Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Tennis in Houston, TX (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=9242)

babar 07-23-2004 11:15 AM

Tennis in Houston, TX

Howdy all,

I will be relocating to Houston, TX soon. I wanted to know about the tennis scene in Houston. Any info on good clubs, overall level of play, league involvment, etc. I am a 4.0 who has been playing USTA leagues in Northern Virginia for the past few years. Thanks for any input.

Also, if anyone wants a hitting partner in Houston, let me know. Thanks.

Goalier95 08-05-2004 10:18 AM

here's a good place to start if you haven't done so already:
http://www.houstontennis.org/

Just to let you know, the weather here is very hot and humid during out 9 months of summer. :) My opinion is the Westside Tennis Club has to be the club to join because it offers the red clay of Paris, Wimbledon's grass and of course the hard courts. This is where the year ending Master's Cup will be held in November. Good luck!

babar 08-12-2004 02:14 PM

Thanks Goalier95! I used to live in H-town in my youth. I remember the weather well. I guess I will have to learn to like indoor tennis a lot more than I do. Thanks again.

matchpoints 09-07-2004 06:08 PM

Goalier95,

How's that place Houstonian?

BiGGieStuFF 09-15-2005 11:43 AM

Has anyone on TT ever gotten together and played before, or do you guys usually stick to your usual tennis cliques?

fishuuuuu 09-19-2005 01:51 PM

I guess most people just stick to their own tennis groups but I read somewhere that another kid like me went to go play Bungalo Bill and go his butt handed to him.

I've met with a (stranger) member of these boards before.

BiGGieStuFF 09-19-2005 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishuuuuu
I guess most people just stick to their own tennis groups but I read somewhere that another kid like me went to go play Bungalo Bill and go his butt handed to him.

I've met with a (stranger) member of these boards before.

I'm sure that's what holds most people back about playing someone they haven't met before. NOt sure if they would be wasting your time or you'd be wasting their time.

I'm thinking about joining a league here in Houston, but anyone got any suggestions to a friendly league here? Tennis is the priority but meeting good people is a plus as well.

jakul 10-12-2007 09:38 PM

Hello BiGGieStuFF. I'm located in Richmond but if you're looking for somebody to hit please PM me. I'm always looking for people to knock the ball around with a bit.:)

GRANITECHIEF 10-15-2007 04:24 PM

If anyone in Houston wants a game with a 6.0, let me know and i can hook you up. A buddy of mine is there on business there this week. He is super nice and will smile while he crushes you. !!!

Isn't SydneyJim located somewhere near there? I bet they would have fun.

atatu 10-16-2007 09:26 PM

I noticed a guy named "Jim Sydney" in the qualifying draw of the futures event in Mansfield...could it be ?

GRANITECHIEF 10-18-2007 12:26 PM

It most certainly is. Actually, if you look again, you'll notice that its Jim, Sydney and that all the players are listed with surname first.

Sydney was on these boards a while back but hasn't been posting lately. Maybe because he's been traveling a bit. Looks like a fun trip, lots of interesting locations, except for the win loss ratio isn't stellar:

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/player...layer=30023321

Bye the way Atatu, are you familiar with the Helotes area. I picked up a 4 acre parcel there in the hills north of Helotes toward Grey Wolf and i haven't even seen it. How is the area?

atatu 10-18-2007 12:47 PM

The Helotes area is very nice. The had a bit of a problem there this past year as the result of a mulch fire, and because I work for the State of Texas Environmental agency, I heard a lot about it. You can google "Helotes Mulch Fire" and learn all about it. Anway, don't let that discourge you, the area is very nice.

Muffin Man 10-18-2007 05:45 PM

i'm traveling down to houston for a few weeks in december. we'll be there for the holidays at my in-law's house. i would love to find a couple of people to hit with while i'm down there. i'm a solid 4.5 player in the northeast. i'd be looking to hit with anyone 4.0 and higher. i've played at the houstonian in the past but will have a car...as it is a requirement in houston so i can get just about anywhere.

LafayetteHitter 10-19-2007 11:47 AM

I typically stay at the Houstonian when I visit Houston. I really like the fitness facility and the courts are pretty nice.

TenS_Ace 10-21-2007 10:07 PM

The Houstonian is OUTSTANDING!!

Muffin Man 10-23-2007 06:26 AM

i know the houstonian is great. i will be able to play there without guest fees since i can usually get a guest pass from my mother-in-law. are there any houstonian members, 4.0-5.0 who would like to hit in december?

anybody know of any other places to find a good match that time of year?

NC Texan 10-24-2007 08:14 AM

Houston Racquet Club

I'm moving to Houston in January. We were thinking of joining Houston Racquet Club. My wife doesn't really play so we wanted to join some place that had good pool, gym, dining, etc. Does anyone know the level of tennis there? I am a 5.0 player in my late 20s and am interested in serious tennis. I hear there is a good tourney and league scene in Houston but I also want to make sure there are a lot of good players at the club. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, it looks like Memorial Park has a lot of tennis activity. Is this a good place to find a match? Thanks

Leelord337 10-27-2007 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babar (Post 66250)
Howdy all,

I will be relocating to Houston, TX soon. I wanted to know about the tennis scene in Houston. Any info on good clubs, overall level of play, league involvment, etc. I am a 4.0 who has been playing USTA leagues in Northern Virginia for the past few years. Thanks for any input.

Also, if anyone wants a hitting partner in Houston, let me know. Thanks.

Hi. I'm a Houstonian. I play at san jacinto college North campus Mon- Thurs and Sun from 5pm-8pm, there is some pretty good competition out there. drop on by if you want to pick up a good singles or doubles match, 8 lighted hardcourts surrounded by trees, nice and quiet and lit up well at night, and best of all its free...but no hobos around because its a college.

If you're looking to join a tennis club, in downtown there's the houston MET, metropolitan racquet club, and near the university of houston central campus is Macgregor Park but some 5.0+ close to pro players are there and really have game and u can hook up with a singles match or dubs, and it's only 4$ an hour. Memorial Park is really the hub of the tennis scene though. Lots of great players from all around show up there. i think its $6 an hour there.

Also try Strawberry park tennis center. They have fun tournaments about twice a month for singles and doubles.

NC Texan 10-31-2007 01:35 PM

Westside Tennis & Fitness

I have recently been told that Westside Tennis & Fitness, despite its transition to more of a "family fitness" club, is still the place to join for serious tennis players. Does anyone have any information about it since they did the renovations? I now there are a lot of parks with good players too, but we wanted to join a club and were told this was the one to join. Thanks for any information.

Lindsay 10-31-2007 03:20 PM

My husband works at westside... its the nicest club i've ever seen. they are putting in 2 lagoon pools, they just put in an arcade, batting cages, indoor golf range. They have a formal dining and restaurant. Still have 30+ courts. You can still hit in the stadium on the WTT court. Its crazy nice, all I can say.