Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Heavy knees (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=8669)

Ruuzo 07-14-2004 01:43 AM

Heavy knees

Hopefully this will make sense - recently every time I play, after awhile (1+ hours) my knees will start to feel "heavy" - there's no pain and I can still play normally, but I am very conscious of it between points especially and it is slightly uncomfortable. I'm not sure how else to describe it. The feeling goes away within an hour or so after I stop playing.

Anyone experience something like this? Is this the start of something more serious? I'm 29 years old and play approximately 4 times a week, 2 hours each session, only on hardcourts.

Thanks for sharing any insight/advice.

Eug 07-15-2004 06:23 PM

Maybe you knees are getting inflammed and are swelling a bit? Hard courts give your legs a beating. Maybe its time to replace shoes? Muscles arent at full strength? Consider all of these things.

Ruuzo 07-16-2004 08:50 AM

Thanks for the response...hmmm...sounds like something like that - I normally wear thorlo socks, I just tried wearing an extra pair of cheapo athletic socks over the thorlos for more cushioning - same thing happened. I even tried playing at about 50% of the exertion I normally put into my movement.

How do I tell when my shoes need replacing? My shoes look ok (sole hasn't worn through yet), but I've been wearing this pair for over 5 months.

I'll probably scale back the amount of tennis I'm playing for a few weeks and see if that helps.

Eug 07-16-2004 12:14 PM

Depends what type of shoe but with the amount of tennis you play, its time to replace the shoes. Its all about the cushioning the shoes provide. They may look ok but the materials break down with every step. Another possibility im throwing out there is water in the knee. That came out of right field but hey, you never know. Get your knees checked out if the problem persists. Do you play any other sports? Samething happens? Are you in good shape, not overweight?

AAAA 07-18-2004 02:05 PM

How tall and heavy are you?
How old are you?
How often do you do resistance exercise?

Ruuzo 07-18-2004 10:02 PM

I'm 29 years old, 6 feet tall, 175 pounds. I think I'm in pretty good shape, and the only exercise I get is tennis. I'm wearing Wilson ProStaff 500 shoes. Somewhere between a 4.0-4.5 player.

I just played today after not playing for 3 days and I didn't notice the "heaviness" this time - not a match though, just a 2-hour hitting session. I'm going to continue with this new relaxed pace and see what happens. And oh yeah, I'll try some new shoes next time out, maximize my chances :)

comeon787 08-06-2004 01:17 PM

i think you're quadriceps are too weak.

try frog hops

touch the ground squatting and jump as high as you can with your arms up

itll hurt bad the first day

do about 2 sets of 15 the first day and then increase reps and sets.

James Brown 08-06-2004 08:01 PM

i experience the same thing, usually its from standing around waiting for my opponents to serve (or make a serve) :>