Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Federer, Laureus Sportsman of the Year 3-peat? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=99971)

dysonlu 10-02-2006 09:28 PM

Federer, Laureus Sportsman of the Year 3-peat?
 
Do you guys think Federer will win again this year (3 times in a row)? If not,
who else might be a better sportsman than him this year?

(Tiger Woods and Michael Schumacher have won it twice.)

Fedexeon 10-02-2006 09:28 PM

Probably... If he wins the remaining 2 masters series and masters cup, i bet he will sure get it.

Swissv2 10-02-2006 09:52 PM

no. it will seem unfair at this point.

opiate 10-02-2006 09:58 PM

if Schumacher can finish on top this year, I'm sure he has at least a 60% chance of winning the Laureus. He's retiring this year, methinks; and I think it'll be a nice farewell. Plus, people thought he was pretty much through when he failed to defend last year (losing to alonso, I think), so him winning this year would be extra sweet.

justineheninhoogenbandfan 10-02-2006 10:32 PM

I dont think Michael will get it. If he wins(and I hope he doesnt, I hate him)
it will be barely winning, and only because he had a faster car then his chief rival 60% of the year and his chief rival had 2 horrable mechanical failures that cost him alot of points.

Roger will win it, if not him Tiger but Tiger's year overall is probably not any better then last years still, even the amazing finishing streak, and last year when I thought Tiger would win it they gave it to Roger. Roger's year this year is better then last clearly so I suspect he wins it again.

alienhamster 10-02-2006 10:42 PM

No offense to the Laureus, but I'm hoping Federer can actually land himself a Sports Illustrated cover and/or "Sportsman of the Year." Loooooooooooong overdue, and he needs more exposure to US fans.

vive le beau jeu ! 10-03-2006 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justineheninhoogenbandfan
I dont think Michael will get it. If he wins(and I hope he doesnt, I hate him)

i hate him too !
... please give this award to roger ! ;)

Fedexeon 10-03-2006 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alienhamster
No offense to the Laureus, but I'm hoping Federer can actually land himself a Sports Illustrated cover and/or "Sportsman of the Year." Loooooooooooong overdue, and he needs more exposure to US fans.

The judges are biased to Americans.

FiveO 10-03-2006 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedexeon
The judges are biased to Americans.

I just love these blanket statements. If they are so biased, how does Federer have a chance to 3-peat?

That being said, while Schu may be the sentimental favorite, so is AA (not for his year but for career recognition), and while Fed had arguably his best year yet, Woods just won his 6th stroke play event in a row. It should be interesting for those who care but I'll go out on a limb and tell you Americans as a whole don't know and/or care about this award and especially when it comes to niche sports like tennis most Americans respond more to SI's and Espy covers/awards.

Fedubai 10-03-2006 07:19 AM

I think the previous poster was referring to the judges of the SI as biased, and as an American myself, I think I agree with that. It's shortsighted and very biased, but who cares about SI anyway, it's a junk magazine.

Sentimental favorites aren't supposed to have anything to do with who wins the Laureus award. It's about results, and based on that Agassi doesn't have a chance. Tiger, Federer, and Schumacher are the favorites. I don't know much about Schumacher, but just because Tiger won six tournaments in a row, big deal. Federer has won 4 tournaments in a row more than once I believe, but would that win him the Laureus? I don't think so. 3 GS's in one year and a (so far) 72-5 record is the big issue. Tiger won, what, two? I don't see it as equal to Federer's credentials this year.

Fedexeon 10-03-2006 08:31 AM

Correct, i'm referring to SI Athlete of the Year judges.. =) Sorry for not stating that.

BigServer1 10-03-2006 08:37 AM

I thought that the Laz award was about more than just on feild/court/track achievements. Am I wrong? I thought that charitable work and other things factored in...oh well, I could be wrong.

Anyway, screw SI, they have lost all credibility with knowledgeable sports fans( see annual NFL preview). What Roger needs is an ESPN the Mag cover.

justineheninhoogenbandfan 10-03-2006 09:05 AM

Tiger Woods dealt with some horrable personal tragedy off the golf course, like his fathers illness and subseguent death that impacted his performance early in the year. Had it not been for that it might have turned out to be his best year ever the way he finished the year.

Hal 10-03-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opiate
if Schumacher can finish on top this year, I'm sure he has at least a 60% chance of winning the Laureus. He's retiring this year, methinks; and I think it'll be a nice farewell. Plus, people thought he was pretty much through when he failed to defend last year (losing to alonso, I think), so him winning this year would be extra sweet.

I'd like to see Schumi win it this year. Hopefully he'll take that next two races, giving him the drivers championship. It's quite a shame to see Schumi leave F1.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Alonso the fist waving whiner will do next year in the McLaren. My guess is that Kimi gets his first drivers championship in 2007.

Moose Malloy 10-03-2006 11:01 AM

The reason Federer has never been on the cover of SI has nothing to do with Federer & everything to do with the fact that tennis is a completely irrelevant sport in the US since the 1980s.

Tennis players(not just the American ones) were on the cover all the time in the 80s, & virtually disappeared from covers since the early 90s

Sampras, a 7 time Wimbledon & 5 time US Open champion was on the cover of SI only 3 times in his entire career(& wasn't on the cover when he broke the slam record in 2000)

Agassi, one of the most popular champions, was only on the cover 3 times.

Courier, Chang, Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, Kuerten, Davenport, Hingis have never been on the cover of SI.

I think Agassi in 1999 was the last male player to get an SI cover. Since then Venus, Serena, Kournikova, & Sharapova are the tennis players to get a cover.

Since Sampras was so uninteresting to American sports fans, I wouldn't count on Federer ever receiving an SI cover, even if he wins the calendar Grand Slam(which would coincide with week one of the NFL, so it would be kinda stupid to put him on the cover)

Quote:

don't know much about Schumacher, but just because Tiger won six tournaments in a row, big deal. Federer has won 4 tournaments in a row more than once I believe, but would that win him the Laureus? I don't think so. 3 GS's in one year and a (so far) 72-5 record is the big issue. Tiger won, what, two? I don't see it as equal to Federer's credentials this year.
You don't know much about Tiger either, apparently. Compare Tiger relative to golfers accomplishments & his streaks/records are historic. No one has ever had this sort of domination in golf. No one has won 6 in a row in golf since the 40s. Many have won 6 in a row in tennis in the open era.

Not the same with Federer & tennis(& tennis only became a pro sport in 1968, while golf has always had a long history of accurate records) Laver, Budge, McEnroe, Connors so many others have had streaks/years similar to Federer.

justineheninhoogenbandfan 10-03-2006 11:02 AM

Schumacher retiring will save Formula One. The ratings were at an all time low in recent years. The ratings actually increased since he stopped dominating as well.

Hal 10-03-2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justineheninhoogenbandfan
Schumacher retiring will save Formula One. The ratings were at an all time low in recent years. The ratings actually increased since he stopped dominating as well.

This makes about as much sense as saying that Tennis would be better if Federer retired. The rest of the field just has to step it up.

Fedubai 10-03-2006 11:26 AM

What matters is grand slams moreso than just a streak of 6 tournaments in a row.

Moose Malloy 10-03-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

What matters is grand slams moreso than just a streak of 6 tournaments in a row.
ok, so how many golfers have won 2 majors in one year in the history of golf? i'm betting less than the amount of tennis players that have won 3 in one year in the history of tennis. Thats how you can determine who has had a better year.

either tiger or federer deserve any awards they get, but compare their accomplishments to their sport, not each others.

justineheninhoogenbandfan 10-03-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hal
This makes about as much sense as saying that Tennis would be better if Federer retired. The rest of the field just has to step it up.

If Federer was in his 30s and as dominant as he was now alot of people would be saying his retirement would save tennis as well.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse