View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #12
SB
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak View Post
... For instance, I've heard of leagues in Colorado that are combo/mixed. So you play teams of mixed doubles, but the players add up to 6.5 or 7.5. I think, but I'm not sure, that the women had to be equal or higher rated than the man. This would make for much different matches than the 6.0/7.0/8.0 mixed, as all the players on the court would be close(r) to equal in playing ability. ...
The mixed combo league in Colorado is in the fall, and it is actually a sectional league (I'm not sure how many other states play it ... does Utah? I don't know). They just recently switched over to combo; for many years it was a straight 3.0 or 3.5 or 4.0 etc. league.

I'm not aware of any restriction on ratings in any mixed league ... as far as I have seen, you could have a 4.5 guy and a 3.0 woman in a 7.5 league. It might have changed, because I didn't play mixed last season, but I know I once played a 5.5 guy and a 3.5 lady combination in our 9.0 league.

(That was a weird match ... talk about trying to aim every single shot at one person. It worked for a set, but when the guy is about 6'5" and I believe was then ranked 1 or 2 nationally in men's 40s or 45s, there wasn't a lot we could do. I think he could have beaten us faster WITHOUT her on the court, just playing by himself.

Actually, I'm certain he could have beaten us faster, because we wouldn't have had her serve to pick on or her mistakes to give us points. His serve kept bouncing over my head, and I'm pretty tall. If I moved in to take it on the rise, he'd just blast a flat one past me. It was fun to be on the court with someone that good, though.)
SB is offline   Reply With Quote