Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fed Forehand Clips - 1000 FPS Camera (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=7921)

AndyC 07-02-2004 12:52 PM

Fed Forehand Clips - 1000 FPS Camera

I think there were some posts requesting this clip from the Fed-Hewitt match where they were using a high speed (1000 frames/sec camera) to compare the two forehands. You'll find the clip available in the link below. It's approx 12.5 megs in size.

http://www.araf72.dsl.pipex.com/1000FPS.mpg

ibelieveinliquidmetal 07-02-2004 01:15 PM

Wow, thank you!

lelopez 07-02-2004 01:20 PM

Great clip and comparison. Didn't know Fed's racquet head speed was so much faster than Hewitt's......

.....and crap!! did you see how the racquet twists as he contacts the ball?

Pretty impressive.....

TwistServe 07-02-2004 01:20 PM

I think the hewitt forehand is a bad selection. I think he was trying to save a ball and doesn't look balanced as in his normal forehands.

VashTheStampede 07-02-2004 01:23 PM

NICE!!!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!! its hard finding clips of players strokes, n its good quality too!!! yea i wish that the clip of hewitt wuz taken wen he wuz more in position. BUT THANKS!!! great clip

lelopez 07-02-2004 01:32 PM

Looks like both shots are out of a return of serve, however I do agree that Federer has a sitter (or slow approaching ball) and Hewitt has one that has moved him out of position.

mach1 07-02-2004 01:55 PM

Dood man thanks alot...i asked for those forehand clips because i barely caught them. thanks again man!=]

rafael 07-02-2004 03:17 PM

thank you.

AAUS 07-02-2004 04:00 PM

its not working for me, its showing a broken quicktime symbol instead of the video

chrisab508 07-02-2004 04:02 PM

i guess its more apparent in these clips. But in these clips, it seems as though teh ball just bounces right off teh racquet and all the low to high and western/semi-western grips aren't doing anything. How is topspin imparted if the ball just bounces right off the racquet when it hits?

mach1 07-02-2004 04:05 PM

AAUS, did you try to riqht clicking the link and click save target and then save to your desktop? if you just clicked the link, it might take a long while to play it.

Power Game 07-02-2004 04:37 PM

Thank you very much

perfmode 07-02-2004 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisab508
i guess its more apparent in these clips. But in these clips, it seems as though teh ball just bounces right off teh racquet and all the low to high and western/semi-western grips aren't doing anything. How is topspin imparted if the ball just bounces right off the racquet when it hits?

The grips are putting spin on the ball. That's the thing that many young/beginning players don't understand. You get spin from the angle and acceleration at which the ball is hit (swingpath). The only thing that matters is the speed and direction in which the head is travelling at the exact moment that it makes contact with the ball. The ball is getting tons of spin from the players in those clips. Federer's forehand in that shot is getting tons of spin from the headspeed of the racquet and the direction in which the frame is travelling. His forearm pronation is also aiding in whipping the racquet head around but the movement of his wrist after the shot does not affect the amount of spin that the ball gets.

AndyC 07-02-2004 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAUS
its not working for me, its showing a broken quicktime symbol instead of the video

Are u using a Mac or a PC? Also which version of Quicktime are u using to play the videos?

Apparently Quicktime 6.4's Mpeg2 Decoder expired last year.. dunno if there's a fix for it.

http://www.macmerc.com/article.php?sid=1182

raven5288 07-02-2004 09:06 PM

AAUS, what browser are you using. I was using Firefox and it didn't work, so I used IE and it downloaded fine. Try using a different browser.

zenmaster 07-02-2004 10:30 PM

awesome clips, are there anymore out there?

montoo 07-03-2004 12:17 AM

A treat to see! Thanks for posting. Was the high speed cam. used for just this match? I would love to see more strokes, esp. serves. The higher FPS reveals many more nuances other clips seem to miss.

AndyC 07-03-2004 01:21 AM

they used a normal cam for the match.. clips from the high speed cam have been shown periodically through the week.. this clip was the only one I recorded (as part of the Fed-Hewitt match).. I don't have any of the others (they looked at Roddick's serve and also Fed's backhand that I can remember) or I'd post them.

JohnThomas1 07-03-2004 01:52 AM

Here in Australia i actually caught a glimpse of Sharapova's serve in this super slow mo. I haven't yet seen the clips above, talk about amazing and clear. It was almost surreal.

PusherMan 07-03-2004 06:35 PM

Anyone else notice Federer FRAMED the forehand seen in this video????