View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 05:05 AM   #12
vive le beau jeu !
Legend

Location: Ometepe, Pink Granite, Queyras, Kerguelen Islands, Sierra del Diablo, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban
Beckers clay record isn't that bad despite never winning an official event. I saw him win a small exhibition in the Netherlands over Sampras. He was finalist in Monte Carlo thrice, finalist in Hamburg (losing to a slice-baller named Aguilera), finalist at Rome, and three times semifinalist at Paris. And he won important DC matches on clay vs US and Sweden.
although i was not a becker fan, i have to agree with that... it's really surprising that he didn't manage to win one !
i remember he kept trying at the end of his career when he played some summer clay court events in 1998 (the year when he skipped wimbledon) and was once again close to achieve it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD
Also remember that Philippoussis won both of his matches in the 1999 Davis Cup Final against France, which was played on red clay. It mightn't have been a tournament per se but played on red clay and in France it was an almighty achievement. Of course, Philippoussis did grow up playing on dirt courts.
he was so strong during this davis cup final...
grosjean may have been a bit "tender" the 1st day... but what a match vs pioline !
impressive.
vive le beau jeu ! is offline   Reply With Quote