Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Doubles "Weaker Player" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=94159)

Jassy_B 08-27-2006 09:36 PM

Doubles "Weaker Player"

Ok so im playing in a junior tornament and me n my partner are playin against two players that have never played together before (mind you since its round robin they will get one match before us yet it will be an easy match) One of the players is far superior to the other where ( my partner played good guy and lost 6-2 6-1) while the other guy we could each take 6-2 6-1 ^^. I was jus wondering if i could get any strategies / tips on playing doubles versus these guys. So far im thinkin hold and break the crappy guy but thats a bad mentality. ty :p

kchau 08-27-2006 09:37 PM

I formation is the solution to everything

Jassy_B 08-27-2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchau
I formation is the solution to everything

u serious?

kchau 08-27-2006 09:51 PM

im kidding, but if you pull it off right, it makes the other team VERY nervous

damasta55 08-27-2006 09:54 PM

Hit all balls to the weaker player? Better yet, aim it at them, lol.

Swissv2 08-27-2006 10:16 PM

on serve to the good player go out wide to open up the court, then hit at the weaker player. On serve to the weaker player, find their weak side and exploit it. on rallys, pressure the weaker player.

kevhen 08-28-2006 05:49 AM

You can hit at the weaker player, but if his vollies are decent then you may have to hit into the open court or lob over the weaker player. Hitting down the middle is always good too as both players may get upset at each other for taking or not taking the ball. When you have the choice always hit at the weaker player. The stronger player will get cold and not do quite as well when he does get a ball. Have fun, try to win every game even when returning the stronger player's serve as the weaker partner may mess up his putaways.

thursdayisgod 08-28-2006 08:18 AM

If they don't play together often or if it's their first time playing together you can go down the middle of the court sometimes a lot of times neither player will get it assuming the other player would.

Supernatural_Serve 08-28-2006 08:23 AM

your entire strategy should be to hold serve and to break the weaker servers serve.

Its a crime letting a weak server hold in doubles.

oldguysrule 08-28-2006 10:24 AM

Some points to keep in mind...
1. Doubles is the great equalizer. I have seen poor singles players be very good doubles players.
2. It is harder than you think to break the weak player's serve. That strong player at the net can create problems. I agree with an earler poster that sometimes the stronger player can be broken because of errors from the weaker partner.
3. Hitting to the weaker player is a good strategy when they are both at the net or both on the baseline. However, don't stop hitting the right shot for the situation just because it is to the strong player. For example, I play mixed doubles with my wife and in a tournament lots of teams have the strategy of playing to the woman. This backfires on them because they become predictable and I can effectively take 2/3's of the court away from them. Unless they go to me or behind me, I just keep getting more and more aggresive at the net. My wife is pretty steady and a typical point when she is returning serve will be...backhand return, backhand, backhand, volley winner by me.
4. When in doubt, hit it down the middle.

kevhen 08-28-2006 11:02 AM

I agree that sometimes it has backfired for me to go directly at the weak player when they are already at the net (if they have a decent volley) with their partner still at the baseline. Better to just hit back to the center of the court and make them reach for their volley. If both up or both back then go at the weaker player always!

Bungalo Bill 08-28-2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevhen
I agree that sometimes it has backfired for me to go directly at the weak player when they are already at the net (if they have a decent volley) with their partner still at the baseline. Better to just hit back to the center of the court and make them reach for their volley. If both up or both back then go at the weaker player always!

It is still not a bad strategy.

Jassy_B 08-28-2006 08:07 PM

aite heres wat happen guys.. the stronger player pulled out because he lost his singles finals. so the weaker player is now the stronger player makin thing a lot easier.. ill let u guys know how we did!! thx

LuckyR 08-29-2006 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldguysrule
Some points to keep in mind...
1. Doubles is the great equalizer. I have seen poor singles players be very good doubles players.
2. It is harder than you think to break the weak player's serve. That strong player at the net can create problems. I agree with an earler poster that sometimes the stronger player can be broken because of errors from the weaker partner.
3. Hitting to the weaker player is a good strategy when they are both at the net or both on the baseline. However, don't stop hitting the right shot for the situation just because it is to the strong player. For example, I play mixed doubles with my wife and in a tournament lots of teams have the strategy of playing to the woman. This backfires on them because they become predictable and I can effectively take 2/3's of the court away from them. Unless they go to me or behind me, I just keep getting more and more aggresive at the net. My wife is pretty steady and a typical point when she is returning serve will be...backhand return, backhand, backhand, volley winner by me.
4. When in doubt, hit it down the middle.

Listen to the "oldguy"... doubles is not singles with two people on the court. A lot of what might make someone a "weaker" player in singles (like playing S&V against power baseliners) would make the guy one of the best doubles players out there. Similarly, having a kick serve for a first serve would be a singles liability and might be great in their doubles game.

kevhen 08-29-2006 07:40 AM

True, I know plenty of guys who are a half level difference in abilities either being better at singles because of great footspeed or better at doubles due to great volley skills and experience. Most younger players are a little better at singles and most older players are a little better at doubles but you never know.

Jassy_B 08-29-2006 08:53 PM

we won 6-1 6-4 so thats good almost in the finals now jus gotta beat 2 guys who we know.

Kathy 08-30-2006 10:39 AM

:confused: "Hold your serve and break the weaker opponent's serve" is no strategy.

It's just a goal. And that goal may be harder than aiming to "Hold your serve and break the stronger opponent's serve." For, when the weaker player is serving, the stronger one is at net. He may do you more damage there than when he's serving.

Don't underestimate such teams. Those teams (comprised of players of widely differening ability) are usually surprisingly good at winning. That's because they naturally role-play.

If this team is any match for you, just hitting everything to the weaker opponent will not work. That too is no strategy: it's just a tactic. And if you use it, it's your only tactic.

Hey, are you going to "hit to the weaker player" when he is at the baseline instead of volleying through the Hole because the stronger player (at net) may get a racket on that shot? I hope not.

In doubles, the SITUATION is usually more important than who you hit to. Which is why you play "deep to deep" and "short to short." No matter which opponent is in which spot.

True, when they are both up or back, then you can pick on the weaker player. By all means DO if that works.

Kathy K
www.operationdoubles.com

Rickson 08-30-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jassy_B
Ok so im playing in a junior tornament and me n my partner are playin against two players that have never played together before (mind you since its round robin they will get one match before us yet it will be an easy match) One of the players is far superior to the other where ( my partner played good guy and lost 6-2 6-1) while the other guy we could each take 6-2 6-1 ^^. I was jus wondering if i could get any strategies / tips on playing doubles versus these guys. So far im thinkin hold and break the crappy guy but thats a bad mentality. ty :p

This is an easy one; hit everything to the weaker guy. If the strong guy poaches, lob him, but make sure you keep going to the weak guy.

Kathy 08-30-2006 03:13 PM

:confused: I have yet to see anyone able to lob in reaction to a poach!

And, everything that's been said about not just hitting everything to the weaker guy calls for a REASON or a valid ARGUMENT in favor of just hitting everything to the weaker guy. But give no reason or argument, you just "Yesbut-hit-everything-to-the-weaker-guy" us.

Kathy K
www.operationdoubles.com/narc/npd-blog/

Rickson 08-30-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy
:confused: I have yet to see anyone able to lob in reaction to a poach!

And, everything that's been said about not just hitting everything to the weaker guy calls for a REASON or a valid ARGUMENT in favor of just hitting everything to the weaker guy. But give no reason or argument, you just "Yesbut-hit-everything-to-the-weaker-guy" us.

Kathy K
www.operationdoubles.com/narc/npd-blog/

I lob poachers all the time, but then again, I was gonna lob regardless.