Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need some tourna grip tips.. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=8227)

zesty-man 07-06-2004 07:58 PM

Need some tourna grip tips..

on my racket, usually i have this sticky stuff at the very bottom of the racket, so my tourna grip sticks very nicely to the grip, and it makes it very easy to start the tournagrip. however, i demoed this racket, and i wanted to put a toura grip on it, because my hands were constantly slipping beuase they sweat a lot. i just cant seem to get my toura grip started the way i want to. i've spent over 30 minutes trying, to no sucess.

anyone have any simple tips for me about gripping tourna grip onto your racket? thanks

jings 07-07-2004 01:43 AM

Don't make your first wrap at too extreme an angle ... keep the first 2 turns reasonably perpendicular to the handle and you should find it catches on itself well enough. Once your further down the grip you can increase the angle and stretch the tourna a little to get it to go the whole way down the handle if you need it.

zesty-man 07-07-2004 09:11 AM

hmmm, thanks for the help. i finally managed to get it on, but its a mess...[/img]

Kirko 07-07-2004 08:52 PM

Don't fret ! Wrapping an overgrip is like putting a reg. grip on takes a little practice & some "freaked out" wrap jobs. Cut the grip @ an angle then wrap tightly be sure it feel s the way you like before you tape it if not peel it off & start over.

zesty-man 07-07-2004 10:11 PM

so wait, do i physically have to cut the grup at an agle??? hmmm, ill try that one out. how tight should it be? i mean, sometimes it feels that im almost wrapping it too tight, because some "stretch marks" are visible on the grip. also, if you cut the grip, how is the grip gonna "stick" onto the racquet? thanks

jings 07-08-2004 01:06 AM

Zesty-man, U can cut the grip at about a 45 degree angle which helps, but I've found you don't always have time for that. You can wrap easily enough without having to cut it, and just use it square out of the box. If you really need to stick it down, either cut a small length off the red finishing tape and use that to anchor it, or some other electric tape etc, but you really don't need to. The trick is simply to make sure you anchor the end of the grip to the handle (I use my thumb) as you make the first wrap. As for strectching, I would say the tourna-g has two levels of stretch. One is the initial pull you can give that uses the slight give in the grip and that it will spring back from, whilst the second is a "permanent" stretch that it won't come back from - simply pulling harder gets you from 1st to second stage. Overall, don't sweat it, you'll get the knack and wonder what all the fuss was about! The TW "How to replace a grip" section may be of help.

Kirko 07-08-2004 06:46 PM

if you don't cut the grip @ an angle you wind up with lump where you grip the racket maybe it doesn't bothet some it would drive me nuts.

zesty-man 07-08-2004 08:34 PM

YES. now that i tihnk about it, if i did cut it, it would totally make it eaiser for me. i do have problems with that tiny "lump", and im constantly getting annoyed with that stupid thing. thanks for the advice, now ill really think about it/

Coda 07-11-2004 10:08 AM

take the red tape, rip off a little amount just so you can tape it down and start it from there...

zesty-man 07-11-2004 10:54 AM

i should do that when im starting the tourna grip?

Coda 07-11-2004 12:29 PM

yeah, take a little piece of red tape and tape the first edge down so you won't have to hold it down yourself and can focus on wrapping it well. Ever use a wilson pro overgrip? That grip has some glue on the first edge...same idea with the tournagrip.

zesty-man 07-11-2004 01:29 PM

hmmm, very interesting... but if you were to do that, would that mean that you should be able to see some of the red tape at the butt of the racket? and wold that affect your grip in any way? or would the grip simply overlap the red tape, masking the red tape?

jings 07-11-2004 08:04 PM

I don't cut my tg and don't find I get any lumps as I wrap - as I say if you keep the first turn or two fairly perpendicular to the handle (ie not going down the length so much as you wrap, but more round the handle) the grip flattens out nicely and then you can work it further down the handle. It's all about finding what works for you...

I was wrapping one last night and realised that I actually wrap it as a leftie would, and my grips go the other way to the leather ... only taken me 15 years or so to notice!

zesty-man 07-11-2004 08:29 PM

hmm, so basically speaking, you try to keep the first wrap fairly flat, with hardly any angle???? hmm, i also thought that maybe i should wrap my grip like how lefties should, after all, im left handed. maybe it would be eaiser if i went the the lefty way, instead of trying how everyone else does it.

jings 07-11-2004 11:37 PM

Exactly. Imagine the racquet standing on its head, grip straight up in the air. I keep the tg as close to 90 degrees to the handle for the first turn or two to get it started. I find it does kink a bit otherwise as there is a step down from the butt cap into the main body of the grip and the tg gets confused! From memory the grip replacement lesson on the TW main site has it set out for righties. I am right handed but put my grips on the other way round I've just discovered. I also iron left handed, but that's probably not very interesting!

zesty-man 07-12-2004 12:29 AM

thanks for the info, ill be sure to try it out. i tested that tape thing tonite, and it seemed to have worked alright. also, ill be sure to check out the grip replacement lesson on TW. thanks for the help!

edit: i looked up that grip replacmenet thing, and it didnt help any... it didnt really get into any actual detail about how to use the tourna grip......

Rickson 07-12-2004 06:28 AM

I overgrip all my sticks, it's really easy. Start the first 2 lines relatively straight, then start angling up.