Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   federer's food, power? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=99651)

defensive4 09-30-2006 02:16 PM

federer's food, power?

has any pro tried taking pace off the ball :confused:

thejackal 09-30-2006 02:43 PM

Santoro got destroyed the last few times he played Fed.

Nadal_Freak 09-30-2006 02:49 PM

The only way to beat Federer is to hit tons of topspin to Federer's backhand and the surface has to be slow.

superman1 09-30-2006 04:55 PM

It is SO much more complicated than that, Nadal Freak. If Nadal wasn't such a fighter and was not one of the fastest guys on tour, Federer would smoke him, topspin or not.

ATXtennisaddict 09-30-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superman1
It is SO much more complicated than that, Nadal Freak. If Nadal wasn't such a fighter and was not one of the fastest guys on tour, Federer would smoke him, topspin or not.

I agree.

Nadal_Freak 09-30-2006 05:38 PM

Yeah but having a major topspin shot is a prequisite to playing Federer. I don't see anyone beating Federer by overpowering him.

nViATi 09-30-2006 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadal_Freak
Yeah but having a major topspin shot is a prequisite to playing Federer. I don't see anyone beating Federer by overpowering him.

Marat Safin, Australian Open.

Nadal_Freak 09-30-2006 05:44 PM

Safin was like a backboard in that match as I remember. Very similar to Nalbandian.

splink779 09-30-2006 06:02 PM

You just can't let him so easily get the upperhand in a rally, and I think its as simple as that. He can only come up with incredible shots for so long in a match. Safin pressured him with deep, fast balls, Nalbandian kept it deep and counterpunched, and Nadal hits very heavy and can make up for some short balls by being so fast. I just watched Federer destroy Wang at the Open. Wang was simply rallying crosscourt on a lot of shots - no pace and mid court balls. That won't do. You can't clay court Federer (Nadal is the exception because hes obviously special). Hewitt rallies and simply gets destroyed.

Back to the OP - Hewitt does this and gets spanked, as does Santoro.

Nadal_Freak 09-30-2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splink779
You just can't let him so easily get the upperhand in a rally, and I think its as simple as that. He can only come up with incredible shots for so long in a match. Safin pressured him with deep, fast balls, Nalbandian kept it deep and counterpunched, and Nadal hits very heavy and can make up for some short balls by being so fast. I just watched Federer destroy Wang at the Open. Wang was simply rallying crosscourt on a lot of shots - no pace and mid court balls. That won't do. You can't clay court Federer (Nadal is the exception because hes obviously special). Hewitt rallies and simply gets destroyed.

Back to the OP - Hewitt does this and gets spanked, as does Santoro.

You can clay court Federer's backhand but stay away from his forehand with weak shots. Safin was consistently hitting deep and keeping Federer out of attacking position. He also was very consistent which is key against Federer. You can't make many mistakes.

DarkSephiroth 09-30-2006 06:45 PM

Good statements around this thread, but failed to mention how Nadal's lefty arched topspin spins high to Federer's backhand side, a high backhand that is tough to hit.

Nadal_Freak 09-30-2006 08:33 PM

Yeah true. The topspin also goes away from Federer instead going to Federer which is the case for right handed players.

superman1 09-30-2006 10:29 PM

But it's predictable. Federer should be able to read it and figure out a way to deal with it. Everything Nadal does is very predictable. I believe in Rome he served to the same spots almost every time. I think to Federer's backhand.

Rhino 10-01-2006 03:04 AM

I thought this was going to be a thread about what Federer eats.

slice bh compliment 10-01-2006 05:04 AM

Ja, what does Fedi eat? He eats POWER. Next qvestion, please.

That threadtitle fished me in, too.;)

I remember when a young Fedi lacked the patience for slower tennis.
Seems like a long time ago.

Nalbandian and Safin have beaten him with a good mix of backhand down the lines and the aforementioned backboard (pong-ish) strategy. Berdych and Baghdatis (and Roddick) have pushed him with power. Nadal with the heavy top and the incredible intensity.

Rhino 10-02-2006 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slice bh compliment
Ja, what does Fedi eat? He eats POWER. Next qvestion, please.

OK this is what Fed actually eats (according to his recent blog in Tokyo):

"I love Japanese food a lot and I eat it anywhere I go as it seems to be the 'in' food. It's healthy food with a lot of rice and vegetables. Over the last few years I started to eat fish and meat, so I can enjoy sushi and sashimi as well."

Elenkov 10-02-2006 03:58 AM

i would be interested to see how a volleyer does against him. too bad there aren't any good ones around anymore ;o\. is it just to hard to approach nowdays?

slice bh compliment 10-02-2006 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elenkov
i would be interested to see how a volleyer does against him. too bad there aren't any good ones around anymore ;o\. is it just to hard to approach nowdays?

True. And Henman used to do great against him.
Now their matches are just the stuff of highlight reels. They seem to meet early in a lot in Slams. Unfortunate for Tiger Tim.

Phil 10-02-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nViATi
Marat Safin, Australian Open.

How do you figure? Safin won in 5 sets, one of them a tie breaker, and the final set going 9-7. That doesn't sound like being "overpowered" to me.

fishuuuuu 10-02-2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil
How do you figure? Safin won in 5 sets, one of them a tie breaker, and the final set going 9-7. That doesn't sound like being "overpowered" to me.

I think he meant it loosely, Roger was getting blown about at times in that match when Marat managed to set off some incredible backhands (and forehands). But obviously just trying to outhit Roger is an incredulous idea.

It was just his moments of inspiration combined with the aforementioned consistency through (most) of the match that allowed him to gain an edge in the match. Especially in the fourth set tiebreaker.