Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How far can Gilbert take Murray? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=86895)

Moose Malloy 07-11-2006 03:13 PM

How far can Gilbert take Murray?

Just read that this is pretty much a done deal(3 year contract)

I think this is the biggest challenge of Gilbert's career. With Agassi & Roddick, he joined them when they had already accomplished quite a bit(Agassi was already W champion & former top 3 player, Roddick was in the top 5 & had already been to a slam SF)

Murray is 19, currently ranked 36. He certainly isn't a sure thing like those players.

Gilbert reminds me of Phil Jackson, someone who steps into a perfect situation & ends up looking like a genius when his players do what they are supposed to do. Now we'll see just how good of a coach he really is.

punch 07-11-2006 03:16 PM

Well I think Murray has the talent to get up there, I think Gilbert will do a good job furthering Murray along, introducing some new tactics, etc.

clayman2000 07-11-2006 03:19 PM

gilbert also joined up with murry at 19...the earliest of the three...he will make murray at top ten player...but to what extent i dont know

Marat Safinator 07-11-2006 03:19 PM

gilbert transformed roddick so i think he will do the same for the cocky murray, maybe he can give him some money to get a dentist. that would be an awfuly kind gesture of him.

chiru 07-11-2006 03:21 PM

i donno i think the phil jackson reference doesn't quite work out. when brad talks he seems to knwo what he's talking about, i mean when agassi took on brad, he wasn't exactly no.1 in the world. i say gil reyes and gilbert deserve all the credit (of course agassi too) in bringing agassi back up to champion status. with roddick, he was basically the raw material without the proper guidance, and i donno, i agree that this will be a different challenge and that this will be a good test for brad's patience. personally i odn't like murray at all, he's so negative on court, i donno if brad's ebuliant presence will change that much.

Marat Safinator 07-11-2006 03:25 PM

chiru your absolutely right about murrays negativity, i dont think that he will change that at all.

Moose Malloy 07-11-2006 03:29 PM

Quote:

gilbert also joined up with murry at 19...the earliest of the three
Roddick was 20 when he joined Gilbert.

Quote:

i mean when agassi took on brad, he wasn't exactly no.1 in the world.
No, but he was a former Wimbledon champion. While Murray's career best slam is a 4th round appearance.

Quote:

he will make murray at top ten player
That would be impressive. He has a long way to go. If he fails to do that, Gilbert's reputation will go down a bit.

omniexist 07-11-2006 03:36 PM

Should be a good move. Doesn't it seem a lot of these young phenoms aren't really progressing all that much?

Well, it can't hurt I guess.

BaseLineBash 07-11-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omniexist
Should be a good move. Doesn't it seem a lot of these young phenoms aren't really progressing all that much?

Well, it can't hurt I guess.

A ranking of 312 in the world last Wimby to a now 36 world ranking is quite a big jump! Murray is going places, he has the shots, the grit, attitude, blunt honesty and BG will help him with his ticker. Top 10 very soon my friends!

The tennis guy 07-11-2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy
Just read that this is pretty much a done deal(3 year contract)

I think this is the biggest challenge of Gilbert's career. With Agassi & Roddick, he joined them when they had already accomplished quite a bit(Agassi was already W champion & former top 3 player, Roddick was in the top 5 & had already been to a slam SF)

Murray is 19, currently ranked 36. He certainly isn't a sure thing like those players.

Gilbert reminds me of Phil Jackson, someone who steps into a perfect situation & ends up looking like a genius when his players do what they are supposed to do. Now we'll see just how good of a coach he really is.

I think he can get to top 16 in 3 years. He has such different game, mix junk with touch and power, just plays so different. Top 10 would be tough because I am not sure if he can pass the likes of Baghdatis, Berdych, Djokovic, Monfils, Gasquet, Ancic. Not a lot of room left in top 10 in 3 years.

Lee 07-11-2006 07:44 PM

Where is Murray going to go, 3 years from now? The answer is simple: Numero Tres, behind Federer and Nadal :D

TacoBellBorderBowl1946 07-11-2006 07:46 PM

you have a good point Moose,

He coached Agassi and A-Rod when they were reaching the peaks of their careers.

Murray still needs to develop, Gilbert could take him to the top 20 in a year and top ten in 3.

serveitup911 07-11-2006 08:02 PM

Murray can't go that far because he has no big weapons.

Wondertoy 07-11-2006 08:04 PM

What did he do for Roddick? The way I see it, he confused the crap out of Andy by telling him to come into net more and serve and volley some because of his serve and size, he needed to attack more. So Andy's been slicing his way into net and coming in and now everyone is beating him! Now Andy is in a no confidence death spiral because Gilbert gave him the wrong advice. You cannot change his style of game and teach him to be a great volleyer at 20, you need to develop the attack game at 14-16! Brag was also the guy who told him to receive serve 10 feet behind the baseline. No one thinks more highly of himself than Gilbert. He is a mediocre coach and a good self promoter who just sold himself to the Brits who are desparate for a champion.

Phil 07-11-2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serveitup911

I recall the same thing being said about Hewitt. I wouldn't underestimate the mental aspect, which is, possibly, where Murray has somewhat of an edge already. Being a smart tactician can get you somewhere today, in an era populated largely by players who don't know how to build a point.

Topaz 07-11-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Gilbert didn't particularly have any big weapons either...but he's smart, and smart tennis will go a long way. Also, it is never to late to develop a weapon either. I think this partnership will be very interesting to watch unfold.

FEDEXP 07-11-2006 08:24 PM

All I know is, hopefully (and I know many here like him on air) I won't have to listen to him on ESPN? Any chance?

serveitup911 07-11-2006 08:28 PM

I'll add to my previous point. Murray has no big weapons and is mopey. Phil, Hewitt had two weapons - mental toughness and speed. Murray seems to have neither of those.

Phil 07-11-2006 08:35 PM

Quote:

I'll add to my previous point. Murray has no big weapons and is mopey. Phil, Hewitt had two weapons - mental toughness and speed. Murray seems to have neither of those.

"Mopey" doesn't really matter. Sampras was "mopey" and it didn't seem to hurt him. From what I've seen, Murray has some mental toughness and he's smart-two things Hewitt has. He also has better groundstrokes. We'll see-I'm not expecting miracles, but if he gets in shape and gets motivated, he could possibly jump a lot of places this year and next. I can see Top 10.

jings 07-11-2006 09:13 PM

Murray seems to blow hot and cold, not helped by injuries and loss of momentum, but to date he's been patchy. Gilbert's very positive attitude can only help in this department I think. As to no weapons etc, he hits plenty hard enough when he wants to and if you watched the demolition of Roddick at Wimbledon this year you can see his all round game is pretty strong. No question the basics are in place. Even J mac thinks so. On paper it seems a good choice all round.