Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Does Marcos Baghdatis deserve his own player mania page? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=82999)

shawn1122 06-15-2006 06:37 PM

Does Marcos Baghdatis deserve his own player mania page?

http://www.atptennis.com/baghdatis/

Seriously, where has Marcos been since the Aus Open?

They must have hyped him so much to the point where he was a player mania page, while other players who are actually in the top 10 have nothing.

diegaa 06-15-2006 06:45 PM

It sucks. Ive been wondering the same since january. I dont understand it. One player has a streak and boom, he´s the new agassi.
Many more players deserve a "mania" page on the atp site (ljubo, nalby and haas, for example).

dh003i 06-15-2006 06:47 PM

well, the way he played Federer was...well...very Federer-like.

Very well-rounded game, great in all aspects...

So, he's very promising; hasn't done much since then, but Federer didn't do too much after beating Sampras either (for a while).

erik-the-red 06-15-2006 06:53 PM

I like Baghdatis.

I first saw him play on TV at the 2004 USO. He drew Federer in the second round, so he got to play at Ashe. I believe the match was four sets, and what impressed me was his attitude. He knew he wasn't going to win, so he did his best and 'played his tennis.'

I saw him again on TV when he drew Federer (tough luck) at the Round of 16 in the 2005 AO. IIRC, he fought through qualies to get there (c.f. Donald Young). He got blitzed in the first two sets, but he forced a tiebreak in the third set and pulled off a string of running forehands that were spectacular.

A year later, he gets in the sixteens again at the AO and draws Roddick. Roddick's serve was on for the first few games, and Baghdatis couldn't get a hold on the first serve. All of a sudden, Andy starts missing on the first serve and has to show the second. Boom - Baghdatis steps in and starts popping them for winners. As the match went on, he was outhitting Andy from the baseline on a routine basis.

He pulled it together to close Ljubicic and came back from a two-sets deficit to Nalbandian. And, he did it with a smile :)

He could have a future. He wasn't spoiled in his early pro career; he had to fight through challengers and qualies. He moves well and has power.

Feņa14 06-15-2006 06:54 PM

True he hasn't done too much.

I believe the idea behind the pages are to get youngsters to know a bit more about the players and make them more accesible to the public. We all know Marcos to be a great guy with one of the best charismatic personalities in the game so he is a great advert for tennis.

It's all about making tennis more attractive, with him you have someone who may make people want to pick up a racket and play. The page is a good way of promoting a rising star of the game.

Would people be more interested in a crazy Cypriot who beat Roddick, Stepanek, Ljubicic, Nalbandian and fought bravely against Federer in a Grand Slam or say Davydenko, a top 10 player that people might find difficult to relate too.

I believe the target audience to be of a slightly younger generation who would get alot more out of a page about Baghdatis than many other players.

J-man 06-15-2006 07:09 PM

He's a great player but has horrible work ethic. He said at FO espn interview with Fowler asked him a question on the lines of "Why haven't we seen better results since the AO final?". And Baghdatis answer was "Give me a break I'm 20 I'm getting used to my new surroudings, something on the lines of that.

Give me a break "because I'm 20"?! WTF. Marcos 20 for tennis means you should start taking tennis serisouly and not slack off. Like Nadal. That dude never slacks off and when he beat Roddick at Davis cup and won FO last year he had all that media attenion and at the same time he was for obvious reasons. He really needs to pick it up. I know think Lujbicic deserved it more than Baghdatis. At least he has work ethic

lacoster 06-15-2006 09:01 PM

Nalbandian should have pulled the trigger on Baghdatis in the semis, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about this right now. Same-generation players like Ancic and Berdych are more consistent and less flash-in-the-pan.
________
VAPORIZER REVIEW

EclipseRydr97 06-15-2006 09:07 PM

He doesn't have to do much, he's got a hot girlfriend

JayxTheKoolest 06-15-2006 10:46 PM

It was probably by popular demand. There are a lot of people who like him.

exruda 06-16-2006 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayxTheKoolest
It was probably by popular demand. There are a lot of people who like him.

I think so too. I would not be surprised if his colorful fans were bombarding the ATP with requests after the AO :)

Gugafan_Redux 06-16-2006 08:02 AM

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. After the Oz, half this forum was "Baggy will be top five, how many slams will Baggy win, hall of fame, etc."

I didn't buy it.

vive le beau jeu ! 06-16-2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erik-the-red
I like Baghdatis.

I first saw him play on TV at the 2004 USO. He drew Federer in the second round, so he got to play at Ashe. I believe the match was four sets, and what impressed me was his attitude. He knew he wasn't going to win, so he did his best and 'played his tennis.'

I saw him again on TV when he drew Federer (tough luck) at the Round of 16 in the 2005 AO. IIRC, he fought through qualies to get there (c.f. Donald Young). He got blitzed in the first two sets, but he forced a tiebreak in the third set and pulled off a string of running forehands that were spectacular.

A year later, he gets in the sixteens again at the AO and draws Roddick. Roddick's serve was on for the first few games, and Baghdatis couldn't get a hold on the first serve. All of a sudden, Andy starts missing on the first serve and has to show the second. Boom - Baghdatis steps in and starts popping them for winners. As the match went on, he was outhitting Andy from the baseline on a routine basis.

He pulled it together to close Ljubicic and came back from a two-sets deficit to Nalbandian. And, he did it with a smile :)

He could have a future. He wasn't spoiled in his early pro career; he had to fight through challengers and qualies. He moves well and has power.

i like marcos too... and i totally agree with you ;)

PS: about playermania pages, i'm surprised that safin and agassi, as popular players, still don't have one...

tangerine 06-16-2006 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn1122
http://www.atptennis.com/baghdatis/

Seriously, where has Marcos been since the Aus Open?

They must have hyped him so much to the point where he was a player mania page, while other players who are actually in the top 10 have nothing.

I'm quite certain that the ATP site creates player mania pages based on the number of clicks/searches performed on each player. Baghdatis may not have done much after AO but he is obviously a fan favorite.

You can't really say that about many of the transitional Top Tenners: Davydenko, Gaudio, Ljubicic, etc.

unjugon 06-17-2006 05:29 PM

To put it in perspective: I think Berdych is/will be a lot better and consistent than Baghdatis.

malakas 06-17-2006 05:37 PM

Well it's fan mania pages,so it's all about fans,not consistency and latter results.
Marcos is very charismatic and a great fun to watch enjoying playing,whether winning or losing.
And instead of asking if he deserves his fan mania page,why don't you complain instead that other guys don't have their own??Nalbandian,Ljubo,Blake..
I believe that they should create more fan mania pages for other popular players.

yonex90 06-17-2006 08:32 PM

He deserves more than that. What a great personality. Tennis needs some more players like him that people can get behind. I think by the end of the season he will really be playing great. He has already climbed up into the top 20 and will be a top 10 before too long.

Rhino 07-05-2006 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gugafan_Redux
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. After the Oz, half this forum was "Baggy will be top five, how many slams will Baggy win, hall of fame, etc."

I didn't buy it.

I guess half of this forum were right.

vive le beau jeu ! 07-05-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino
I guess half of this forum were right.

marcos proved the other half to be wrong by playing great tennis ! ;)

mowcopian 07-05-2006 03:01 PM

i think he should he is a grinder and has battled through some tough 5 set matches in this years wimbledon and lots of 5 set wins against lots of players inside the top 10.

malakas 07-05-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vive le beau jeu !
marcos proved the other half to be wrong by playing great tennis ! ;)

Pame Marco!!!:D

Vive..congratulations!You are..the new world champions!!!!;)