Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What performance enhancers do you take? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=9996)

Skinny Dip 08-04-2004 12:48 AM

What performance enhancers do you take?

I don't know how common this is, but I have all kinds of performance enhancers that I couldn't live without. For example:

Emergen-C - packets of vitamin C that you mix in with your drink. Very restorative;

Ginseng - Amazing the way you can run so much more and tire so much less;

Sam-e - Keeps my mood in balance (don't get nearly as angry or frustrated) plus it's great for the muscles and joints keeping the body looser and more flexible during play.

I usually take all three, EmergenC and Ginseng extract in my drink and 400 mgs of Sam-e in pill form. Anyone else using enhancers?

Chuck 08-04-2004 07:56 AM

Pharmanex Overdrive 45 minutes before I play.

Phil 08-04-2004 08:59 PM

None of that stuff works-you're wasting your money. If you THINK it works, that's fine, but do the reasearch and you'll find that most supplements are a scam. If you can't "live without" this garbage then you're obviously in bad shape to begin with or you have very poor nutrition habits.

speedofpain88 08-04-2004 09:20 PM

None, Phil said it.

ffrpg 08-04-2004 11:45 PM

I also agree, you don't really need to take any of that stuff. Just eat right.

Cypo 08-05-2004 12:09 AM

Aint nobodies business but my own....

Maybe ginseng though only works in conjunction with progesterone....(I like it too)

newbie123 08-05-2004 04:55 AM

I think Vitamin C tablets work pretty well

@wright 08-05-2004 09:33 AM

I just can't live without my black tar heroine.

Kirko 08-05-2004 08:42 PM

B-Complex before I go to sleep no stress has every opportunity to work @ its top end.

Kobble 08-05-2004 11:08 PM

Dude, change you handle to King Placebo.

joe sch 08-06-2004 07:32 AM

coffee in the morning and beer in the evening. Often midday teas(e) :wink:

Skinny Dip 08-07-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil
None of that stuff works-you're wasting your money. If you THINK it works, that's fine, but do the reasearch and you'll find that most supplements are a scam. If you can't "live without" this garbage then you're obviously in bad shape to begin with or you have very poor nutrition habits.

Garbage? Placebo? Scam? Pretty ignorant and harsh words for Vitamin C and Ginseng the latter being used for centuries by althletes and others around the world. As for vitamin C, OK genius, you're right no value whatsoever - I'd petition to get Linus Paulings Nobel prize revoked immediately.

Why don't you give your cranium a workout by coming up with a thoughtful response instead of just spewing knee jerk drivel.

Phil 08-07-2004 09:34 PM

Quote:

Garbage? Placebo? Scam? Pretty ignorant and harsh words for Vitamin C and Ginseng the latter being used for centuries by althletes and others around the world. As for vitamin C, OK genius, you're right no value whatsoever - I'd petition to get Linus Paulings Nobel prize revoked immediately.

Why don't you give your cranium a workout by coming up with a thoughtful response instead of just spewing knee jerk drivel.
As P.T. Barnum said, there's one of your type born every minute-i.e. suckers. The "knee jerk drivel" comes from 15 years of reading about, and experimenting (on myself) with "health" supplements. I know more about this than you, trust me. You obviously know NOTHING about nutrition or supplementation, and are looking for a "magic pill" as a substitute for hard work and sound nutritional planning. You are, I assume, a lazy person who doesn't want to put in the work. As I suggested, do the research and stop wasting your money. Otherwise, take YOUR drivel elsewhere.

Skinny Dip 08-08-2004 08:42 AM

These aren't health supplements, they're performance supplements as you might gather from the thread title. There have been a number of studies on the performance enhancing attributes of all the supplements I've mentioned, that you obviously haven't come across in your 15 years of "scholarship" on the subject.

If you have anything to back up your claims that these studies, and most of the medical community are wrong, lets hear it. I guess its a sign of the time that aggressive uninformed blather is preferred to thoughtful discussion these days.

gmlasam 08-08-2004 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinny Dip
These aren't health supplements, they're performance supplements as you might gather from the thread title. There have been a number of studies on the performance enhancing attributes of all the supplements I've mentioned, that you obviously haven't come across in your 15 years of "scholarship" on the subject.

If you have anything to back up your claims that these studies, and most of the medical community are wrong, lets hear it. I guess its a sign of the time that aggressive uninformed blather is preferred to thoughtful discussion these days.

Hhahahahahahha!!! Good points Skinny Dip!! :lol:

Phil 08-08-2004 04:48 PM

Nothing that you mentioned will "enhance performace". Just your choice of gushing blurb-like language to describe the effects of these things is pretty ridiculous sounding. There's plenty of data to back ME up, but here, on this board, I'm not going to do your research for you. Like I said, you're a lazy person. However, if you take a read through this site: http://www.quackwatch.org/, you'll find some interesting items that are sure to deflate your magic pill hopes. The so-called "medical professionals" who endorse your products are paid spokesmen. Much of these supplements or whatever you want to call them, are produced by a couple factories in Utah, which sell people dreams, as one of their spokesman said in a recent article in the New Yorker.

And I'm familiar with ginsing and sam-e. You haven't provided anything but defensive comments to "support" your claims. But it's your money and it's a free country-you can stay a sucker-that's not my problem. The fact that you're so defensive about it indicates to me that you're not all that on board with this junk, and you were looking for a little "group support" for your decision to put this dirt into your body. You didn't receive that support, obviously, because, there aren't so many suckers on this board (Actually, there are, but you'll have to visit the Racquets Board to find them). If you only KNEW how much the supplement/vitamin industry is taking consumers for, you might be sick.

Phil 08-08-2004 06:27 PM

I'll only add that there is/was ONE "performance enhancer", if that's your preferred term, that actually WORKED. That was ephedrine-but many/most states have banned it due to a few highly publicized deaths (probably due to overuse/abuse). My preferred brand was TwinLab Ripped Fuel. It worked, but I only took it before I played on mornings following evening matches (i.e. every Saturday from September to May). If you still WANT to get similar effects (basically being able to play all day long without fatigue), you can buy Ma Huang, the natural ingredient used in ephidrine, at a Chinese drug/herb store (in NYC or California-if you live in Muncie, IN, you're probably out of luck). Be careful if you do-take too much of this stuff and you risk cardiac arrest. The pills were small, controlled doses, sold in its natural state, Ma Huang can be dangerous.

Kobble 08-08-2004 08:07 PM

Skinny Dip, I had a similar view on the supplement industry as you do now. I read all the University supported highlights on the next greatest thing coming down the pipe. The only thing I have ever taken that is worth the money is the ephedrine based supplements, everything else was pretty useless. When I was in high school a friend of mine worked at nutrition world, he stole and used more products than you could imagine. He came to the conclusion that most all of it does nothing, he said it wasn't even worth stealing anymore. Most of the people who market this crap are just frustrated muscleheads who need to make up for their unfortunate career path, and hustling chemistry scam artists like Bob Barefoot. Bill Phillips was/is another one who had big hype. He was a "former" steroid user who got into the magazine business, and used the the performance enhancers as supplimental income. And then we have Joe Weider, the man who has taken every simple exercise movement and made a claim to the origin of them. Have you ever priced chromium piccolinate from his or any hustler's brand and have noticed that it is much more expensive than the store brand? You are probably thinking that they must sell the real stuff, not the generic impure crap. Well, all of chromium piccolinate comes from a company called Nutrition 21. Look on the label, it will likey still have the label if Nutrition 21 is still the source. The other brands jack up the price for no reason, and the stuff doesn't work anyway. You don't think a similar thing is done with other vitamins and minerals. What do you think? That people like me and Phil were just unfortunately around when the industry was full of scam artists, but now they are regulated and have integrity, please. The FDA does nothing to stop most of their scams, because they are only dangerous to your wallet, and they don't have time to police everything. Do your homework, pick up a college biology book, and this lesson in your life will be a cheaper one.

Skinny Dip 08-09-2004 12:37 AM

Phil, so even though all supplements are scams there IS the exception of one that happened to work for you. Exactly the kind of scholarship I imagined.

Saying there's no quality control or oversight in the supplements industry is very different than saying that vitamin C (electrolytes or whatever) can't be restorative to overought muscles etc, or that Ginseng doesn't help with endurance (being used by Asian Athletes for centuries not to mention being proven to generate steroids and testasterone) are two completely different arguments.

Argh I'm wasting my breath. You're right, all medical progress was a fake until the AMA came into existance and Iraq was behind 911. You go girls.

Phil 08-09-2004 01:10 AM

People like you, Skinny Dip, are a marketing manager's DREAM. Gullible to the max, sucked in brainwashed by hype, and actually EAGER to part with your cash based on FAITH alone. Stay a sucker. I was just trying to save you a lot of money and time (as was Kobble in his comments). Ephedrine didn't work for me ONLY, but the fact is, nothing else HAS. If you gave me the crap you're taking for free, I'd chuck it.

I have yet to see any "scholarship" from you other than parroting what is printed on the back of the packages of the supplements you buy-and we all know how reliable and truthful that is.

As far as Asian athletes using ginsing for centuries, well, Haitian witch doctors have been casting spells for centuries too-that isn't a valid comparison-I really wouldn't decide how I spend my money based on another culture's backwards superstitions. Your last two comments, although an attempt at sarcasm, betray an ignorance and close mindedness that, well, I already knew. Bye bye, sucker. And don't say Phil didn't tell you so, when you finally realize how much money you've stuffed down the drain.