Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Why is Federer the best? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=95778)

Hot Sauce 09-05-2006 09:40 PM

Why is Federer the best?

Roger Federer, ATP #1.
Simple question.. What does he do so well that excels him from every other player?

The Prodigy 09-05-2006 10:25 PM

Actually, he loses to others. He's just been playing a lot of tournaments, which gave him points to be #1.

zhan 09-05-2006 10:30 PM

roger is the best because of the combination of his speed, court vision, technique and overall knowledge of the game
he might not be the fastest, hardest hitter out there but he excels in so many areas where other players might just be amazing in one particular niche...

mj01 09-05-2006 10:36 PM

Movement and anticipation. He seems to see the points unfold better than anyone else. He always seems to be perfectly balanced, in the perfect position, and never seems rushed. Think about how few times you see other players hit clean winners against him. It has to be extraordinarily frustrating for them, and when you add in the offensive firepower he possesses, you have a dominant player.

skuludo 09-05-2006 11:41 PM

Federer has only lost to Nadal and Murray so far this year.

alan-n 09-06-2006 12:20 AM

Roger does not play lots more of tournaments than anyone else in the top 15 to remain number 1. If you win the majors and top level masters tournaments yes you will remain #1. You gain more points to your ranking with results in majors and top level atp tournaments.

I don't know the answer to this one, but has there ever been anyone that has won at least 2 grand slams in a calendar year and not be #1?

BaseLineBash 09-06-2006 12:28 AM

I can answer your question. He's found his center just like expert martial artists. That is what sets him apart from the pack. Near perfect balance is his main strength.

kevhen 09-06-2006 05:38 AM

He watches the ball all the way, he moves very smoothly on the court and is usually at the right place at the right time. He can hit winners on both wings and also is very good at blocking balls back and playing defense when he has too. He keeps his calm and plays with confidence. He vollies, serves, basically does everything very well so he doesn't have many weaknesses. Most players will attack his backhand, but it's probably the best one-handed backhand in the game.

remyb2 09-06-2006 06:01 AM

Because he's not human...

Ten_is 09-06-2006 06:14 AM

^ haha.. that's funny.

Federer is a pretty good returner and doesn't get hyped, angry or overexcited when he plays. He has Great swings that produce speed rather than looking like he's forcing anything really. He's simply the best.

kevhen 09-06-2006 06:59 AM

He's the best on hard court and grass.

mdhubert 09-06-2006 07:09 AM

A combination of talent (like Safin, Rios, McEnroe or Leconte), athleticism (like Lendl, Rafter or Muster), work ethics and professionalism (like Lendl), mental fortitude (like Sampras or Agassi), splendid footwork, balance and movement (like Edberg or Laver).
Federer is the balanced player: instinctive yet a hard worker, technically he is both old school (grips, one hander, slice BHs) and modern (open stance, power). Tactically he's both a great defender and a super aggressive player. His capacity to switch from defense to offense is second to none. His second shot (after the serve) is probably the best on tour. He's got a precise game plan and can adapt it to the situation. He's a great server and returner, two key shots. He's got a deadly weapon in his FH. His net game is very efficient and fluid. He's the only one to keep his head still that long after the shot, which maybe is one of his secrets (though it leads to spectacular misses sometimes).

He's so complete that you wonder sometimes what happens in certain matches where some records are on the line: why did he stay back so much and let Rafa attack his BH in the FO finals this year ? Why did he enter Cinci and tank against Murray ?
This guy remains a mystery...

tarheels2323 09-06-2006 07:14 AM

Actually guys, it's because he uses a racquet with a 88"-90" (depending on who you ask) headsize. :mrgreen:

LuckyR 09-06-2006 07:47 AM

Well all of the above was true, at one point. Now there is so much "mystique" about him that he has a tremendous advantage, Mentally before they open the cans of balls. There have been quite a few matches recently that he really should have lost, but he hit a couple of great shots, the other guy crumbled Mentally and he breezed to a comeback win.

At this point, if your name isn't Nadal, you're quaking in your boots as soon as you look at the draw and the chance of you playing near your best for the entire match is pretty low.

It's easier to dominate a crowd who feel dominated...

Mahboob Khan 09-06-2006 06:47 PM

Because he is biomechanically, tactically, and physically sound plus he has this court and ball sense. He reads his opponents well and he anticipates well. He has this sixth sense, I guess.

He does not lose that much (around 2 losses per year) and he does not have excessive tournament playing schedule! He is number one because he wins major slams and bigger tournaments such as Masters Events.

Ano 09-06-2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan-n
Roger does not play lots more of tournaments than anyone else in the top 15 to remain number 1. If you win the majors and top level masters tournaments yes you will remain #1. You gain more points to your ranking with results in majors and top level atp tournaments.

I don't know the answer to this one, but has there ever been anyone that has won at least 2 grand slams in a calendar year and not be #1?

Yes, there were. In 1982, Jimmy Connors won the Wimbledon and the US Open, but at the end of 1982, John McEnroe was the number 1 player in the ATP Ranking.

in 1989, Boris Becker won the Wimbledon and the US Open, but at the end of 1989, Ivan Lendl was the number 1 player in the ATP Ranking.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

jackson vile 09-07-2006 08:18 AM

What Roger has that all other players lack is strategy, he has certain "Plays" just like in basketball or ther games where you have a strategy to win by making openings.

It is very very rare you will catch Roger baslining someone, he attempts to make openings and then scores.

Other players are just trying to hit hard fromt he baseline, or grind it to force the error, ect.

These are all ignorant ways to play tennis IMO, and Roger's type of game will be adopted as the new way to play tennis.

You don't need big or special anything, you just simply need the right shot at that right time.

Bungalo Bill 09-07-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackson vile
What Roger has that all other players lack is strategy, he has certain "Plays" just like in basketball or ther games where you have a strategy to win by making openings.

I am assuming you are talking about most beginner and intermediate players. If you are not, then your words above are obviously ignorant to what is happening at a professional level and for that matter college level match. Try telling Nadal or Agassi that they walk on the court with no plan.

Quote:

It is very very rare you will catch Roger baslining someone, he attempts to make openings and then scores.
LOL, eveyr pro according to their style attempts to create openings! Every player uses a style that allows them to do that whether they are all-court players, S&V's, or baseliners. Try telling Nadal he should have played like Federer at the French. He would have laughed (just as I am laughing) in your face.

Quote:

Other players are just trying to hit hard fromt he baseline, or grind it to force the error, ect.
And how might that be? I see Federer press on the gas many times as well!

Quote:

These are all ignorant ways to play tennis IMO, and Roger's type of game will be adopted as the new way to play tennis.
Thank goodness it is just your ignorant opinion.

Quote:

You don't need big or special anything, you just simply need the right shot at that right time.
Yeah you do. Every pro needs a weapon. Federer definetly has his forehand. What are you saying Einstein?

jackson vile 09-07-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungalo Bill
I am assuming you are talking about most beginner and intermediate players. If you are not, then your words above are obviously ignorant to what is happening at a professional level and for that matter college level match. Try telling Nadal or Agassi that they walk on the court with no plan.

LOL, eveyr pro according to their style attempts to create openings! Every player uses a style that allows them to do that whether they are all-court players, S&V's, or baseliners. Try telling Nadal he should have played like Federer at the French. He would have laughed (just as I am laughing) in your face.

And how might that be? I see Federer press on the gas many times as well!

Thank goodness it is just your ignorant opinion.

Yeah you do. Every pro needs a weapon. Federer definetly has his forehand. What are you saying Einstein?

You've been gone that long and you come back right away making personal attacks act like an @$$hole?

What part of I MY OPINION don't you get old man?:mrgreen:

Most of these other players are just hoping for an opening, hoping that the oponent will mess up, or they try hitting heavy spin fast shots ect and those are low percentage shots.

We see people using more and more powerful rackets, and you moronicly tell me that is for strategy?

No that is for moronic bashing which many hated the Williams for.

Roger plays real tennis, full bodied tennis, does not depend on a big serve, ect he depends on his brain.

Just look at how far Andy Roddick has gotten how that he has adopted a more intelligent game plane for his tennis.

Fact is Roger can open up anyone, why? Because he is smart and has the right racket, not some tweener.

He has many plays for just about every scienario, if you do this he will do that to get you back out of position and him back in position.

I see so many of the pros just hitting hard and hopeing for the best, how is that tennis? That is why Roger is one of the best clay courters right now, then all the basher crap right out, why is that?

Roger is not super fast, strong, fit, ect ect he has none of that, not a super racket that hits 155mph serves, his tennis depends on strategy full technique on each and every shot, nobody hits the ball as well or as clean.

That is not talent that is dedication to each shot

and quit being an @$$, so much for your religious thread and your spirituality:rolleyes:

Also I am anything but a Roger fan, I dislike his as a person, he acts a lot like you LOL

Andres 09-07-2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ano
Yes, there were. In 1982, Jimmy Connors won the Wimbledon and the US Open, but at the end of 1982, John McEnroe was the number 1 player in the ATP Ranking.

in 1989, Boris Becker won the Wimbledon and the US Open, but at the end of 1989, Ivan Lendl was the number 1 player in the ATP Ranking.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

1977, Vilas won French Open and US Open.