   roddick vs. federer (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=7914)

lendl lives 07-02-2004 10:52 AM

roddick vs. federer

i've been waiting for this one!! both of them seem too good for everyone else.

TwistServe 07-02-2004 10:55 AM

Federer is too good for Roddick..

Vlad 07-02-2004 11:03 AM

Fed is too good and Roddick is a break point down in the second, so hold your horses, Ancic might just come back and level the match.

Feņa14 07-02-2004 11:13 AM

Federer will be to much for Roddick, I saw the Fed V Grosjean semi live today and Fed looks far better in real life than on TV!!!

Scary really, he will take Roddick apart exactly like last year. I can't praise him enough.

-Liam

redpurusha 07-02-2004 12:09 PM

I got a question... when is the final going to be? I've been searching the nbc and espn sites and no luck in finding out what day this happen. I am going on vacation and would like to record the final but is tthere even a tentative schedule?

VashTheStampede 07-02-2004 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad
Fed is too good and Roddick is a break point down in the second, so hold your horses, Ancic might just come back and level the match.

true, but wen its break point against roddick, 3 aces/unreturned serves (which happen often wen roddick serves) n the games gone in 15 seconds.

PJVA 07-02-2004 01:33 PM

I am new here. If all is right and normal in the world Federer should prevail over Roddick easily. For me it would be devestating to see Roddick win with his rather boring clumsy style.

Roddick wins only becuase of his serve. Take that away and he is often reduced to counterpunching. He doesn't have the shot making ability to place a ball precisely and think on his feet shifting position automatcially with the fluidity that Federer has.

I hope Federer puts Roddick in his place because maybe then the networks will get the idea that Federer is the great player that they should be featuring in their prime spots.

perfmode 07-02-2004 01:55 PM

Roddick obviously can't break Federer. No one can. The only chance he has is to hold serve the entire match with his big gun and pray that he can get lucky in the tiebreaks when Federer turns up the heat. It may appear to be a close match, but Roddick is going to be struggling to stay in it.

Federer in an easy five sets.

PJVA 07-02-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perfmode
Roddick obviously can't break Federer. No one can. The only chance he has is to hold serve the entire match with his big gun and pray that he can get lucky in the tiebreaks when Federer turns up the heat. It may appear to be a close match, but Roddick is going to be struggling to stay in it.

Federer in an easy five sets.

Please not 5 sets! My nerves couldn't take it. Federer's got to win big in 3 sets!

Rickson 07-02-2004 03:05 PM

I'm a fan of both these guys, but let's be for real. Federer's game is another level above the rest of the field so Roddick's chances are slim. I wouldn't be disappointed if Andy won though, shocked, but not disappointed.

Aonex 07-02-2004 03:12 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it's going to be relatively close? How many times do you think Roger will break Andy's serve? I see maybe two tie brakes. Besides, that'd be pretty boring if it was another one sided final.

perfmode 07-02-2004 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aonex
Am I the only one who thinks it's going to be relatively close? How many times do you think Roger will break Andy's serve? I see maybe two tie brakes. Besides, that'd be pretty boring if it was another one sided final.

Roddick may be able to easily hold against most players on tour but this is Roger Federer. That ball is going to be returned with authority.

Chubrock 07-02-2004 03:49 PM

Geez guys, it seems most people here just LOVE to bash Roddick. Is it just something about an intense guy that chaps ya'll in the wrong places? I mean come on, ya'll take away his serve, and ya'll might as well take away something from Fed too. Look at any champion in the last 30years, and if you were to take away their big shot, or main attribute, they too would drop down a notch. Don't know why everybody's bashing the kid for having a big serve and relying on it. Don't see anybody here that could beat Roddick even if he was reduced to "counterpunching."

Aoya 07-02-2004 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJVA
I am new here. If all is right and normal in the world Federer should prevail over Roddick easily. For me it would be devestating to see Roddick win with his rather boring clumsy style.

Roddick wins only becuase of his serve. Take that away and he is often reduced to counterpunching. He doesn't have the shot making ability to place a ball precisely and think on his feet shifting position automatcially with the fluidity that Federer has.

I hope Federer puts Roddick in his place because maybe then the networks will get the idea that Federer is the great player that they should be featuring in their prime spots.

WOW, I wonder what would happen if you took away Roger's serve? GEE, NOBODY WOULD START THE DAMN POINT.

Thanks for being one sided and nominal. You sir, are banished.

bravestennis 07-02-2004 07:55 PM

Roddick isn't that bad w/o his serve, he could still win, he wouldn't be ranked as high, but still a pro. Roddick smashes the crap out of the ball, but does make a few rim shots. As with federer, he can put it anywhere but not with the amount of pace as roddick. I think it could become a awesome final if roddick gets the 3.5 free points a game from his serve.

perfmode 07-02-2004 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravestennis
Roddick isn't that bad w/o his serve, he could still win, he wouldn't be ranked as high, but still a pro. Roddick smashes the crap out of the ball, but does make a few rim shots. As with federer, he can put it anywhere but not with the amount of pace as roddick. I think it could become a awesome final if roddick gets the 3.5 free points a game from his serve.

Federer isn't like everyone else on tour. Fed is great at serve returns. Roddick definitely isn't going to get as many free points on serve as he usually does.

zenmaster 07-02-2004 08:42 PM

i agree that federer has a more interesting playing style, but that doesn't make Roddick bad, in fact he's pretty good, except that Roddick is all ESPN shows, which sucks.

fjgarciap 07-03-2004 04:58 AM

I think Fed won't have trouble controlling Roddick's serve. It might take him a set to sense and accomodate himself to adjust his return to Roddick's serves (the big one and the kicker one, which is good too), but once he does he should take control on the course of the match.

Roddick may win some greats points here and there during the match, but I see Fed retaining the title in 4 sets.

dozu 07-03-2004 08:47 AM

The weather can be a wild card here... it seems there is a momentum shift everytime the players come back on the court. Even Fed is not immune to this.

It will be interesting. lets see. This Fed-Rodick rivalry on fast surface is shaping up to equal the Sampras-Agassi dual we had in the past, it's great.

Feņa14 07-03-2004 08:49 AM

Come On Tim!!!!!! :D