Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estimated service speed (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=95787)

boojay 09-05-2006 10:49 PM

Estimated service speed (updated with vid, pg.3)

For any of you physics majors out there-if some of my hardest serves can put brand new, fresh out of the can balls through the fence about 30-40% of the time and used balls about 70% of the time, about how fast is my serve? Note that I play at a half dozen different public courts and on average, that's about the percentage I've noticed when I hit 10 hard in a row.

I think one of my hardest ever was when I blasted a used ball through the fence and it eventually came to a stop about 150 feet away on the surrounding grass.

I'm pretty sure I can hit more than 110 mph, but hoping that I can exceed at least 120 mph.

p.s. i've broken my strings 6 times this summer, 5 times on the serve, once on a groundstroke.

andyroddick's mojo 09-05-2006 11:26 PM

are all these serves in? Cause you'd definitely have to be serving in the 130s to get a ball in and go through the back fence. maybe even 140s.

MordredSJT 09-05-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyroddick's mojo
are all these serves in? Cause you'd definitely have to be serving in the 130s to get a ball in and go through the back fence. maybe even 140s.

This would depend quite highly on the fence (how far back from the court it is, how small the open space is, etc.). I used to hit balls through back fences all the time when I was in high school...almost always when I was hitting hard AND with a good deal of spin. I know that I'm capable of serving in the mid 120's and am usually averaging somewhere in the teens for first serves on a good day, but I doubt I was somehow breaking 130 to 140 back then.

This really isn't that great a question for physics majors though (I was one)...it's more anecdotal and for people who have put lots of balls through fences...

boojay 09-05-2006 11:38 PM

are you serious? I didn't think I could serve that fast. You're getting my hopes up here.

Yes, they're going in. That'd be pretty friggin cool if that were the case because I can almost hit a ball through the fence at will if I wanted, but I usually don't go full strength otherwise I pay the price later on and it's a ***** having to sit out a week in order to heal.

skuludo 09-05-2006 11:39 PM

The fences holes are too big that is why you are hitting though it.

Also where on the racket did your snap the string?

boojay 09-05-2006 11:51 PM

that's why i mentioned i played at many different courts, to take into account that maybe the chain-link fences have bigger holes, but i pretty much get the same result at any court. My strings usually snap very close to the sweet spot. And strangely enough, half the time my mains break (even if it looks like my crosses will break). i.e. crosses begin to fray a great deal around sweetspot, but mains will break.

skuludo 09-06-2006 12:10 AM

The park near my home balls can't stick on the fence even if you pushed it by hand.

The fences probly had the same amount of space. You should try measuring them.

Are your serves this fast? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5gLYogcZIE
Those are around 125MPH.

thursdayisgod 09-06-2006 08:07 AM

Spin and location mean more than power to penetrate a fence. I've gotten balls through fences many times (after ball lands in) but I wouldn't assume my serves are over 100 mphs, or even close. Also my ground strokes go through the fence more often than my serves (more spin and land deeper). However I havn't seen your serve so maybe I'm completely off but I think going faster than 100 mph is a more difficult feat than most medium level players think.

drakulie 09-06-2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuludo
Those are around 125MPH.

How do yo know the speed of those serves?

Woodstock_Tennis 09-06-2006 08:48 AM

I saw hot wheels put out a crappy radar gun, go buy it assuming it measures over 50 mph.

BTW that video that was posted, maybe it looks faster in person but that doesn't look over or near 100 to me.

Mike Cottrill 09-06-2006 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie
How do yo know the speed of those serves?

I asked the same question earlier. The guy that posted that serve said that he was clocked at those speeds.

Interesting.
Mike

Fatmike 09-06-2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Those are around 125MPH.

some faster, some slower

ucd_ace 09-06-2006 09:28 AM

Quote:

Also where on the racket did your snap the string?

Ha... yeah, the two biggest servers I know broke strings like crazy! All around the edge of the frame. One was really bad, he'd break a minimum of 1 or 2 a day.

jlspeed29 09-06-2006 09:32 AM

post ur service video... we gotta see this!

drakulie 09-06-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cottrill
I asked the same question earlier. The guy that posted that serve said that he was clocked at those speeds.

Interesting.
Mike

Well, if that is the case and those serves are going 125, then I hit about 170 mph.

Those serves look about 90-100 mph if that.

boojay 09-06-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

The park near my home balls can't stick on the fence even if you pushed it by hand.

The fences probly had the same amount of space. You should try measuring them.

Those are around 125MPH.

yup, pretty confident i can, if not harder. in fact, my balls would still be on the rise as they hit the fence. Also, any balls that get stuck in the fence take quite a bit of effort to get out. My little cousin, who is 15 years old, isn't capable of getting the balls out of the fence, although he doesn't have the greatest grip strength. It takes a bit of effort myself to pull the balls through, especially if it's more than halfway out (obviously), but i usually just kick those right through the fence and get them later.

i agree with the comment about spin and location being pretty important, but if you hit a sissy serve, it's NOT going through the fence (unless the ball is insanely worn out). What I've noticed are averages, so I've taken into account that my balls will hit the fence at random locations with varying degrees of obstruction.

boojay 09-06-2006 10:51 AM

sure, i'll record it when i have free time. i'll even say when i'm trying to hit through the fence and somehow try to capture that at different courts around the city.

i just got a new job (working at a tennis facility!! unfortunately with no radar gun), so my playing schedule is pretty unpredictable now.

Mike Cottrill 09-06-2006 10:54 AM

Quote:

Well, if that is the case and those serves are going 125, then I hit about 170 mph.

Well.. I can never tell much with youtube. I appears that the video is speeded up some?? You may be a little harsh with the 90 though.

boojay 09-06-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thursdayisgod
I've gotten balls through fences many times (after ball lands in) but I wouldn't assume my serves are over 100 mphs, or even close. Also my ground strokes go through the fence more often than my serves (more spin and land deeper). However I havn't seen your serve so maybe I'm completely off but I think going faster than 100 mph is a more difficult feat than most medium level players think.

which is why i'm not making any assumptions either. if i could serve 120, sweet. I find that odd for you because I rarely ever have a groundstroke go through the fence. In fact, I can't even think of a single time that's ever happened. Then again, I'm incapable of hitting flat groundstrokes. What I can tell you is a couple years ago, when I first started playing tennis and could not get a first serve in to save my life, a tennis instructor (not mine, but one on an adjacent court) starting giggling to his beginner students and said that's what a 110 mph serve looks like. Since then, my biomechanics have gotten much better, not perfect, but significantly better.

oh, and p.s., i think the guy in that vid could probably hit harder than what's shown in his video.

ZPTennis 09-06-2006 11:02 AM

Quote:

thats quite funny.
Obviously the best way is having the use of a radar gun. But most people don't own these. Certain tennis clubs can sometimes have them.
I had my serve radared when I went out to play at a club in Naples where I knew the head pro and he came out with a radar gun. My slowest one was 118 and my fastest was 131. It would be pathetic for me to lie about this on a message board but if you don't believe me thats your choice.

I edited the clip of the fastest serve that I recorded in the video I posted earlier. Its not the straight on view one. On this clip, turn the sound way up and ignore the video. Forget the fact im a message board poster on here. Although this won't be perfect, use a stopwatch and time the sound between my serve and the service return. Then time the sound of the same thing with the men playing in the US Open.

Oh and don't use Andy Roddick for comparison.

Heres the clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaPQZ6l8jbY