Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How to handle high moonballs using a 1 hand backhand (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=9213)

westell 07-22-2004 08:19 PM

How to handle high moonballs using a 1 hand backhand

How would you handle high moonballs to the backhand side when you have a 1 hand backhand besides slicing it back or frantically moving backward in a defensive position?

It seems it's really easy to exploit the 1 hand backhand with fast balls or high balls. But if the stroke is really such a liability how do people like Federer, Sampras, Graf survive with it?

How do THESE people handle high moonballs?

ibelieveinliquidmetal 07-22-2004 08:57 PM

Graf sliced everything on the backhand and Fed and Sampras could use their speed to take it on the forehand.

If your use Western bh then you can hit high shots on the bh side; but if its a moonball why not run around and take it on the forehand?

westell 07-22-2004 09:15 PM

I think I meant moonballs more as repeated fair-paced high bouncing topspin drives rather than high sitters. I guess running around to the forehand side would work but wouldn't that leave too much of the court open?

Also who do you think is the best one handed backhand using pro player that can hit these kinds of shots back with a top spin backhand hard and authoritatively (using a full western grip or whatnot)

Exxion 07-22-2004 09:29 PM

http://www.tennis.com/instruction/fu...CategoryID=292

its for high backhand volleys but maybe it'll help a little

ibelieveinliquidmetal 07-22-2004 09:32 PM

Henin-Hardenne with her height shows you can hit high bh shots on an offense.

This was a problem with me too, I got over it with a couple days practicing against a wall.

Skinny Dip 07-22-2004 11:08 PM

Personally the easiest backhand shot against the moonball is the slice. It's easy to hit, has a good margin for error and since it stays low makes it tough to hit another moonball from.

JohnThomas1 07-22-2004 11:47 PM

I either lean on it and hit a firm slice or go backward and hit a high topspin back depending on who i am playing. I really don't think this is a shot you can attack, Bjorn Borg made millions on it.

jkhtennis 07-23-2004 02:27 PM

Take the ball on the rise

My opinion is not to let the ball get higher over your shoulder. Take the ball on the rise just like Agassi does. So long as you can use your quick foot to get to the ball and hit it on the rise, you will be ok. It does not matter whether you want to slice it for better control or add more topspin.

Bungalo Bill 07-23-2004 02:36 PM

Re: Take the ball on the rise

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkhtennis
My opinion is not to let the ball get higher over your shoulder. Take the ball on the rise just like Agassi does. So long as you can use your quick foot to get to the ball and hit it on the rise, you will be ok. It does not matter whether you want to slice it for better control or add more topspin.

I think the trouble with telling people to hit it on the rise is just that - it is words. Hitting on the rise for most rec players is difficult since hitting on the rise requires practice and time spent on the court developing the footwork and timing to consistantly hit it and begin to trust your swing in a match.

I would venture to guess 99% of the players on this board that tell people to hit on the rise cant do it themselves on a consistant basis. People that suggest hitting on the rise also probably hit on the rise very seldom themselves and that bringing up a player like Agassi (and implying "if he can do it, I can do it") is well like saying, if Agassi can win the US Open, I can win the US Open.

I think for most players at our levels going with John Thomas advice is the way to go.

If you want to take those balls more aggresive, you can add a jump like Blake does in his swing. But that too takes practice. Or you can work on taking them on the rise. Just keep in mind, taking shots like that on the rise on a consistant basis in a match will require some solid training and a fair amount of time.

jun 07-23-2004 04:44 PM

easiest way of hitting it back would be slice. You have to make sure you hit it in front with good swing speed, otherwise the ball's going to float long.

Or you can try to take it on the rise. It will require a lot of practice AND you need to realize immediately it's a moonball and you need to move forward and take it on the rise.
I think 2nd part would be harder.

Or you can move back and hit with a lot of topspin. But some players will come in behind and knock off your shots.

Bungalo Bill 07-23-2004 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jun
easiest way of hitting it back would be slice. You have to make sure you hit it in front with good swing speed, otherwise the ball's going to float long.

Or you can try to take it on the rise. It will require a lot of practice AND you need to realize immediately it's a moonball and you need to move forward and take it on the rise.
I think 2nd part would be harder.

Or you can move back and hit with a lot of topspin. But some players will come in behind and knock off your shots.

Yes Jun, agreed. Recoginizing it is a moonball after being absorbed in the moment of watching your own ball is another factor that makes taking a ball like that on the rise very difficult. I would also add movement as another obstacle to overcome which ties into conditioning after you recognize the ball is a moonball.

For most club players, they should work on slicing the ball back down. You can get really good quickly by taking a full cut at the ball and "cutting" it down.

Or leaning back, and really hit up for a loopy topspin shot that will land deep as John Thomas suggested.

joe sch 07-23-2004 07:50 PM

slice & hitting off the rise. You may even want to consider attaching the ball and volleying them in midflight. Anything shoulder height and above should be aggressively attacked by moving forward and hitting the ball as you transition forward

thejerk 07-23-2004 11:01 PM

I use one handers but for those shots I can't seem to stop myself from using two hands and sending topspin moon balls back

Kick Serve 07-23-2004 11:46 PM

It's a two-stage decision. First you have to decide if you're going to play riskier and more aggressive by taking it on the rise or drop back to take the ball as it's descending in the arc. Then, you have to decide slice or topspin. This will usually default to which shot you're more confident hitting.

I personally will take the ball on the rise and drive it with a little topspin if I have time (I tend to play more aggressive). If I have to track the ball down and catch it late in the bounce then I will usually slice it hard and downward to keep it low. This is because the guys that I usually play will always attack when they know they've got me pinned deep. I can't afford to float a slice deep because they'll just come in and put away the volley. I have to get the ball down to their feet.